Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Castro Slams 'Hypocritical' EU Immigration Policy

Castro Slams 'Hypocritical' EU Immigration Policy
    June 22, 2008 8:33 a.m. EST
    Komfie Manalo - AHN News Writer

Havana, Cuba (AHN) - Former Cuban president Fidel Castro has lambasted the European Union's decision to lift diplomatic sanctions against Cuba but imposed tough human rights conditions, calling the move an "enormous hypocrisy."

The ailing 81-year-old ailing former leader published his comments in an essay on Cuba's official Web site, and told EU it has no right to teach his government on human rights and described the bloc's immigration policy as "brutal."

He posted on the CubaDebate Web site, "At my age and in my state of health, you don't know how long you're going to live. But from now on I wish to register my scorn for the enormous hypocrisy behind this decision."

He said no new sanctions and the lifting of existing ones, would have "absolutely any economic consequence" for Cuba, including the decades-old economic embargo imposed by Washington against the tiny communist state.

However, he admits Cuba must improve on its human rights records and free political prisoners, but he slammed the EU for its tough policies against illegal immigrants from Latin America.

The EU recently passed a resolution lifting sanctions against Cuba which would take into effect on Monday. The move was aimed at encouraging reforms in Cuba following the replacement of Castro by his younger brother Raul in February.
    http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7011349732
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Cuba has blamed the US and those who imposed sanctions against Cuba for all the economic problems in Cuba. The last thing he wants is for those sanctions to be lifted. Then Castro himself is the only one left to blame for Cuba's problems. Castro and Cuba already have great trade relations with China, Russia and Latina America and even Canada. They can have anything they want. Castro has always kept the Cuban people from getting any of it while he and his inner circle get all they want. Then they blame the US for their problems.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas