Greensboro News & Record

May 20, 2005

CAFTA treaty supporters seek votes from state

The votes of the N.C. congressional delegation are key to the international trade agreement's passage.

by Donald W. Patterson

Supporters of the Central American Free Trade Agreement have targeted North Carolina and its congressional delegation as they seek votes for the controversial treaty.

CAFTA opponents have responded with similar ferocity.

As a result, North Carolina has become one of a number of battleground states in the intensifying fight over CAFTA.

Both sides tout North Carolina's importance because the state does significant business with the countries involved, it's home to a large number of textile and apparel businesses, and many in its delegation remain undecided on how to vote.

"I would definitely say North Carolina is a target state," said Christopher Wenk, an official with the National Association of Manufacturers, which supports the deal. "North Carolina is ripe for folks that will support CAFTA."

Supporters say the agreement with Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua will lower trade barriers and open new markets for the state's manufacturers and farmers

Opponents say the deal will cost N.C. workers their jobs, especially those in the textile industry.

North Carolina already does substantial business with the CAFTA countries.

Last year, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce, N.C. exports to CAFTA countries totaled

$1.7 billion, the third-largest total in the nation.

That made CAFTA countries the state's second-largest destination for exports, behind Canada.

"That means that members of Congress from North Carolina have to look hard at the agreement," said John Murphy, a vice president for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. "Supporters are busy making the case for CAFTA approval."

One of their lobbying targets is U.S. Rep. Howard Coble, a Republican from Greensboro, who appears to be moving from a 'no' vote to an undecided.

In the past, Coble has said that if the vote were held today, he would vote against the treaty, which Congress can only vote up or down.

Thursday, he said: "If the vote where held today, I would be leaning to voting against it. I am not over the goal line yet."

To help members of Congress decide on what has become one of the most difficult votes in more than a decade, Coble and U.S. Rep. John Spratt, a Democrat from South Carolina, have organized a panel discussion on CAFTA for Tuesday.

Coble's office said the event will mark the first time supporters and opponents will have a chance to debate CAFTA in Congress.

"It's going to be a tough vote either way," Coble said. "It's a split stick in my district. Regardless of how I vote, I am going to end up annoying somebody."

Congressmen say they're getting lots of attention from supporters and opponents.

U.S. Rep. Brad Miller, a Democrat whose district includes part of Guilford County, describes himself as "leaning toward no."

"It is very clear that the (Bush) administration and supporters of CAFTA are wheeling and dealing, trying to pick up votes," Miller said. "They are not just urging. They are making concessions."

He pointed out that the administration has told the textile industry that it will try to close some of the loopholes in the agreement after it is passed.

U.S. Rep. Mel Watt, another Democrat whose district includes part of the Triad, said he has not reached a decision on CAFTA.

"At some point, I am going to have to vote one way or another," Watt said. "I am directing more attention to it than I have for a long time."

A congressional vote is now expected in late June or early July.

Contact Donald W. Patterson at 373-7027 or donpatterson@news-record.com