Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

CA-Pro-Immigration Protesters Rally Against Greyhound Bus Li

Pro-Immigration Protesters Rally Against Greyhound Bus Lines
    Posted: Feb 5, 2010 10:34 AM CST

Protesters gather outside the Greyhound Bus station in Indio

By Eddie Quezada
    equezada@kesq.com

INDIO - A pro-immigration group is protesting the largest bus company in America.

Border Angels claims Greyhound is cooperating with immigration customs enforcement and the U.S. Border Patrol to interrogate passengers getting off the bus.

"We thought it was important to come to Indio because what's happening here is happening in other cities across the country," said Enrique Morones of Border Angels. "The border patrol and ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) are cooperating with Greyhound. That's unacceptable. People should be able to have the right to travel across the country freely."

Thursday, to get the word out, they held a protest outside the local bus stop in Indio.

"They should be on the border doing their job," said Morones. "They shouldn't be intimidating the grandmother that wants to visit her grandchild for the first time, or the father that's going across the country because his son is graduating from college."

Greyhound has released a statement saying they are not notified when federal agents visit their terminals.

"If I'm going to buy a house then it's expected that I'd be able to prove who I am, my financial records et cetera, but to travel?" asked protester Michelle Krug. "That's just a right, and the fact that it's being couched, the racism is being couched under the whole Homeland Security thing is wrong."

The U.S. Border Patrol says transportation hub checks are part of their typical operations, and they do not racially profile passengers.

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11939722
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"We thought it was important to come to Indio because what's happening here is happening in other cities across the country," said Enrique Morones of Border Angels. "The border patrol and ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) are cooperating with Greyhound. That's unacceptable. People should be able to have the right to travel across the country freely."
    Sorry dude, that's more than acceptable! It should be done at every terminal. That it's not is unacceptable to me. If they are here illegally they have NO rights, when are you idiots gonna get that thru your head?

Oh brother. So it's ok if they do their job on the border but once people are further inside our country they should be left alone and able to 'travel across the country freely.' This won't affect Greyhound at all imo.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Greyhound should be commended for cooperating with law enforcement.

Corporate office
    214-849-8000

Greyhound Lines, Inc.
    P.O. Box 660362
    Dallas, TX 75266-0362
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GO GREYHOUND! Absolutely, they should be cooperating with authorities to get these people off their bus and out of our country. I so admire Greyhound for doing this! And these stupid protestors just highlight even further why we need to deport illegal aliens under due process and our rule of law on the earliest date possible and then keep them out of here.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

to whom it may concern,
    I wish to address the protest at the Indio Bus station that was reported on TV on KESQ Channel 3.
    I can address this as a former Greyhound Driver who has driven all over this country behind the wheel of a Greyhound bus and had numerous
    occasions- especially along interstate eight and ten- to encounter numerous border patrol agents at bus stations and checkpoints along the interstate.
    Most of the time I, as the driver, was able to get out of the drivers seat, step out, and stretch. But there were a few times when i stayed inside and watched border patrol do their job. What I saw was the agents ask everyone and check everyones ID. white, black, and brown... they did not care what color someone was.
    There were times I had a chance to speak with the agents on duty and I was told that at the bus station or along side the road that they were allowed by law to check anyone, anytime and anywhere and that if I, the driver refused, then they had a right to NOT allow the bus to procede and could actually detain the bus by detaining the driver. I was even met in Abilene and Pecos, Texas before by border patrol.

"The border patrol and ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) are cooperating with Greyhound."

As a former driver its not so much as cooperating with greyhound as it is a law enforcement agency doing checks anytime and anyplace.
    Its no different that a policeman in a town, or a county sheriff going on the bus because they have information a criminal wanted elsewhere might be on that bus.

so may I suggest that next time you protest any bus company or any station that you talk to Border Patrol FIRST and ask them what rights they have to do checks at places that are not port of entry or inspection stations along the interstate. Because trust me, as law enforcement, they have a right to do anything,. anytime, anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    to whom it may concern,
    I wish to address the protest at the Indio Bus station that was reported on TV on KESQ Channel 3.
    I can address this as a former Greyhound Driver who has driven all over this country behind the wheel of a Greyhound bus and had numerous
    occasions- especially along interstate eight and ten- to encounter numerous border patrol agents at bus stations and checkpoints along the interstate.
    Most of the time I, as the driver, was able to get out of the drivers seat, step out, and stretch. But there were a few times when i stayed inside and watched border patrol do their job. What I saw was the agents ask everyone and check everyones ID. white, black, and brown... they did not care what color someone was.
    There were times I had a chance to speak with the agents on duty and I was told that at the bus station or along side the road that they were allowed by law to check anyone, anytime and anywhere and that if I, the driver refused, then they had a right to NOT allow the bus to procede and could actually detain the bus by detaining the driver. I was even met in Abilene and Pecos, Texas before by border patrol.

"The border patrol and ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) are cooperating with Greyhound."

As a former driver its not so much as cooperating with greyhound as it is a law enforcement agency doing checks anytime and anyplace.
    Its no different that a policeman in a town, or a county sheriff going on the bus because they have information a criminal wanted elsewhere might be on that bus.

so may I suggest that next time you protest any bus company or any station that you talk to Border Patrol FIRST and ask them what rights they have to do checks at places that are not port of entry or inspection stations along the interstate. Because trust me, as law enforcement, they have a right to do anything,. anytime, anywhere.
    Thank you so much for sharing that information and your personal experience with Greyhound and Border Patrol! Again, I think Greyhound should flip these protestors the "bird", but I'm sure Greyhound is too professional to do that (at least on camera).

I remember my first bus ride when I was a kid was on a Greyhound. My mom was taking my sister and I to see Dad who was on a long-term boiler-making job in ... Scotts Bluff, Nebraska. It was there that I saw my fire pine cone and sugar beet field. It was a long trip and Mom had us all dressed up in new dresses, she'd bought us books to read, mine my Heidi and my sister's was Alice in Wonderland. She also bought us each 1 of those tic tac toe games you play. We were talking about that trip the other day and how nice and pleasant it was. We don't remember at all being bored or tired. We could even remember some of the bus stops, some small at little roadside convenience stores and others actual Greyhound terminals in the larger cities. We had a lay-over in Denver so we visited my uncle and aunt who lived there.

We had a great time seeing Dad and that part of Nebraska. There's actually a large bluff there. We stood on it and looked out over it as far as the eye could see. Thanks to Greyhound and the wonderful service they've provided to Americans for many many years, my family has some great memories of trips and experiences we wouldn't have otherwise been able to make or have.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK GREYHOUND!

who ya flipping the bird to, Judy.
    i hope its that MORON-es character and not BP

'Bama and Nancy Unamerican are responsible for this.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    who ya flipping the bird to, Judy.
    i hope its that MORON-es character and not BP
    The protesters. Sorry that wasn't clear to you. I changed my post from "people" to "protesters" so no one else could confuse themselves over it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast