Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Bush, senators agree on alien citizenship, shut out critics

http://www.washingtontimes.com/function ... 1912-1269r

Bush, senators agree on alien citizenship, shut out critics
    By Stephen Dinan
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    Published April 26, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    President Bush and a group of senators yesterday reached general agreement on an immigration bill that includes a pathway to citizenship for many illegal aliens.

But left out of the closed-door White House meeting were senators who oppose a path to citizenship. The meeting even snubbed two men who had been considered allies of Mr. Bush on immigration -- Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican and chairman of the immigration subcommittee, and Sen. Jon Kyl, Arizona Republican.

Mr. Bush in brief remarks to the press said there was agreement to get "a bill that does not grant automatic amnesty to people, but a bill that says, somebody who is working here on a legal basis has the right to get in line to become a citizen." But senators, speaking afterward, said Mr. Bush was far more specific in the meeting.

"There was a pretty good consensus that what we have put into the Hagel-Martinez proposal here is the right way to go," said Sen. Mel Martinez, Florida Republican. "I think he was very clear [on] pathway to citizenship, so long as it goes to the back of the line, and he even opened the door here for something we've haggled back and forth on, that you can shrink the time for people to become citizens by simply enlarging the number of green cards."

And Sen. Sam Brownback, Kansas Republican, said Mr. Bush "endorsed the concept of an earned citizenship."

That would represent a substantial change on the part of the Bush administration, which just last year said it opposed a path to citizenship for those currently here illegally.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told the Senate Judiciary Committee in October the administration didn't support "a path through which they can get their permanent residence or citizenship," and Labor Secretary Elaine L. Chao echoed that: "We feel that a pathway to citizenship would reward those who have violated our laws."

The Hagel-Martinez bill would divide illegal aliens into three groups. Most of those who have been in the country for more than five years would be granted access to citizenship, those here more than two years but less than five years would have to go home first but would also be eligible for citizenship, while those here two years or less would not have a path.

Even as Mr. Bush is moving in that direction, the House majority leader yesterday rejected it.

"This idea that was being kicked around the Senate about providing some sort of amnesty for those who have been here five years or more, I just think it was a very big mistake," House Majority Leader John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican, said yesterday. "You are just inviting more people to come."

Still, the senators in yesterday's meeting were thrilled with where the debate is, and the direction Mr. Bush is headed.

"He hasn't endorsed the Senate bill, but I think it's a big step forward in that direction and gives assurances that if we pass legislation of that sort, that we'll have support from the president when we get into conference," said Sen. Arlen Specter, chairman of the Judiciary Committee.

"I'm not in the habit of patting the president on the back and sending him accolades, but I have to say that this meeting that we just had, I have to pat the president on the back," said Minority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat. "This was really, I thought, a good, good meeting."

Mr. Cornyn, the immigration subcommittee chairman who was not invited to the meeting, said through a spokesman he didn't see a need to be there.

"Senator Cornyn has been consistent and transparent on where he stands, and on his call for comprehensive reform without amnesty," said Mr. Cornyn's spokesman, Don Stewart. "The president didn't need to convince Senator Cornyn to stop playing politics and blocking votes -- he can save that message for the minority leader."

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said the invitees were senators who are leading the fight for a comprehensive bill.

"These are people who have been very involved in this issue, and people that I think are committed to finding a way forward to get comprehensive reform done and moving beyond the procedural tactics that have held this agreement from going forward," he said.

The meeting included Mr. Reid, whom Mr. McClellan a day earlier had accused of being the sole obstacle to a bill. "It's Senator Reid's procedural gimmicks that stopped it from moving forward before the recess," Mr. McClellan told reporters aboard Air Force One on Monday.

Also in yesterday's meeting were Republican Sens. Bill Frist, Lindsey Graham, Judd Gregg, Chuck Hagel, John McCain and Mitch McConnell, and Democratic Sens. Richard J. Durbin, Edward M. Kennedy, Patrick J. Leahy, Joe Lieberman, Robert Menendez, Barack Obama and Ken Salazar
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My heart has dropped into my stomach. Sickening, just sickening. Will anyone be able to stop them?
    Americans First!

The President get his way

I am thoroughly disgusted with this President and his lock step cronies.
    With 85% of the American People opposed to this Amnesty that the President and senators have cooked up, I am afraid that this also ends the Republican Party, as any of us knew it in the past. At least it has for me.
    Since the President shut out any Senators opposed to this bill he is not listending to the American people nor does he intend to.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can stop this madness?
    Passing this bill will change American Culture forever!
    "When injustice become law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

Since Senators Kyl and Cornyn were stiffed by the White House, now would be a good time to call and write them. Tell them that it should be obvious by now, that Bush has no interest in their views and that they should fillibuster any bill that includes amnesty/"earned citizenship". Maybe they will be more inclined now to openly reject the president.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

If Mr Bush continues his disregard for the oath he took as president, he needs to be impeached ASAP, along with his possee of traitors.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am just disgusted reading this.."Closed door" meetings? Next time I wish someone would bolt and lock the door on the outside and not let them back out.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

George Bush is getting way out there when he keeps out the politicians that don't see his side out of the meeting, where is the democracy there? We are going to have to get rid of him before he destroys our country, now let's talk about who is going to be president if we do get rid of him?
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....

Closed door meeting? Why? They are suppose to be public officials. What do they have to hide that they don't want us to know about huh? I'm sick of these back door deals so they can shaft America without our knowledge. This is disgusting on all levels. Vote all treasonous Republicans out NOW. When election day is over, impeach this piece of crap and his cronies.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is why so many do not get involved, because they already know that no matter what "The People " want the so called leaders do whatever they please!

The Invaders will get their Amnesty, and we get to foot the bill!

If we think the Invaders Leaders are smug, bold and arrognat now, there will be no living with them once they get their way!

Okay, I'm glad that Bush and the senators have come to an agreement. NOW ALL THEY HAVE TO DO CONSULT THEIR BOSS -- WHICH IS US!!!!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast