Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CT protest against illegal immigration draws over 60 people

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... le&sid=498

/26/2006
    By MARK SPENCER, Courant Staff Writer
    (illegal immigration, amnesty bill, McCain and Kennedy, Congress)
    Immigration activists won the street protest numbers game Saturday morning in downtown Hartford as they faced off with a group seeking tighter controls. But passions ran high on both sides.

Read the latest headlines about illegal immigration.

Connecticut Citizens for Immigration Control turned out about 15 people to protest Connecticut Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman's co-sponsorship of an immigration reform bill, which they label as an amnesty for those here illegally.

They marched on the sidewalk in front of Constitution Plaza, where Lieberman has an office, bringing a letter opposing the bill and signed by 100 state residents and about 225 people from other states.

No one from Lieberman's office was there to take the petition, but more than 50 immigration activists held a counter-demonstration across Market Street in front of the Old State House.

It was a replay of an encounter between the two groups in May, when a Connecticut Citizens meeting in West Hartford was overwhelmed by counter-demonstrators organized by the Ad Hoc Committee for Immigrants' Rights, a coalition of religious, labor and immigration support groups.

Paul Streitz, a Connecticut Citizens leader, said he "wasn't too happy with the other guys showing up and horning in on our parade" Saturday. His group was smaller, he said, but will distinguish itself as the immigration debate becomes an entrenched part of Connecticut's political landscape.

"They vote, but they don't go out and do rousing demonstrations," Streitz said.

Supporters of the bipartisan bill, written by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., insist it is not an amnesty, yet provides a controlled way for undocumented immigrants to work in the U.S. legally.

Regardless, there was little specific talk about the bill on either side of Market Street Saturday. But the issues that add heat to the immigration debate - jobs, security and the societal changes that accompany immigration - were present.

John McGowan, a Danbury resident dressed as Uncle Sam, led the Connecticut Citizens group down Market Street. As they passed a construction site, he shouted, "You guys legal?" to about a dozen men wielding shovels who appeared to be Hispanic.

He said he asked because of "the look of their nationality."

"People don't want to have racial profiling in our country," he said. "I'll tell you what. Only one race bombed the Twin Towers."

Another marcher, Elise Marciano, echoing a sentiment expressed by many in the group, said she has no problem with immigrants, but illegal immigration was weakening the country.

"They are living off the services we pay for with our taxes," said Marciano, the president of the group's Danbury chapter.

Four Hartford police officers kept the two groups separate and the demonstrations were peaceful, although there were a few brief verbal confrontations.

Werner Oyanadel, a legal analyst for the state Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission, ventured across the street briefly. He said undocumented immigrants provided labor the state needs. Many of them also must deal with laws that can give some members of a family legal status, while others are outside the law.

"You can't say you're against illegals and for immigrants," he said.

Although accurate statistics for the number of undocumented immigrants are hard to find, the Pew Hispanic Center in Washington, D.C., recently estimated there are 55,000 to 85,000 in Connecticut.

Joe Neverisky said the cheap labor market undocumented workers create makes it difficult for him to make a living in construction and landscaping. Those workers - and Americans who hire them - are able to "low ball" him on jobs, he said.

"They're taking food off my table," he said.

Putting food on his family's table is why Francisco Reyes said he came to the United States from Peru four years ago, leaving his wife and three children behind. Although he has no visa, he works three jobs, including cleaning offices at night. Thanks to adult education classes in Hartford, he is learning English.

"We don't take the jobs they want," he said. "What American wants to clean?"

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... le&sid=498
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Werner Oyanadel, a legal analyst for the state Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission, ventured across the street briefly. He said undocumented immigrants provided labor the state needs. Many of them also must deal with laws that can give some members of a family legal status, while others are outside the law.

