Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CNN: Arizona goveror signs immigration bill

Arizona governor signs immigration bill
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    April 23, 2010 4:43 p.m. EDT

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* NEW: Executive order requires training on implementing law without racial profiling
    * Measure "threatens to undermine basic notions of fairness," President Obama says
    * Administration closely monitoring situation, president says
    * Bill would require immigrants to carry papers at all times

Washington (CNN) -- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed a state bill Friday that requires police to determine whether a person is in the United States legally, which critics say will foster racial profiling and discrimination but supporters say will crack down on illegal immigration.

The Republican governor also issued an executive order that would require additional training for local officers on how to implement the law without engaging in racial profiling.

Earlier in the day, President Obama criticized the bill, calling it "misguided."

"Our failure to act responsible at the federal level will only open the door to irresponsibility by others. That includes, for example, the recent efforts in Arizona, which threaten to undermine basic notions of fairness that we cherish as Americans, as well as the trust between police and their communities that is so crucial to keeping us safe," the president said at a naturalization ceremony for 24 members of the military.

"In fact, I've instructed members of my administration to closely monitor the situation and examine the civil rights and other implications of this legislation. But if we continue to fail to act at the federal level, we will continue to see misguided efforts opening up around the country."

What would Arizona's immigration bill do?

Obama added, "As a nation, as a people, we can choose a different future, a future that keeps faith with our history, with our heritage, and with the hope that America has always inspired in the hearts of people all over the world."

The bill requires immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and requires police to question people if there's reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally. It also targets those who hire illegal immigrant day laborers or knowingly transport them.

Previously, officers could check someone's immigration status if the person is suspected in another crime.

Read the full text of Arizona Senate Bill 1070 (PDF)

Critics argue that the new law would foster racial profiling, saying most police officers don't have enough training to look past race while investigating a person's legal status.

iReport: Protesters at the Arizona Capitol

Some Latino members of Congress urged Brewer to veto the bill, arguing that it unconstitutionally authorizes discrimination.

Supporters said the measure is needed to fill a void left by the federal government's failure to enforce immigration laws. Its leading sponsor, state Sen. Russell Pearce, said, "Illegal is not a race; it's a crime."

Pearce, a Republican, said, "We're going to take the handcuffs off of law enforcement. We're going to put them on the bad guy."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/04/23/ ... tml?hpt=T1
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Contact info to tell her thanks

Honorable Jan Brewer
    Governor of Arizona
    1700 West Washington
    Phoenix, Arizona 85007

Telephone (602) 542-4331
    Toll Free 1-(800) 253-0883
    Fax (602) 542-1381

Online e-mail form
    http://www.azgovernor.gov/contact.asp

I just emailed to thank her.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thank you, Governor Brewer !
    You have taken the first step in helping us, to get back on Tract.
    I can only pray the rest of the states follow suit, especially Colorado.

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Listening to Jeffrey Toobin with his biased legal analysis really makes me sick.
    I can't stand that little Harvard sissy New York twerp. Never could.

Thank you ALI-PAC!

This is fantastic and most long-awaited news for someone in government to take the shackles off of our law enforcement so our nation can begin to have a just system of immigration.

I emailed the Governor yesterday. Thank you ALI-PAC for rallying us to render support to what is right, just and good for our nation of immigrants and immigrant descendants.

I think The Obama is mad because he will have to prove his citizenship to enter the State now.

I emailed her a huge thanks! Lets hope this gives other States the courage to follow suit!

In fact, I've instructed members of my administration to closely monitor the situation and examine the civil rights and other implications of this legislation. But if we continue to fail to act at the federal level, we will continue to see misguided efforts opening up around the country."
    Obama...you have failed to protect our country from a foreign INVASION. I am sure you will have all of your flunky czars trying to undermine everything the American people want, just because you cant stand anyone who doesnt back down because of your threats. Gov Brewer heard what you had to say about SB 1070 and she did what was right for the American people.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Nomas ---
    What address did you use to email Gov. Brewer? I'm in CA and can't seem to get through on her website email because it's limited to AZ constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockedinCalifornia
    Nomas ---
    What address did you use to email Gov. Brewer? I'm in CA and can't seem to get through on her website email because it's limited to AZ constituents.
    put in your town and leave the state showing as arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast