Change in deportation approach might provide relief for many
newstimes.com/danbury
Posted: 08/20/2011 12:01 AM
By Dirk Perrefort

DANBURY, CT -- Thousands of area illegal immigrants who live in fear of deportation may have seen a glimmer of hope this week when President Barack Obama announced a new approach to deportation.

The Obama administration unveiled a new plan that would review the 300,000 pending cases of deportation and potentially halt proceedings against those who do not pose a danger to the public.

The new program gives federal prosecutors discretion in enforcing deportation proceedings against minors and elderly immigrants, those who have been in the United States since childhood, and victims of domestic violence.

While the details of the new policy aren't yet clear, local immigration attorney Michael Boyle said his phone was ringing all day on Friday with clients' calls.

"I've just finished my first request to be considered under this program that I'll turn in on Monday," said Boyle. "Those who live in the shadows can come out and live a normal life."

He added that he hopes the new policy will put enough political pressure on Congress to address immigration reform.

"Congress has been running from this issue for many years," he said. "Hopefully this will prompt another discussion on immigration reform."

Mayor Mark Boughton, who made national headlines early in his tenure when he suggested state police should be deputized to enforce immigration laws, said he has concerns about the president acting unilaterally, without consulting Congress.

"The president doesn't have broad powers to enforce some laws and not others," he said. "I imagine there will probably be some court challenges."

He added that Obama's move could be an attempt to force Congress to act on immigration reform, although Boughton said he doubts the votes are there to pass any significant measures.

"There may be some wiggle room for some kind of reform that's tied to immigration first and then some path to citizenship," Boughton said. "The president owes a debt to the Latino community that he hasn't been able to deliver on. This may be an attempt to do that."

Ingrid Alvarez-DiMarzo, executive director of the Greater Danbury Hispanic Center, said many members of the community who are "waiting for the shoe to drop" might benefit from the new policy.

"I am always hopeful when there is an opportunity like this to remove some obstacles," she said. "Many of these people grew up here, went to Danbury schools, work here and pay taxes.

"When looking for new citizens for this country, don't you want people who can contribute to the community?"

Contact Dirk Perrefort

at dperrefort@newstimes.com

or at 203-731-3358.

http://m.newstimes.com/danbury/db_14216 ... ue#display