Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

This death hits close to home, driver was drunk and illegal

This happened last week right here in my home town and the victim was my good friend's nephew. I spoke with her today and the family is torn apart. The driver of this teen passenger was drunk and illegal. Here's the story:
    http://www.newstopic.net/articles/2005/ ... rwreck.txt
    Source: Lenoir News Topic
    Author: Nathan Key

Driver in fatal wreck arrested

Nathan Key, Managing Editor, nathankey@newstopic.net

The driver of a vehicle involved in a single-car accident that claimed the life of a 16-year-old Caldwell County teenager last weekend has been arrested by the N.C. Highway Patrol and charged with felony death by vehicle.

Trooper Kevin Milligan served a warrant and arrested Jose Isaias Melgar Soriano when he was released from Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center Tuesday, charging him with felony death by vehicle from Saturday's wreck that killed 16-year-old Robert Yates Dewey, a South Caldwell High School student.

And, as it turned out, the name and age given to authorities by the male suspect was fictitious.

After Milligan conducted some investigative work, he discovered the suspect's name to be Jose Daniel Acuna, a 23-year-old Hispanic male, not the 21-year-old Soriano, Highway Patrol Sgt. V.A. Misenheimer said.

“Trooper Milligan started doing some investigating, and (Acuna) admitted who he really was,� Misenheimer said.

Milligan also discovered that Acuna did not have any valid North Carolina identification card and no driver's license after having his driving privileges revoked. Acuna gave a non-government, fictitious identification to Milligan, and there has been no proper documentation presented about him being in the United States legally.

Misenheimer also said there was some question about Acuna's immigration status, and the Immigration Naturalization Service was looking into the matter as well, working alongside the Highway Patrol.

“We have to make sure we cover all our bases on this,� Misenheimer said.

The fatal accident happened when the vehicle Acuna was driving east on U.S. Highway 64 near the Alexander County line ran off the road. Acuna overcorrected on to the highway and went off the left side of the road.

The vehicle overturned and rolled multiple times before coming to a rest against the guardrail on the eastbound lane shoulder.

Milligan said the 1998 Chevrolet Blazer was traveling approximately 80 mph at the time of the crash.

The high rate of speed and alcohol were factors in the accident.

Dewey, who was wearing a seatbelt, was pronounced dead at the scene, and Acuna was airlifted to Baptist Medical Center for treatment of his injuries.

Misenheimer said his office is awaiting results of the toxicology report for Acuna. A blood sample was taken at the scene and sent to the State Bureau of Investigations in Raleigh for testing. He said it could take a month or more to get the results back.

Milligan appeared at the District Attorney's office Monday and filed charges for felony death by vehicle, driving while intoxicated and driving without an operator's license. The charge of felony death by vehicle is a result of the death of another person caused by an automobile.

According to Caldwell Detention Center records, Acuna had been arrested in July on charges of assaulting a female.

Acuna is being held in the Caldwell County Detention Center under a $50,000 bond. His first appearance in Caldwell County District Court is scheduled for today.
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

rebellady, did they by any chance tell you why he was ridding with the illegal alien ?
    This was another of those preventable deaths if our borders were secure.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Chalk up yet another one. This just NEVER ENDS, does it? ALMOST every crime report I read anymore APPEARS to be an Hispanic and MOST of the time, it turns out that they are illegal. And, that one comes right on the heels of the one who killed the young man who was a student at UNC-C. Just SO bad.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Charlesoakisland, no they did not say why he was with this guy. I was told by a family member that the Hispanic guy took the vehicle without permission . This is a sad situation.
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)