"You can't say you're against illegals and for immigrants," he said.
    Say what? Being here illegally violates Federal law.
    Werner scores high on the jackass-o-meter.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

The quote misinterpreted what I said. I don't support illegal migration. All I am saying is that there is a demand for workers but insuficient visas to facilitate their legal entry. I also want to clarify that the issue of immigration is very complex but many families in the Latino community -- legal by the way -- face interminable separation because of outdated immigration laws. This in combination with tougher enforcement may decrease the problem of illegal immigration.

All I am saying is that there is a demand for workers but insuficient visas to facilitate their legal entry.
    Does Connecticut have a 0% unempolyement rate. They can't find legal U.S. citizens to fill these jobs?

Let me clarify the following information. Many of us in support of immigrant rights agree that federal immigration policies need to be fixed. However, it must be done in a manner that will not dehumanize, criminalize or scapegoat segments of the population. Everyone involved in this civic dialogue should keep in mind that it is impossible to eradicate illegal migration for many reasons. I’ll try to mention a few reasons…people migrate if sociopolitical or economic crisis take place – not to mention natural or health crisis. One must not look far in history to see those examples, for instance the economic crisis in Argentina or Venezuela clearly illustrate the vulnerability of our global economy in the continent of America. Look at the migration to the United States from Ireland at the beginning of the century – they were coming to the United States without papers escaping the potato famine or consider the migration from Italy in the early 1900’s and we will see the common denominator. (i.e., massive migration fleeing the political and economic instability in Europe at the time.)

There's a famine in Central and South America as well as asia and Eastern Europe?

Strange, Ive not heard of our illegal aliens coming because they are starving.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mexico has a low unemployment rate because their unemployed come here illegally. We can and should be using non-violent prison labors to work our farms if there is such a shortage of workers. The only famine I have heard about lately are those in Niger, but I don’t see an influx of them sneaking into our country.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I was born and raised in Connecticut and left the state due to the murderous taxes in 1986. I was driving an Armored Truck (Money Delivery) and even in the early 80's taxes and rent were so high I had to go fishing (almost daily) and bring home what I caught just to have enough to eat. I had a kind of nutty partner once scream at me to stop the truck as we went through a real woodsy area. The truck wasn't even to a stop when I heard the door slam and he was off and running into the woods with the trucks rifle. After about a minute or so I started to feel real uneasy, that almost turned to panic when I heard the shots. Next thing I know, here he comes with a 15lb Tom Turkey he had spotted as we went. You'd think this guy had just won the lotto he was so happy. He said "Now I've got a bird for Thanksgiving!" (the following month). I can't imagine what its like to get a job in Connecticut now.
    "Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake." -- Louisa May Alcott

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner
    The quote misinterpreted what I said. I don't support illegal migration. All I am saying is that there is a demand for workers but insuficient visas to facilitate their legal entry. I also want to clarify that the issue of immigration is very complex but many families in the Latino community -- legal by the way -- face interminable separation because of outdated immigration laws. This in combination with tougher enforcement may decrease the problem of illegal immigration.
    Sounds like double talk to me. There is a demand for cheap exploitable illegal labor, which is coming from Mexico and other Latin American countries. I think it is a big lie when we keep hearing they are doing jobs American's won't do. I hear countless stories how people cannot get hired for certain jobs, or are forced out because of the over supply of cheap labor stagnating or driving wages down. How many low skilled immigrants do we need?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Werner
    Werner, I'd like to ask you a question. If I were a criminal, do you think I should be able to walk right under law enforcement without fear of getting arrested for my crimes or do you think I should be fair game for law enforcement? I can only assume you would think I should be fair game until I hear differently from you. If I am fair game, just tell me why should not criminals who cross the border illegally be fair game as well. I know I am not the brightest star in the night sky but please break it down for me and the other 275 million legals can understand it.

JUST WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE WORD ILLEGAL?

You know what my take on all this is? I think the majority of elected politicians are just too darn sorry and lazy to do what is right. They need to go home and resign and tell their people they resign because they don't have a backbone in them to do the right thing.
    I wonder how many illegals got their NC driver licenses renewed last week? President Bush needs to protect the borders not illegals. President Bush is a coward and guilty of treason when it comes to securing the borders.