Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Deadly homeboys make new home in El Salvador-It's Our Fault

Deadly homeboys make a new home in El Salvador

The country once again becomes a killing field thanks to U.S. deportees.

By Ricardo Pollack, RICARDO POLLACK is a documentary director and producer. His film, "18 with a Bullet," airs tonight on KCET as part of PBS' "Wide Angle" series.

July 11, 2006

WHEN I FIRST met Duke, he was ironing his shirt. "You gotta look clean, man! You can't go 'round with a creased shirt!" Like many homies, Duke was great at ironing. As I was to find out later, he also was handy with an AK-47.

Duke was 30, handsome and charismatic, with a couple of lovely kids. He spoke his English straight out of the streets of Latino L.A.; he loved to rap, and he talked sentimentally about his homeboys, part of the Hollywood Locos section of the 18th Street gang. Except Duke didn't live in L.A. anymore but in downtown San Salvador, El Salvador.

Like hundreds of other gang members in this small Central American nation, Duke was deported from the U.S. after being convicted of a criminal offense — in his case, robbery. Although he had lived most of his life in Los Angeles, he was never a citizen. As soon as he got into trouble with the law, he was deported to the country where he was born but that he hardly knew. Together with other deported gang members from cities such as L.A. and Houston, Duke helped set up 18th Street in El Salvador, a country awash in weapons from a decades-old civil war but without the means to deal with U.S.-trained gang members. In a few years, the deported gangsters helped give El Salvador one of the world's highest homicide rates.

The authorities viewed the gangs purely as a law-and-order problem. They declared a war on gangs and made gang membership illegal. By the time I arrived in El Salvador in 2004 to make a film about gang warfare there, the prisons were full of gang members. But could this approach solve the problem?

I got to know a group of teenage members of the 18th Street gang from a housing project in the heart of the city. Unlike Duke, most of these boys had never been near the U.S., but they had adopted the behavior of their U.S.-trained mentors. Most days not much happened — the boys smoked a lot of grass and watched TV. Then, suddenly, it would all kick off.

They would get word that one of their comrades had been killed by their rival gang and sworn enemy, Mara Salvatrucha, or MS, which also has origins in Los Angeles. Phone calls would be made, weapons obtained and off they would go to avenge their friends. Wakes for fallen comrades were so commonplace that they seemed like little more than social occasions to meet gang members from other parts of the city.

The boys I got to know were often charming, polite and very funny. They were also killers. One of the principal characters in my film is now in prison for murder, and two others are in jail for attempted murder. In spite of their gang bravado, most of them seemed sadly lost. Many of their parents abandoned them when they were young to seek work in the U.S. For these boys, the gang was everything: their family, their only source of companionship and, unfortunately, their moral code.

Watching a 17-year-old gang member phone his mother in the U.S. — who he hasn't seen in 10 years — telling her over and over again how much he misses her and wants to be with her, is heartbreaking. To see him the next day spouting his gang bravado, getting ready to go on a kill, filled me with a total sense of hopelessness for his future. He was a boy masquerading as a man.

How could they kill so easily? I began to see how, if all around you it is seen as normal — as a duty, as a test of loyalty to the only family you have — then it becomes a line that's far easier to cross. Murder seemed to be the ultimate way of promoting gang identity and a sense of belonging. It also seemed to make life more interesting. If you are in a permanent state of war with a sworn enemy, a mundane life is made more dramatic.

The problem is far more complex than the authorities claim. As long as the U.S. continues to deport hardened criminals to countries that can't deal with them, as long as millions of Central Americans are forced to abandon their children to search for work in the U.S., as long as the Salvadoran authorities do nothing to try to understand why boys join gangs in the first place, then El Salvador will remain one of the world's most violent places. For many boys, joining a gang is their only choice.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/com ... t-opinions
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

MW
    as long as millions of Central Americans are forced to abandon their children to search for work in the U.S.
    Who is being forced?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It sound like they would of joined a gang in America or somewhere else.

I have no sympathy for people who put their children in danger by walking them in the desert, abandon them to unreliable people who do care for their well being. If the mother was so concerned, she should of gone home when she heard the cry of her heart sick son! That's the CRYING SHAME!!

I think they come here for greed. Many of these illegals could live in their countries and make a living wage. They don't watch their kids their or here!

This is not a monster of our making. Take responsibility for watching and rearing your kids! How else are they going to learn right from wrong!
    Breaking into our country illegally is not instilling a good example!

Go home and raise them right!! Stop scapegoating on the USA!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I can't believe anyone could possibly blame us for deporting them. It just gets more outrageous each day.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

The fact that the LA Times would even publish this trash shows clearly which side of the debate they are on. Trying to garner sympathy for deported thugs and gangbangers etc.

Boo Fricken Hoo!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

I saw it last night. Basically the story of a gang banger that was deported and continued to gang bang... what ever, I'm supposed to feel bad that he's not killing people in my country?

Anyway that place is really messed up, and my hood is looking more like it every passing week...

Proof that La Raza is a gang and racist. I am watching this right now and the 16 yr. old punk tells the neighbor to get out because he wants to his laundry in the gang house. He says "blah blah la raza" while in english subtitles it says "this is the gangs house"

"What part of illegal don't you understand?"