Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Crackdown on illegal immigrants in Gaston County

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/ ... 61e82.html

Crackdown on illegal immigrants in Gaston County 12:14 PM

12:14 PM EST on Friday, December 22, 2006

A plan announced by the Gaston County Sheriff today will crack down on illegal immigration.

Gaston County is now part of a Federal program to check suspects booked into the jail to see if they’re in the country illegally.

There were 610 foreign-born suspects booked into the Gaston County jail in 2005.

A few of the suspects are from Qatar, Germany, and some African countries, but the vast majority were from Mexico.

Gaston County Sheriff Alan Cloninger announced today there’s a new plan to use finger prints, photos, and computer databases to see if the suspects are also in the country illegally and need to be deported.

There will be 10 Gaston County sheriff’s deputies trained by Federal immigration officials.

Video On Demand

Crack down on local illegal immigrants

NEW video at this hour

The program was first tried this year in Mecklenburg County.

“This also keeps Gaston county from becoming a haven for people who come from this country illegally,” Cloniger said.

But the fear of many in the Hispanic community, often the target of immigration raids, is that the plan will lead to racial profiling.

“It’s my intention that we don’t look at the color of skin, what your accent is, because I can not tell from that whether you are illegal or not,” Cloninger said.

Joventino, one of the many immigrants in Gaston County, was not concerned as he worked a delivery route at a Hispanic grocery store.

“If I behave well, and pay my taxes, I don’t think I’ll have to worry about immigration.”

Gaston County first applied for the program in February. Training for the 10 deputies will start either in January or February, and will last four weeks.

why is profiling bad? instead of calling it 'racial profiling' let's now call it 'common sense'.

Illegal aliens are not immigrants.

“If I behave well, and pay my taxes, I don’t think I’ll have to worry about immigration.”
    You better worry, your a criminal and ICE is looking for you.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    If I behave well, and pay my taxes, I don’t think I’ll have to worry about immigration.”
    That statement is a sign how complacent they have become as they hide in plain site...it will be a very unpleasant occurance for them when they hear the snap of the handcuffs.......will there be such confidence than in their safety????....I wonder.....