Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Critics slam Harry Reid's immigration remark

Critics slam Harry Reid's immigration remark

By SCOTT WONG
    7/14/10 8:23 AM EDT

When a television reporter told Sen. Harry Reid that a 2009 Pew Hispanic Center report found 17 percent of the nation’s construction workers were undocumented, he replied: 'That may be some place, but it’s not here in Nevada.'

Immigration reform critics are seizing on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's comments this week that seemed to downplay the number of illegal immigrants working construction jobs in Nevada, even though a recent study found that his home state had the largest percentage of undocumented workers in the country.

When a reporter from KLAS-TV in Las Vegas told Reid a 2009 Pew Hispanic Center report found 17 percent of the nation’s construction workers were undocumented, http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/107.pdf the Nevada Democrat replied: [b]“That may be some place, but it’s not here in Nevada.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote]“That’s the reason we need to do comprehensive immigration reform,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote="NoBueno"][quote]“That’s the reason we need to do comprehensive immigration reform,â€
    <div>
    </div>

Manley said Reid supports E-Verify and has worked to ensure the program does not expire. But Reid believes the current system is flawed because it sometimes penalizes American workers and can be susceptible to identity fraud.
    A true e-verify story…

Last year my youngest daughter applied for employment at the Army Experience center. The position she applied for was the same one she held one year prior at the AEC, which she left to pursue other opportunities. Because of the time that lapsed since she last held the position, she had to re-apply as though she was a new hire.

The AEC ran her information through e-verify which came back with the notice that there was a discrepancy in her info that must be corrected before they could verify her eligibility for employment. The correction process involved:

1. A letter to the potential employer advising them of the discrepancy, with the instruction to inform the potential employee and respond as to whether the intent was to contest and correct the discrepancy, or to withdraw the application for employment.
    2. Once the potential employee made the decision to pursue the matter, he/she is given a list of documentation to bring to the Social Security Office that would be needed to correct the discrepancy, which included the following:
    Picture I.D., i.e. - driver’s license
    Birth Certificate
    Social Security card
    Proof of legal residence

Within five minutes of arriving at the Social Security office with the required documentation, the discrepancy was resolved, and she was approved for employment. She had no problem “jumping through these hoopsâ€
    <div>
    </div>

Obama --- Pelosi --- Reid
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

melena29: Please thank your daughter for her service and wish her godspeed.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    melena29: Please thank your daughter for her service and wish her godspeed.
    Will do, thank you.
    <div>
    </div>

i heard this on the radio a few minutes ago.
    all i could do was roll my eyes and cuss at the radio.

This man has gone senile

Quote Originally Posted by melena29
    Manley said Reid supports E-Verify and has worked to ensure the program does not expire. But Reid believes the current system is flawed because it sometimes penalizes American workers and can be susceptible to identity fraud.
    A true e-verify story…

Last year my youngest daughter applied for employment at the Army Experience center. The position she applied for was the same one she held one year prior at the AEC, which she left to pursue other opportunities. Because of the time that lapsed since she last held the position, she had to re-apply as though she was a new hire.

The AEC ran her information through e-verify which came back with the notice that there was a discrepancy in her info that must be corrected before they could verify her eligibility for employment. The correction process involved:

1. A letter to the potential employer advising them of the discrepancy, with the instruction to inform the potential employee and respond as to whether the intent was to contest and correct the discrepancy, or to withdraw the application for employment.
    2. Once the potential employee made the decision to pursue the matter, he/she is given a list of documentation to bring to the Social Security Office that would be needed to correct the discrepancy, which included the following:
    Birth Certificate
    Social Security card
    Proof of legal residence

Within five minutes of arriving at the Social Security office with the required documentation, the discrepancy was resolved, and she was approved for employment. She had no problem “jumping through these hoopsâ€
    "Where is our democracy if the federal government can break the laws written and enacted by our congress on behalf of the people?"

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotAZGUY
    Quote Originally Posted by melena29
    A true e-verify story…

Birth Certificate
    Social Security card
    Proof of legal residence

<div>
    </div>