Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Clinton campaigns for Obama among Latino farmworkers

Monday, August 25, 2008
    Clinton campaigns for Obama among Latino farmworkers
    By JEFF ST. JOHN , McClatchy Newspapers

last updated: August 24, 2008 07:19:59 PM
    On the eve of the Democratic National Convention, Sen. Hillary Clinton came to Fresno on Sunday to thank the United Farm Workers for supporting her campaign for president and ask that they now turn that support toward electing presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.
    Speaking to a crowd of about 600 people at the union's constitutional convention in downtown Fresno, the New York Democrat also pledged to continue pressing for immigration reform in Congress, including a provision that would give more than a million undocumented workers in the country a path toward citizenship.

"I stood up for you because I know America can do better," Clinton told members of the union that endorsed her in February's California Democratic presidential primary. She said the union's work has helped make visible the plight of some of the country's lowest-paid workers.

The last time Clinton made a campaign stop in Fresno, last October, she was stumping for her own candidacy for president.

On Sunday, speaking before a crowd that cheered for her as they held up "Obama '08" placards, Clinton praised the man to whom she conceded her party's nomination in June as a politician who would also fight for the union's causes.

"I've seen his passion and determination, his grit and grace, and I know that he has lived the American dream," she said. Clinton added that an Obama presidency would lead to stronger union rights, immigration reform, an increased minimum wage and "a health-care system that takes care of everyone."

The speech, coming the day before the start of the Democratic National Convention, was free of any animosity on Clinton's part for losing her presidential bid to Obama, D-Ill.

That extended to Clinton's praise of Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., who was chosen by Obama last week as his vice-presidential running mate. She called Biden an experienced politician who has "been on the front lines for social and economic justice."

Many audience members wore Obama stickers or carried his campaign signs. Still, they praised Clinton for her support of farmworker causes and for recognizing the difficulties they face in their jobs.

"She said things we think are true about the work in the fields," said Felipe Gonzales, 45, a union delegate from the Monterey County community of Greenfield, Calif..

But Clinton supporter Carlton Lockett, 72, said he wished Clinton could have joined Obama as his vice-presidential pick.

"I've been a Hillary supporter for a long time," said Lockett, a bar owner who sat in on Sunday's speech. "But I think we have a good man in Barack Obama."

Clinton also pledged to keep pressing for a so-called "AgJOBS" bill aimed at giving more than a million undocumented workers a way to achieve legal status and possibly citizenship.

Eight years ago, the UFW joined with farmers groups to propose such a guest-worker program. But in the past two years, two different versions of the bill have failed in Congress.

A small group of protesters held banners outside the Fresno Convention Center on Sunday to protest the UFW's support of a guest-worker program.

"We disagree with any organization that tries to promote guest workers when we have enough people here we need to help," said protester Luis Magana.

Erik Nicholson, UFW international director, said the union's support for a guest-worker program was "consistent with our mission" of helping farmworkers.

"We have a global labor system," he said. "We've recognized it's inadequate for us to wait for these workers to show up in the United States."

Just what we want , more poverty from mehico ...

http://www.modbee.com/24hour/politics/story/405285.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Umm, close to 100% of Latino farmworkers are not US Citizens, why is he out campaigning among them?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We disagree with any organization that tries to promote guest workers when we have enough people here we need to help," said protester Luis Magana.
    Luis Magana should run for some local office, as it seems he is one of the few that understands the problem.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hey.....just say you want slave wage temp workers? Manpower has done quite well on the same premise,.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Luis Magana should run for some local office, as it seems he is one of the few that understands the problem.
    I think he was referring to the illegal aliens already here and working, he likely wants amnesty for them.

UGH! I dont know if I cant take anymore. I cant stand Obama, Biden, Hillary or Michelle Obama. They all have evil faces and make anti-American promises. At the other end of the snake is McCain.

PRAY FOR A MIRACLE! WE ARE GOING TO NEED IT!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn