Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CO Senator:Spanish Seat-Belt Ads a Waste of Money

Senator: Spanish seat-belt ads a waste of money

By Tim Hoover
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 01/26/2009 03:36:00 PM MST
    Updated: 01/26/2009 05:08:03 PM MST

Full Script
    Read the full script of the Spanish public service seat-belt announcement.

Sen. Dave Schultheis says the Colorado Department of Transportation is wasting mucho dinero by running ads in Spanish that urge drivers to buckle up.

"All these ads are going to do is provide one more assimilation off-ramp for new arrivals," Schultheis, R-Colorado Springs, said today. "Bilingualism in our buckle-up ads — just like bilingualism in our schools — will only encourage the further balkanization of our culture, reduce the pressure on new immigrants to learn English and make it harder in the long run for immigrants to become Americans."

The department is holding a press conference to announce the TV ad campaign, its first ever Spanish ad campaign, on Tuesday. According to agency spokeswoman Stacey Stegman, 23 percent of all fatal-accident victims last year were Latino.

And of a total 80 Latinos who died in accidents last year, 59 were unbuckled.

"It's clear that expanded efforts are needed to increase safety-belt use within the state's Hispanic community," Stegman said.

The department said the ad campaign is aimed primarily at Latino men and urges them to protect themselves and their families.

Stegman said the ad cost about $15,000 to produce, and the agency hopes Spanish TV stations will run it for free.

She said CDOT got $5.3 million in federal safety funds this year to address drunken driving, seatbelt usage, aggressive driving, motorcycle safety, teen driving and child safety seats. The department spent $622,000 on seatbelt education efforts and paid advertising last year, she said.

Schultheis wondered where the accommodation of foreign languages ends.

"Can we expect a new round of PSAs from CDOT later on this year in Vietnamese, Mandarin Chinese or some other foreign language?" he asked.

Stegman replied, "If in Colorado there were the same large numbers of those populations that were unbuckled, we would do what we could to address those as well.

"Our programs are about saving lives, regardless of the race."

Tim Hoover: 303-954-1626 or thoover@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11557443
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wrong, wrong, wrong, Stegman. Hispanic is not a race but refers to a group of people that share the same language: there are black, white and even oriental hispanics. It just shows how far the slant of the hispanic rhetoric has inundated our society. And if I am not mistaken, there was even a Chinese-heritage politician became president of some South American country. Chile, Uruguay, I just don't remember which as googling is only producing current Chinese inroads into South America these days.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sure they were killed in an accident. But how many of the persons were in the same vehicle and were they vans? I can not believe these people are that ignorant not to know what a seat belt is for.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Besides wearing a seatbelt is just another.... LAW!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Besides wearing a seatbelt is just another.... LAW!
    LOL. Not to mention probably not part of their culture. How you buckle up 6 kids, an infant, and 2 adults....not enough seat belts in a regular car. They were screaming when they were trying seat belt laws when I was in Florida....unfairly targeting them. Many times the cab of a truck was packed and then the back was packed. I had to laugh this one time.......they had a baby in a car seat in the back of the truck sitting on a cooler or something with the rest of the kids hanging onto it so it wouldn't fall off. Got part of it right. It was scarey to watch, but a policeman was right there and did nothing........

I do have 1 thing to add.....if they are driving legally, then there's no need to advertise that, since it's in your rules of the road books. It's an awful lot of money out to cater to just one group, when the others manage to find out and know what the law is.