Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MW
    All undocumented students must file an affidavit stating that they will file an application to legalize their immigration status or will file such an application as soon as they are eligible.
    How can illegal aliens become legal immigrants while residing in the country illegally? That would be amnesty.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Doesn't Californian representatives do any research or even bother to read the news. If they just read the first line of the article below, they would know we have no extra money for illegal immigrants. This gives hispanic kids, legal and illegal a definite advantage over most legal citizens. You know what is sad is if you look at the list of grants, besides the Federal and State grants their is a whole list of what I consider race grants. LaRaza offers such grants that is funded by us the taxpayers. This makes me livid, this is why I am having to send my grandaughter out of state to college, while my taxes are paying for illegal kids to go to college?

Officials fear enrollment could fall as California college costs rise
    By MICHELLE HATFIELD
    mhatfield@modbee.com

last updated: May 27, 2008 07:56:08 AM

The bleak economy and state budget cuts are sketching a grim picture for college students.

With less state funding for community colleges and universities, students can expect to pay higher fees and sit in classes with more students. Some colleges have had to accept fewer students for 2008-09, leaving higher education less accessible.

Take California State University, Stanislaus, where officials anticipate admitting 200 fewer students this fall and offering 1,700 fewer seats in classes.

CSU and University of California fees for all campuses will increase from 7 percent to 10 percent for 2008-09.

"It's a rough spot everybody's kind of in right now," said Erin Bowe, communications junior and student body vice president at Cal State Stanislaus. "There are students that are talking a lot lately about student loans. There are friends of mine who have taken loans out who never would have thought of taking them out."

The pot for state and federal financial aid money is staying the same, but with a lagging economy, more people are needing more help paying for college.

UC Merced is trying to increase student enrollment and officials don't anticipate cutting students in the near future.

University fees are increasing as well. CSU undergraduate students will see a 10 percent rise in fees -- $276 at CSU Stanislaus -- and UC students expect an increase of 7.4 percent in undergraduate fees, or about $500 at UC Merced.

Fees have increased at California public universities more than 94 percent over the past six years, according to Tuition Relief Now, a statewide group advocating for college tuition freezes. At the same time, the amount of state funding earmarked for higher education has dropped from 17 percent of the general fund in 1977 to 11 percent today, according to the same group.

Tuition at universities may lead to fewer students attending college.

Some UC and CSU campuses will pull back on enrollment and increase fees, so community colleges will see an increase in demand. At $20 a unit and enrollment for anyone, they are a cheaper alternative.

Living expenses and textbooks will continue to be major expenses for college students.

Here's a look at the impact on three Northern San Joaquin Valley schools:

Modesto Junior College

Though MJC has battled declining enrollment lately, officials expect to see an influx of students this fall. According to Gov. Schwarzenegger's May budget revision, community colleges will be funded for 1.67 percent more students than last year, translating to about 300 more students at MJC this fall.

"It's a juggling act. We'd love to accommodate all the (student enrollment) growth, but we have to balance that with what we're funded for," said MJC spokeswoman Linda Hoile.

Whenever the economy dips, MJC officials note a spike in enrollment.

"I predict we will see an increased number of incoming students, and those students are going to be interested in taking general education classes that they would have been taking at UCs and CSUs. It's yet to be seen if we can meet demand," said Susie Agostini, director of matriculation, admissions and records.

MJC students should pay attention to admissions procedures and consider taking advantage of the school's StartSmart program, which combines orientation, advising and registration and gives participants a chance to sign up for classes earlier than other students.

CSU, Stanislaus

Students are noticing larger class sizes and fewer courses offered at Cal State Stanislaus. Officials will have to balance keeping classes small and not turning students away.

"Small class sizes are great, but you don't want to take six years to graduate," Bowe said.

With annual tuition jumping 10 percent from $2,772 in 2007-08 to $3,048 for 2008-09, students are feeling the pressure. Parking passes also are increasing steeply and gas is soaring.

"Lots of students are stressed out. With parking fees going up, it just makes everything that much harder," Bowe said.

Some students are moving out of the dorms to save money, she added.

Officials are prioritizing what classes to offer based on which are most needed for students nearing graduation.

UC Merced

UCs are a little more isolated from budget cuts, but they are still tightening their belts. UC system officials decided not to cut student enrollment this fall, but may the year after. UC Merced expects 700 new students this fall.

"This is the largest high school graduating class in California history. It would be a breach of (the UC system's) commitment to the state to turn hardworking students away," said Mary Miller, UC Merced vice chancellor of administration.

The 3-year-old campus does not expect to cut people or programs, but will slow the rate of growth, Miller said. Not many employees will be added and raises might not happen this year, she said. Officials don't anticipate trimming classes, but class sizes may grow.

Students are feeling the impact of higher tuition, gas and food costs.

"Student fees are going to increase. But gas prices and food prices are definitely hitting our pockets pretty well," said Uday Deep Bali, outgoing student body president and electrical engineering senior. He described a noticeable increase in students carpooling and taking buses.

Many students will work during the summer months instead of taking classes, Bali said, so they have extra money to get them through next year.

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/310171.html

MW
    Democrats control both houses of the California Legislature.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    We are going to have to go after this full force on Monday. I hope we can stop it in the Senate. I have some new techniques Ive been working on I will further develop over the weekend in preparation.

W

That's great W!

But isn't there something to be done beyond that? I mean, to all appearances, CA is not even functioning as one of the United States anymore, but an extension of Mexico.

It seems so obvious and these reconquistas are openly rubbing it in everyone's faces.

What can be done to shut this down? There has to be something..........
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think a lot of people here miss the point of whats going on there. Its neither a democratic or a republican issue there anymore. Most of the government there is so completely corrupt that they don't really care about anything but lining their own pockets now. Just like Mexico. Hopefully Arnie will veto this garbage like he did the drivers licenses.
    California is on the verge of an economic implosion and/or a major earthquake.
    - got popcorn ?

This makes me feel ill

We have got to stop this in it's tracks, there is no dream act for my son. Why should our tax dollars go to people who don't even belong in this country, this makes me physically ill, such an outrage.
    William let's go.

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Democrats control both houses of the California Legislature.
    No wonder the once great state of California is going to hell in a hand basket. I give the Democrats credit for one thing being able to create trash where ever they go.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    All undocumented students must file an affidavit stating that they will file an application to legalize their immigration status or will file such an application as soon as they are eligible.
    How can illegal aliens become legal immigrants while residing in the country illegally? That would be amnesty.
    But it's CALIFORNIA! After the quake, that's 1/3rd less illegals ....
    CA's probably great but it seems to me that they started this illegal problem by not nipping it when it first started. All for cheap lawn care ...
    I resent their government for that, but hell I hate our governor too!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

You all can use my old zip code: 92869. City of Orange.

I am going to call ALL CA Senators on Monday.
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

You can use my mom's zip code too: 95835 Sacramento
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast