Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Congress should avoid Basic Pilot expansion

Washington Technology
    http://www.washingtontechnology.com/new ... 127-1.html

08/14/06

Heritage: Congress should avoid Basic Pilot expansion

By Alice Lipowicz
    Staff Writer

Major expansion of the Basic Pilot employee verification program being considered by Congress would be costly, ineffective and cause additional serious harm to victims of identity theft, according to a newresearch paper by James Carafano, senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation.

Several House and Senate immigration reform bills contain provisions to increase dramatically the scope and use of the Basic Pilot Employment Eligibility Verification System, a database search program operated since 1997 by the Citizenship and Immigration Services. The voluntary program lets employers search a database of Social Security numbers to help them from hiring illegal aliens.

Only about 2,300 employers use the program annually, but Basic Pilot is hampered by many weaknesses, including the inability to detect identity fraud, delays and employer noncompliance, according to the Government Accountability Office.

Under the bills Congress is considering, Basic Pilot would expand so that it would be used by millions of employers. That would require much greater capacity and integration; the proposed expansion is a subject of interest to the IT government contracting community.

Carafano, in his Aug. 7 research paper, warns that increasing use of Basic Pilot is unnecessary, ineffective and impractical.

“Undocumented workers are not distributed uniformly throughout the economy,” Carafano wrote. “They are concentrated in a few sectors, including construction, agriculture and some service industries. Saddling the entire economy with the costs of electronic verification makes no sense.”

Furthermore, since Basic Pilot is prone to errors because of inaccurate and outdated data and identity fraud, even a small percentage of false records could negatively affect millions of Americans who have a legitimate right to work. For example, if an illegal alien submits a stolen Social Security number and is approved for work, the real bearer of that Social Security number could be barred from work, resulting in lost productivity to the economy and lost wages to that worker, Carafano said.

Carafano proposes revising the U.S. tax code so that the IRS could share information with the Homeland Security Department and the Social Security Administration. The goal is to aim enforcement efforts at the small number of employers who repeatedly hire illegal workers by providing false documentation.

I have a web forum on Basic Pilot but although I own quite a few relevant domains I am more concerned with effective enforcement than making money myself. Of course it would be kind of nice from my perspective to do both.

Richard Bond/
    http://www.DHSBasicPilotReview.com
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This article sounds like more don't do anything that might stop the illegals argument! I say do it. Something is better than nothing and nothing hasn't been doing a very good job. It makes it hard to beat the system, if your fraudulent document is red flagged by a database you can't manipulate. I say use it and improve it or develop a better system in the mean time.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)