Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chertoff calls reports of Mexican military incursions overbl

http://www.bakersfield.com/state_wire/s ... 4838c.html

Chertoff calls reports of Mexican military incursions overblown

By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press Writer

Posted: Wednesday January 18th, 2006, 4:15 PM
    Last Updated: Wednesday January 18th, 2006, 4:50 PM

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Wednesday that reports of Mexican soldiers frequently crossing onto U.S. soil were overblown, calling many of those incursions innocent mistakes.

"I think to create the image that somehow there is a deliberate effort by the Mexican military to cross the border would be to traffic in scare tactics," Chertoff told reporters in Washington. "We have a good relationship with the Mexicans and I think treating this as an alarmist issue that suggests we're in danger of some significant overreaching is not accurate and not helpful."

Chertoff's remarks followed a newspaper report that the Mexican military had crossed into the United States 216 times since 1996. The Inland Valley Daily Bulletin of Ontario published details Sunday of a Homeland Security Department report.

"I think we average about 20 a year, and a significant number of those are innocent things where ... police or military from Mexico may step across the border because they're not aware of exactly where the line is," Chertoff said.

Chertoff added that some members of the Mexican army or police have abandoned their jobs and crossed into the United States to do "something illegal." Also, some criminals who have stepped across the border are dressed as soldiers but do not belong to the military, he said.

Rafael Laveaga, a spokesman for the Mexican Embassy in Washington, declined to comment on Chertoff's remarks. He stood by earlier remarks that the Mexican military has never deliberately stepped onto U.S. soil. He declined to say if there were any unintentional crossings.

The head of a labor union that represents about 10,500 U.S. Border Patrol agents dismissed Chertoff's remarks as "diplomatic response" to a long-running problem on U.S.-Mexico border.

"It really doesn't surprise me that he's playing the diplomat," said T.J. Bonner, president of the National Border Patrol Council. "This is a guy whose time on the border can be measured in hours, not years."

Bonner said Mexican soldiers - possibly some Army deserters - are providing protection for drug runners.

"It's all about the drugs," he said. "The lure of the riches of the cartel, they're too many for many of their solders to resist, whether they're corrupted on active duty or take up with other bands."

Homeland Security recorded an annual average of 21.6 Mexican military incursions since the 1996 fiscal year, according to the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin. Incidents peaked at 40 in 2002 and dropped to nine in the 2005 fiscal year that ended in September.

The Border Patrol's El Centro sector, which covers southeastern California, recorded the most incursions since 1996 (5, followed by Tucson, Ariz., (39), El Paso, Texas (33) and McAllen, Texas, (2, according to the newspaper. Del Rio, Texas, recorded only three incidents, the fewest of the agency's nine sectors along the southwest border.

Peter Nunez, the U.S. attorney in San Diego from 1982 to 1988, said it was difficult to know if the reports are overblown without additional information.

"Who's reporting these things?" he said. "What are the details? Who's telling us that this happening? What are the circumstances?"
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

"SAN DIEGO (AP) - Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Wednesday that reports of Mexican soldiers frequently crossing onto U.S. soil were overblown, calling many of those incursions innocent mistakes."

What they don't have enough common sense to use a GPS.

There shoud be a correction to his title: Homeland InSecurity Secretary Michael Chertoff
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Come on, Charles. Cut the guy some slack.

He's just doing the job he was hired to do, exactly as he has been told to do it.

By the way, has anyone heard anything from the new ICE superchief Julie Myers? I wonder if she's finished re-decorating her office yet.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd
    Come on, Charles. Cut the guy some slack.

He's just doing the job he was hired to do, exactly as he has been told to do it.

By the way, has anyone heard anything from the new ICE superchief Julie Myers? I wonder if she's finished re-decorating her office yet.

you're right he is doing just what George is paying him to do: nothing except blowing smoke.

Pleassseee don't bring up the other one that makes me sick feeling every time I think of that directing a law enforcement agency. This political back scratching is turning in to a real rash.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hey! There's a foreign military helping drug runners, illegals, and terrorists cross the border. Nothing to worry about here.

Chertoff needs to find a new job.

W

Maybe Bush could replace him with "BROWNIE"!! This man is just OFF THE DEEP END. I need to go to Lou's site and find the segment he had last night about this IDIOCY. Back in a sec!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

This is from Lou Dobbs' show--January 18th:

DOBBS: Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff today acknowledged that the Mexican military is crossing our southern border and does enter U.S. territory about 20 times a year. But Chertoff tried to play down the significance of those incursions. The Homeland Security secretary said most of those incursions are what he called innocent, and he declared reporting on the issue has been overblown and not helpful.

Mr. Chertoff, may I say with all do respect, I disagree with you. And I think any time any military crosses our border is something perhaps you might want to pay something of a little attention to. After all, the job is homeland security. And the idea of telling the U.S. Border Patrol to maintain a low profile when those things occur, those minor incursions that you appear to want to downplay, says a lot about the way you're running your department and national security.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

As usual, Lou right. Every time Chertoff opens his mouth, he looks more stupid if that's possible.

Isn't THAT the truth?? THAT MAN IS FRIGHTENING LOOKING. He just gives me the heebie-jeebies!

There is Just something about the Name Michael and Homeland Security that don't mix. Just like water and Oil. Just don't mix.

Michael Chertoff
    Michael Brown.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast