Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Bush Says Laws Must Treat Immigrants `With Respect'

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... 8&refer=us

Bush Says Laws Must Treat Immigrants `With Respect' (Update1)
    April 24 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush, seeking to refocus the immigration debate in Congress, said the government must attack the ``underground industry'' that thrives on illegal immigration while treating undocumented workers ``with respect.''

The president, speaking to the Orange County Business Council in California, said the U.S. must enforce laws to block illegal immigrants and against hiring those workers without forcing small businesses to become document inspectors.

Creating a program for temporary workers and issuing them ``tamper-proof'' identification cards would help solve the dilemma of how to deal with the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants already in the country, Bush said. Deporting them is not an answer, he said.

``I know this is an emotional debate, but one thing we can't lose sight of is that we're talking about human beings,'' Bush told the group of business owners. ``Massive deportation of people here is not going to work.''

Lawmakers are returning to Washington today after a two- week break and legislation to overhaul the nation's immigration laws is among the top priorities on their calendar. Members of Congress are facing elections in November, and Bush's proposal for a guest worker program has divided his fellow Republicans.

A Senate plan that includes a guest worker provision clashes with House legislation that deals only with enforcement and would fund construction of a 700-miles fence along the 3,000-mile U.S.-Mexico border.

Protests

The more restrictive House version sparked protests across the country by Hispanic groups, who would be most affected by the legislation. People of Hispanic origin comprise 12.5 percent of the U.S. population, according to the Census Bureau. California, the nation's most populous state, is 32 percent Hispanic, most of those from Mexico.

Bush said border enforcement should focus on illegal contraband and national security rather than trying to catch people coming to the country looking for work.

``It is really hard to enforce the border with a lot of people sneaking across the border to do jobs,'' Bush said. ``We want our boarder patrol hunting down gun runners and drug smugglers.''

He also sympathized with the plight of business owners who are trying to hire workers and may be confronted with forged documents presented by potential employees.

Employers

``Our small business owners are no document checkers,'' Bush said. `It is difficult to hold an employer to account.''

The current system has encouraged an ``underground industry'' of middlemen who are ``stuffing human beings in the back of trucks'' and provide false documents, he said.

``A lot of decent, hard working people'' have lost their lives trying to get across the border, Bush said.

A Bloomberg/Los Angeles Times poll earlier this month showed 64 percent of Republican voters support proposals to give legal status to undocumented workers and legislation that combines tougher enforcement of immigration laws with new temporary-worker programs, along the lines Bush favors. The April 8-11 survey of 1,357 adults has an error margin of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

To contact the reporter on this story:
    Roger Runningen in Irvine, California, at rrunningen@bloomberg.net;
    Holly Rosenkrantz in Washington at hrosenkrantz@bloomberg.net
    Last Updated: April 24, 2006 13:26 EDT
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Eh i vote for jorge bush to be impeached.

I vote for impeachment also. Count me in on that!!
    Pro Patri Vigilans! Death to Aztlan!!

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
    Bush, what goes around comes around.
    As Rodney Dangerfield says, "I can't get no respect."

So what ever they get, they diserve.

I'd give them a ride to the border before I'd give them my respect.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Bush
    Bush Says Laws Must Treat Immigrants `With Respect'
    American people say Bush must treat legal citizens "With Respect".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's gotten me in trouble, but trust and respect I have first. Till I've been proven it's been mis-placed or not deserved. I give plenty of chances for human frailty. I "understand" about any plight or reason given. I treat others as I would want to be treated etc. But then there comes a point, when I've soulsearched, beat myself up for having any negative thoughts or feelings, etc and THEN that wall goes up and now that trust and respect must be earned. And I tell you, 99 times out of 100.....I never get back a smitten of understanding or anything else in return from those kind of people. I was used, abused and punished for freely giving something very valuable and seen as a sucker, a fool, a doormat etc for doing so. For 20 years they had it.......no more.

Demonstrators protest outside Bush immigration speech in Irv

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 417306.htm

GILLIAN FLACCUS
    Associated Press

IRVINE, Calif. - Several hundred demonstrators from both sides of the immigration issue protested outside President Bush's speech Monday at an Orange County hotel.

With Congress returning from a two-week recess, the speech let Bush relaunch his proposal for a temporary guest worker program. It also gave a venue for protesters in a region where the immigration debate has become increasingly heated.

More than an hour before Bush arrived, protesters from the Minuteman Project - the volunteer border patrol group whose co-founder ran for Congress in Orange County - were chanting "Go back to Mexico" and "God Bless America."

Across a driveway, a cluster of demonstrators also chanted and waved peace signs to protest the Minuteman group, Bush's immigration policy and the war in Iraq. In all, there were about 250 protesters, split evenly between both sides.

The protest outside the Hyatt Regency Irvine illustrated a political divide in Washington, D.C., where lawmakers remain far apart on whether to crack down on illegal immigrants or embrace them as vital parts of the U.S. economy.

Bush, speaking to the Orange County Business Council at an invitation-only event, said he wants a law that will strengthen border security while giving temporary guest worker permits to illegal immigrants in low-paying jobs.

"It seems rational to me and logical to me to say, 'OK, fine, you can come and do a job Americans won't do for a temporary period of time with a tamperproof card,'" Bush said.

Barbara Coe, founder and chairwoman of the group California Coalition for Immigration Reform, was among demonstrators mingling with members of the Minuteman Project.

"Bush is a traitor to this country," Coe said. "I am terrified for the future of my country and my children. It is our hope that this treacherous amnesty bill will be defeated and our further hope that our borders will be secured and the lives of our people protected."

Ron Weller, 61, a retired warehouse worker from La Habra, said he voted for Bush in 2000 but voted Independent in 2004 because he wants a border fence.

"If a fence doesn't work then why does Bush have one around the White House?" Weller asked.

Nearby, anti-Minuteman demonstrators chanted "We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us."

Jim Luna, 40, a legal immigrant who came to the U.S. from Guatemala at 5, said he opposed Bush's policies and believes illegal immigrants are pawns for American corporations.

"They want the cheap labor and Mexico encourages it because they are getting money from all the illegals who send money back," Luna said.

Fellow protesters hoisted peace signs and placards reading, "Bush, stop denying the truth" and "Impeach Bush."

Marya Bangee, 19, was one of about 20 Muslin students from the University of California, Irvine who came to protest the president.

"We believe that he's the executor of unjust wars overseas," Bangee said. "We believe all people should be treated equally and this nation is made of immigrants

pics:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-24004.html

Our small business owners are no document checkers,'' Bush said. `It is difficult to hold an employer to account.''
    Yeah RIGHT! The government already has a system in place to instantly verify a potential employee's SS #. No computer? How about a 2 minute (or less) call to same government verification departments 800#?

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnv.htm

Oh, thats right! It's never been a mandatory employer requirement.

Just another bogus excuse to continue the flow of cheap labor.

Well, Bush has certainly made it plain who HIS people are...not Americans, for sure.

Too worried about the 'impact' on invaders...sheesh...

IMPEACH HIM NOW

MJ

The Decider is a boob. Its the American taxpayers who are being disrespected in this whole debate. We are a compassionate, welcoming people, but we respect law and order. We do not like being taken advantage of, nor do we feel it is necessary to give respect to others when they do not reciprocate in kind.
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast