Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Business groups can't stop Fla. immigration bills

Business groups can't stop Fla. immigration bills

Apr. 14, 2011 03:13 PM
    Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither tears, nor prayer nor opposition from influential business groups could sway a House committee that voted largely along party lines Thursday for a Republican-sponsored bill that would follow Arizona's lead and make illegal immigration a state crime in Florida.

That legislation and a similar Senate bill also would require employers to use a federal database to verify the immigration status of new hires.

While other opponents, some identifying themselves as undocumented immigrants, knelt in prayer and two young girls burst into tears, business lobbyists argued the legislation would hurt Florida's tourism and agriculture industries while reducing tax revenues.

"Just the mere consideration of this bill is causing the image of the state of Florida to be tarnished not only nationally but internationally," said Florida Chamber of Chamber Vice President Adam Babington. He said that "will have economic consequences."

It would scare off tourists from Latin American and the Caribbean who contribute billions to Florida's economy and millions to state coffers, Babington argued.

"Please do not make Florida employers immigration officials," pleaded Tom Stahl, executive director of Florida United Businesses Association. "We view it as regulation, which is somewhat ironic given the tenor of the Legislature this year."

Following the lead of Republican Gov. Rick Scott, the GOP-controlled Legislature has focused heavily making Florida friendlier to business including reductions in government regulations.

Others argued that Florida produce would rot in the fields without immigrants to pick the crops and that the bill would be unconstitutional because immigration is controlled by federal law.

Supporters said the legislation is needed because the federal government has failed to control the nation's borders and it would put pressure on Washington to fix that problem.

"Despite some of the rhetoric and the obfuscation that's gone on here today, the main fear is that businesses will lose their undocumented workers," said Rep. William Snyder, a Stuart Republican sponsoring the House bill.

"Somebody came up here and said we won't have tomatoes in our salad," Snyder added. "I would rather eat bread than eat something that was gleaned off the sweat of someone who has less rights than me."

The legislation is very personal for some who testified.

"I am undocumented, unapologetic and unafraid," said Jose Manuel Godinez-Samperio,

Now 24 and set to graduate next month from Florida State University's law school, he said his parents brought him illegally to the United States when he was 9 years old.

"This bill would totally shatter may dreams," said Godinez-Samperio. "I've been raised in this country. I speak just like you. I think just like you. I act just like you. Why?"

Kevin Lopez Gutierrez, a 17-year-old high school student from Indiantown, said his parents brought him illegally to the United States when he was 5 years old.

"I don't want to go back to Mexico cause I was raised here in the U.S.," he told the House panel. "I'm proud to say I'm an American, but I can't be; I'm illegal."

"We don't want you guys to separate our families from us," 10-year-old Karla Amaya of Clearwater told lawmakers before she and a young friend broke into tears.

Besides up to 20 days in jail and a $100 fine for a first offense, undocumented immigrants would face enhanced penalties if convicted of other crimes. Like Arizona's law, police could check someone's immigration status only if that person is under investigation for another criminal offense if there is a reasonable suspicion they're in the country illegally.

The Florida legislation does not include Arizona provisions also requiring all immigrants to obtain or carry immigration registration papers and making it a state criminal offense for an illegal immigrant to seek work or hold a job.

A study by the Pew Hispanic Center ranked Florida third among the states with an estimated 825,000 unauthorized immigrants, or 4.5 percent of the state's population, last year.

The House Economic Affairs Committee approved the bill (HB 7089) 11-7 with most Republicans in favor and most Democrats against. It next goes to the House floor. The Senate version (SB 2040) is awaiting a final committee hearing.

The legislation also has drawn opposition from Associated Industries of Florida, the Florida Fruit and Vegetable Association, farmworker advocates and Christian and Jewish clergy.

It's got the support, though, of Scott, who already has issued an executive order requiring state agencies and contractors to use the federal database when hiring.

"If people are in our country and violating the law then we ought to be able to ask if they're legal or not," Scott said.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... izona.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

We don't want you guys to separate our families from us," 10-year-old Karla Amaya of Clearwater told lawmakers before she and a young friend broke into tears.
    Talk to your parents about the decisions they made because that's the reason your family will be separated. Why is there such a lack of ability to take responsibility for ones' actions with this culture? It's always the fault of someone else!

Anyway, I believe this is a perfect opportunity to reflect upon the wise words of Gov. Jan Brewer of Arizona.

"The family that leaves together stays together!"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    . . . "The family that leaves together stays together!"
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    . . . "The family that leaves together stays together!"
    AMEN!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

working4change
    Related Thread Here Immigration Reform: Tricky Political Tightrope in Tallahasse

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-234799.html

A study by the Pew Hispanic Center ranked Florida third among the states with an estimated 825,000 unauthorized immigrants, or 4.5 percent of the state's population, last year.
    It seems our Government would Legislate State laws that would get control over illegal immigration, since they do not want States to enforce existing immigration laws. The Country is going broke and illegal aliens is one of the main reason the U.S. is unstable.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Businesses are so short sighted these days. Sure you save money from hiring illegals but then who buys your products? Illegals send most of their money away and legal citizens can't afford it anymore.

By hiring and employing illegals and cutting down on wages, businesses are killing their own bottom line.

GO FLORIDA! GO REPUBLICANS! GO STATES! GO AMERICA!

Lets get is passed Florida. This is terrific news!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn