Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DA: Judge's decision 'idiotic,' 'Wackiness' helps molester

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.as ... d6dc713216

Posted 12/14/06
    BAKERSFIELD - Being an undocumented immigrant got a child molester a reduced prison sentence, District Attorney Ed Jagels says.

Jagels issued a news release Thursday morning slamming Judge Richard Oberolzer for his decision in the case of Jose Richard Leiva, 24.

Levia was sentenced Oct. 25 on his conviction on three felony counts of child molestation. That case came while he was on probation for a misdemeanor conviction of having sex with an underage girl.

The Probation Department recommended Leiva be sentenced to 10 years in prison; his own attorney asked the judge to disregard the 10-year recommendation and sentenced Leiva to six years. But Oberholzer disregarded all those recommendations, and chose the lowest possible prison term, three years.

Oberholzer said he wanted to give the man the shortest possible term, so that he could be deported and not be supported, in prison, by taxpayers.

"Here's my take on it," Oberholzer said. "I'm not in a position where I want to support him for the next five or six years, or however long it takes to get him out of here. That's my position."

"I'm tired of having to feel that the taxpayers should support somebody who comes to this country and does what he does, violates our law, doesn't want to comply with our rules and our laws, in a country where he has the best advantages in the world, and we have to take care of him."

"My job is to protect the society of this country, not to protect the society of some other country," the judge said.

Jagels, in a news release Thursday morning, was emphatic in his condemnation of Oberholzer's thinking. "The idea that a defendant's deportation will keep him from victimizing another young girl here is idiotic," Jagels said. "These guys sneak across the border faster than the Border Patrol can deport them.

"In my 30 years as a prosecutor, I thought I had seen every conceivable example of judicial wackiness, but I was wrong.”

"An illegal alien child molester gets a more lenient sentence than an American would for the same crime!" Jagels said in the news release.

He said Oberholzer's decision cannot be appealed.

Oberholzer declined to comment.

MW
    Absolutely astounding! Once again we see another case of an illegal immigrant being treated better than an American citizen. This is just crazy!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I see where the judge is coming from but that man will do it again. No matter what country he is in.

I think we should imprisson him here, send his homeland the bill and his tool has to be lopped off because it got suck in the cell door at lock down, weeks before his deportation. Oooops.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Dixie wrote:

I think we should imprisson him here, send his homeland the bill and his tool has to be lopped off because it got suck in the cell door at lock down, weeks before his deportation. Oooops.
    Accidents have been known to happen behind prison walls. Perhaps we should distribute "nut-cracker" care packages to American citizen inmates, along with photographs of potential targets. You do favor "nut-crackers" don't you, Dixie?

Think we can package up some live squirrels and rope?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn