Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

[quote]β€œ ... It stays full most of the time,β€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote="SicNTiredInSoCal"][quote]β€œ ... It stays full most of the time,β€
    Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.

Well I emailed the letter W , and it has took about a week or longer but I finally got a response and here it is ......

Ms. Lockridge, I failed to properly explain the situation in my last email so I will try it again. The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office does not have authority to arrest anyone for being here illegally. The federal government has sole jurisdiction to enforce immigration laws. If an illegal immigrant, regardless of country of origin walked up to a deputy and said I'm here illegally, the deputy has no authority to act and can only let the person go. HOWEVER, if that same person violated a state law or county ordinance then that person could be arrested for that and once in our custody we can then request a check on their status through ICE. Now if the person is then discovered to be here illegally we still can't do anything until ICE makes a formal request in writing for us to place a detainer (a hold) on the person for them....and we only have 48 hours to do this,excluding weekends and holidays. HOWEVER, if nothing shows up in the ICE database that clearly states that the person is here illegally, then we still can't hold them on the basis of their immigrant status. 287(g) is an attempt by ICE to extend jurisdiction to local law enforcement in an effort to help them enforce immigration law. However, the federal government is hesitant to extend full authority and the authority under 287(g) is basically an attempt to address the Hispanic problem only. When these people break the law we take everyone into custody and bring them to the jail and run inquiries on their status. Again however, if the results come back that they are not in the ICE system, then ICE cannot put a detainer on them. None of this was being done prior to my assuming office. No inquires were ever made by any of the previous sheriff's...due in part to a lack of computer system to allow such a search. However I do whatever I can within my jurisdiction to enforce the law. Thanks for your comments and offer to help. I ask that you write your congressman and senator and have them to properly secure our border and give local law enforcement full authority to enforce immigration law AND build facilities to house the illegals so that the local jurisdictions will not be overwhelmed and unable to house other violent criminals. ThanksSheriff Daugherty

I should be getting another one soon since I have emailed him last night about the Illegal that has recently been accused of raping a 12 year old girl here in Lincoln County....... http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-126628.html
    I will keep you informed but I think he will just keep saying the same things over and over. anyways wanted to post his reply to the letter William so kindly helped me with. Thanks again William, I have no idea what I would do without you or ALIPAC
    Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123