Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Danbury pair accused of selling cigarettes, dispensing alcoh

Danbury pair accused of selling cigarettes, dispensing alcohol
    Article Last Updated: 03/14/2008 01:55:37 PM EDT

DANBURY -- Police arrested two men Thursday for allegedly selling cigarettes and disposing alcohol out of a residence they shared on South Avenue.
    Jose Antonio Leon-Lojano, 40, and Julia Mendieta-Abad, 50, were charged after Danbury detectives served a search warrant on their residence at about 6 p.m.

Leon-Lojano was charged with disposing liquor without a permit, sale of unstamped cigarettes and unlicensed sale of cigarettes.

Mendieta-Abad was charged with disposing liquor without a permit.

Agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement were also involved in the arrest as "prior investigation also revealed the possibility of undocumented aliens," according to a written statement from police.

Police said they seized "quantities" of alcohol, cigarettes and money from the residence.

"The cigarettes seized were from out of the country and were not tax stamped," according to the statement.

The two suspects were not arraigned in Superior Court today.

Federal agents from the U.S. Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) assisted with the investigation.

http://www.newstimes.com/latestnews/ci_8574151
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't have the entire story here, but why is ICE interested in these two? I mean, what about the construction site down the road where 20 or 30 potential IA's are working? Or those on their fugitve list (unless they are fugitives)?

Just seems very strange to me.

Ostrich

They are only trying to make their lives better... What's wrong with a few crimes here and there? The end justifies the means if you are a criminal.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

PS: I'm glad that ICE is interested in them; just seems like there are so many other places where their manpower might be used more effectively. Then again, if they had a bunch of contraband, maybe it was worth it.

Ostrich