Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Children of illegal immigrants often find the college applic

http://www.boston.com

A struggle for higher learning
    Children of illegal immigrants often find the college application process daunting

By Cristina Silva, Globe Staff | July 6, 2006

As their classmates graduated last month, with sights set on college, numerous undocumented immigrants in several Boston-area high schools finished with no plan for their future.

Five years ago, most of them would have found an affordable college, with assistance from counselors. But going to college has stopped being an easy option, as immigration laws tighten and as colleges give new scrutiny to immigration status.

Many came here with their parents on tourist visas and stayed on after the visas expired, knowing they would no longer be in the country legally. How much Massachusetts should help them pay for college divides supporters and opponents of stricter immigration laws. Massachusetts, like all but nine states, requires illegal residents to pay out-of-state tuition for public universities, a barrier for many students.

``They are crying poor us, but they really have a good alternative: to go home and get an education there," said Lorrie Hall, founder of Massachusetts Citizens for Immigration Reform, which supports tighter immigration control. ``Illegal parents have a responsibility. They knew very well when they came here that they would not be eligible for these things."

Counselors in several area schools -- including ones in Boston, Framingham and Lawrence -- estimate that only half of the illegal immigrants they counseled will attend a college this fall, when in the past, nearly all would have. Many counselors say they believe their students should be able to pay the same in-state tuition at public universities that legal residents do.

At Brighton High School, many of this year's graduates acknowledge that they were aware of what they could face.

``I know that I came here illegally and that this is not my country, so how can I ask for anything?" said a 17-year-old girl, who asked not to be identified because she fears deportation. ``But I just want to know what is going to happen with my life."

The girl, who graduated from Brighton High School in June, was one of roughly 30, including six ranked in the top 20, of the high school's 300 seniors who identified herself as an illegal immigrant to school staff. Only one of the students will be attending a four-year college this fall, counselors said. Less than half have plans to attend community college.

Getting the money for tuition is a part of the problem, but students' fears of being reported to authorities is often as big a barrier. Boston-area college admissions officials say that they have no policy against admitting illegal immigrants and that they do not report undocumented students.

But high school counselors say that if a college asks for a student's immigration status on any form, many students will not apply. Since Sept. 11, asking for that status has become common on college application forms, counselors say.

The 17-year-old Brighton student said she came to Boston with her mother from the Dominican Republic five years ago on a tourist visa, even though they intended to make a permanent move. The two, who lived in poverty in their country, came to Boston looking for better economic and educational opportunities and a safer place to live.

The year they left, a neighbor attacked them with a machete and demanded money, according to the girl. The girl was unharmed, but her mother was stabbed several times, she said. In Boston, the girl's mother does not have steady work, and the pair survives by living with relatives.

The girl's mother said she does not regret coming to the United States. ``It hurts me a lot that she cannot follow her dreams," said the mother, who also did not want to be identified. ``She will find a way to go to college one day."

The student, who aspires to become a nurse, had a B average and hoped to attend Northeastern University, until she realized she could not qualify for financial aid to help cover the $20,000 tuition and fees. She thought of the Army, but was told that illegal immigrants could not enlist. She then intended to enroll part-time at Bunker Hill Community College, but decided not to because the application asked for a Social Security number, which she does not have.

At Brighton, counselors tell students to leave their immigration status blank on applications so college admissions officials will focus solely on their academic records. They also post tips for college-bound undocumented immigrants and names of colleges known to be friendly to illegal immigrants in the counseling center. Schools listed as having large numbers of illegal immigrants included Fitchburg State College and schools in the University of Massachusetts system.

Some schools, including Boston University, said they require illegal immigrants to apply as foreign students, who are asked to provide documentation showing they can afford to pay for college. That discourages students from low-income families, counselors said.

In the months before Brighton High's graduation, Genevieve White, a counselor, said that every week a different student who did not have legal residency status would come to her office in tears.

``For many of them, it's not their fault that they are here," White said. ``You wish they could apply to college like their classmates, but they can't."

One 19-year-old Brighton senior said he was so daunted by the thought of applying to colleges as an illegal immigrant that he chose not to apply anywhere. The student, who did not want his name used out of fear that authorities would find him, flew from Portugal to the United States on a tourist visa to live with his grandmother and aunt in Boston after his mother died three years ago. The student, who hopes to become a doctor, is considering marrying an American citizen so that he can become a resident. ``I have no family in Portugal. I can't just go there and leave everyone behind," the student said recently.

In January, state lawmakers overwhelmingly voted against a measure that would allow children of illegal residents to receive in-state tuition.

``People can't get behind the idea of using tax dollars to subsidize someone who by definition is illegal," said Senator Robert L. Hedlund, a Weymouth Republican who voted against the bill.

Genoveffa Grieci, chairwoman of the English as a second language program at Framingham High School, said such students deserve to go to college.

``We are saying to them, `You have done all these things, but now there is no where for you to go,' " Grieci said. ``Where is the justice and fairness in that?"

Cristina Silva can be reached at csilva@globe.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Cannot feel sorry for these kids they knew they were in this country illegally and did not apply for citizenship through proper channels so they are not entitled to anything. Want a future go back to your own country and get tuition money there where you are entitled.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Absolutly cannot get behind it when they are turning down citizens who qualify by financial standings but are refused because they are white. If portions are held back for all the other minorities and then you add illegals in the mix.....where are poor white students supposed to go for a better education? Being white doesn't make you rich. And they desire a better life as well. They've done all the right things too. They have as good as grades if not better at times and there aren't special scholarships for just white folks. No citizen here should be denied the aid in order to make sure illegals get a shot. We have adults that need re-training so they can get a job as well.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

``We are saying to them, `You have done all these things, but now there is no where for you to go,' " Grieci said. ``Where is the justice and fairness in that?"
    What have they done? They have gotten a free education with the money of every hard working legal resident and citizen of this country.

Where is the justice and fairness for every American who loses a job because of an illegal, cannot send their own children to college because they are being taxed to the breaking point to support illegals, etc.?

We need to take care of our own. We cannot continue to take care of every person in the world with a sob story.

I also have to agree. Its hard for me to feel sorry for these kids who's parents knowingly broke laws in coming here illegaly, and staying here illegaly. Why do they think they are entitled to anything? Where does this attidute come from? Simply coming onto US soil doesn't entitle a person to anything, nor does it mean you deserve something. Whether we're white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. DOES not mean one or the other is above any of the laws of the land. Illegal is illegal is illegal. I'm getting tired of hearing these sob stories. Yes they are sad, but if any American citizen were to break laws which illegals do, our government wouldn't be so forgiving with us.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

dot

college for illegals.

I am sick of hearing "POOR ME" sob stories.
    My son went to college and could not qualify for nothing. We helped him all we could. He worked and went to college. Took him six years to get his degree.He has a great job that can not be out sourced....
    So here's a clue...go back to your own country if you want to go to college...but not on my dime.

but now there is no where for you to go,' " Grieci said
    I know where they can go.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee