Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

DAILY CALLER: SUPPORT FROM 4 HOUSE GOP MEMBERS MEANS 'MOMENTUM' FOR AMNESTY

DAILY CALLER: SUPPORT FROM 4 HOUSE GOP MEMBERS MEANS 'MOMENTUM' FOR AMNESTY

by MATTHEW BOYLE
    14 Aug 2013, 11:49

Alexis Levinson of The Daily Caller reported in a piece published late Tuesday that “several Republican congressmen have voiced support for a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants” over the beginning of the month of August. She suggested that four GOP congressmen saying they support amnesty somehow contradicts how “many predicted that immigration reform would fall by the wayside” because it was not passed by the House by the beginning of the August recess.

Levinson cites stories from the past several weeks about how four different GOP congressmen said they support amnesty. Those four members are Reps. Aaron Schock (R-IL), Dave Reichert (R-WA), Daniel Webster (R-FL) and Jeff Denham (R-CA) as a sort of evidence that the ardent grassroots--and widespread rank and file House GOP--opposition to the Senate’s “Gang of Eight” bill was shaking.

The Daily Caller’s Jamie Weinstein took Levinson’s story a step further, sending in his morning email to subscribers that it makes it appear “like there is at least some momentum going the other way.”

Despite the breathless reporting from Weinstein and Levinson, everyone expected those four members of the GOP caucus and a few others to break away from the majority, so this is no surprise--and certainly not a sign of a movement heading in the other direction.

Also, a handful of House GOP defectors do not overturn House Speaker John Boehner’s pledge that no bill will come to the floor of the House or be voted on without previous support from the majority of House Republicans, an informal rule known as the “Hastert Rule.” There is no sign that anywhere close to a majority of House Republicans will support the legislation.

A majority of Senate Republicans opposed the legislation that ultimately passed the Senate 68-32, a margin less than what Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and other supporters of amnesty publicly predicted. While 14 Senate Republicans voted for the bill, 32--including every member of Senate GOP leadership--voted against it.

After a recent House GOP conference meeting, Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) told Breitbart News that House Republicans remained nearly universally opposed to the Senate bill and skeptical of House GOP leadership. “I think there was a general consensus that there is a concern that the leadership is going to turn and try to cut a deal with the Senate,” he said. “Overall, though, I don’t think there’s stomach for the Senate bill and they want to see border security first.”

If Boehner cut a deal with the Senate, Stockman added, “I’ll tell you what, there would be a huge rebellion.”

Ironically, if such a rebellion occurred, the likely beneficiary would be House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, who would most definitely slide into the Speaker’s office. Cantor, of course, is the driving force behind immigration efforts in the House, and is planning to soon introduce his own version of the DREAM Act.

At the recent rally against amnesty in Richmond, VA, that NumbersUSA, Tea Party Patriots and other groups sponsored, Rep. Steve King (R-IA) said that the “House started later than the Senate on this” this year.

“But when I looked around this new Congress, I looked for some allies,” he said. “I remember in the last debate we had in about 2006 or 2007, Tom Tancredo was the chair of the Immigration Reform Caucus. In the IRC, the Immigration Reform Caucus, I accused him of being able to broker 92 votes in that and he said it was closer to 110 [against amnesty], I’ll take his word for that. He’s a great friend and we talk on a regular basis.”

At the beginning of this Congress, with Tancredo not there anymore, King said he started all over again in this Congress in a meeting between him and Rep. Lou Barletta (R-PA) earlier this year. “Then Mo Brooks, then we looked around and then Louie Gohmert,” King said of the growth of the group this year. “A few others joined in. Now we have a group that is counted in dozens and scores. Three and a half months ago when we put our first meeting together, we didn’t have anything to work with. There wasn’t much prospect that we’d be able to block an amnesty act. It was surely coming out of the Senate. Subsequently, it has but now our numbers are strong and we have at least delayed this immigration legislation in the House.”

King said that “most everybody thought that something would happen in at least June,” but it did not. “Then it didn’t happen in July,” he said. “We know it’s not going to happen in August, and they’re not going to try to move anything in September.”

King added there that “getting through October is going to be the tough part.”

“There are more legislative days in October,” he said. “But I would make this point and I think it’s important that people listen too. This debate started November 7 of last year, right after the election. If we vote on something on the floor of the House in October, 12 months of the calendar will have turned over. Republicans will have done the unbelievably un-strategic thing of debating immigration for 12 months, regardless of what might pass or if anything does pass.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...p-for-illegals

working4change