Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Directors introduce ‘sanctuary in transit’ policy to protect immigrants

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Directors introduce ‘sanctuary in transit’ policy to protect immigrants

BART directors introduce ‘sanctuary in transit’ policy to protect immigrants

Saturday February 11, 2017

BART police may soon obey a unique “sanctuary in transit” policy that’s meant to protect undocumented immigrants who use the transit system.

Modeled after the controversial Sanctuary City policies followed by cities like San Francisco and New York City, which are now targeted with the potential loss of federal funding by President
    Donald Trump for such policies, BART’s sanctuary transit policy would direct BART police to limit collaboration with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and other federal agencies.

Sanctuary policies are meant to foster a working relationship between local law enforcement and immigrant communities, so they can report crime without fear of deportation.

The sanctuary in transit policy was introduced by BART directors Lateefah Simon and Nick Josefowitz at Thursday’s regular Board of Directors meeting. Simon represents Alameda, Contra Costa and San Francisco counties, and Josefowitz represents San Francisco.

At the meeting many public commenters spoke in favor of the measure.

“I have planned my life around the BART system, I am a proud Muslim American,“ said transit rider Sabiha Basrai during public comment.

“I’m so glad to see BART courageous,” she said. “I’m heartened to know the people who run this transit system want it to be a place where I’m not afraid.”

The motion at the BART board meeting Thursday directed the board’s Operations & Safety Committee to take up a Sanctuary in Transit policy at its next meeting, which, if moved forward, would be voted on by the full board at a later date.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/bart-directors-introduce-sanctuary-transit-policy-protect-immigrants/#disqus_comments

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty
    by joining our E-mail Alerts athttp://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Where is the "sanctuary in transit" on our roads and freeways where US citizens are killed by hit and run and DUI illegal aliens?

Where is our sanctuary when we are left to pick up the pieces, pay for the damage and bury our loved ones? While the illegal alien runs off into the sunset!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

Mayor of Sanctuary Cities should be arrested for protecting criminals and illegals.Like slavery on Americans, it's about time...I bet.

BART personnel want to take on ICE? Really? Oh you stupid idiots.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn