Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Dobbs the demagogue

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_o ... 7926c.html

Dobbs the demagogue

CNN anchor scapegoats immigrants relentlessly

By ANDREA BATISTA SCHLESINGER

"Hi, Andrea. It's Lou Dobbs ... I'd like you to come on the show."
    And that's how my love/hate relationship with Lou Dobbs began.

Dobbs, of course, anchors a nightly show on CNN. But to me, his microphone - and how he uses it - makes Lou one of the most powerful men in America.

Every night, Dobbs talks to 800,000 Americans about issues I care deeply about, like how our current economic policy is failing most of us. That's why I love him.

Unfortunately, though, Lou has lately turned over much of his show to a segment called "Broken Borders." He angrily lectures guests about how our immigration policy is destroying America, giving them hardly a word in edgewise - even when they agree!

I ought to know. Heard of the bully pulpit? Well, Lou sits at the bully anchor desk. Despite the personal invitation, I was the fall gal for his nightly tirade.

His viewers followed his lead. By the time I had taken off my makeup, I had 30 angry e-mails accusing me of being an apologist for criminality. All I did was ask Lou to consider how middle-class Americans would benefit if immigrants weren't a permanent underclass of workers easily exploited by greedy employers. What I got were comments on everything from my viewpoints to my Spanish surname to my shirt.

The anger that Lou stirs up is understandable. Wages are stagnant for most of us. An analysis of census numbers released this week shows median household incomes have fallen by 5.9% in America from 2000 to last year. In the meantime, the profits of multinational corporations have skyrocketed.

But who is responsible? This is where Lou takes a wrong turn. He whips people into a frenzy misdirected toward those coming here in search of the American Dream, instead of aiming at those who have made the American Dream harder to attain for all.

Forget about "Broken Borders." How about "Broken Social Contract"?

Instead of video of illegal immigrants scaling border fences, let's see the top corrupt CEOs busting unions and reneging on pension deals. Next to the closeups of members of Congress voting on border security, let's see what they look like when they voted for the "free trade" agreements that created much of this crisis. Instead of Lou bullying immigration advocates, grill the Treasury secretary.

We cannot talk about immigration in a vacuum. Immigration policy is about trade, wages, labor and health care policy, not just cracking down on the poor people trying to come here. It's as much about the security of the American Dream as it is the security of our border. No, I'm not suggesting Lou has to be perfectly evenhanded - he is, after all, more commentator than journalist. But given the power he has to inspire the million Americans who watch him to have a real conversation about why we are where we are today, he has a responsibility to inspire more than frustration. He can create an empowered constituency of voters who will demand nothing less than a radical restructuring of Congress' priorities. He can transcend the rants and demagoguery.

And if Lou Dobbs is really that convinced that his viewers need a dumbed-down version of the story with an easy, made-for-TV villain, maybe it's time for him to get some e-mail of his own.

Originally published on September 2, 2006
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

As far as I'm concerned Lou Dobbs is the greatest advocate that middle class Americans have. If not for his steady drumbeat for the past 7 years with regard to the mismanagement of all things relevant to the survival of our country things would be far worse than they already are.

Amen preachingtothechoir.

One persons demagogue is anothers persons Paul Revere!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

JAK
    Big business are traitors to the very people that put them where they are in prosperity.

But first and foremost...

No one has the right to massively invade another country...period!
    It's wrong...and I'm tired of feeling like I have to justify why it is.

When I began watching Lou Dobbs I was happy to hear someone saying exactly what I felt...so he didn't brainwash me...he just speaks, and might I add...just about the only one who does, THE TRUTH! The rest of the media pretends there is nothing going on...and refuse to focus on it.
    They should be trying to help save this country instead of trying to "dumb down" the rest of America. I'm tired of people acting as if we don't have the right to NOT WANT A FOREIGN INVASION OF THIS COUNTRY. WELL WE DO HAVE THE RIGHT...AND WE DO NOT WANT ANY PART OF IT!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have not seen Lou bullying his guest on his shows. He tells it like it is then he gives them a chance to respond and very respectfully if I might add. In fact sometimes I think Lou is to nice to some of his guest! I think Ms.Schlesinger has an ax to grind with Lou and this is how she does it by writing a deragotory piece about him. You go Lou, Lou's the man!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Banned
    Lou had set his sights on corporations shipping our jobs overseas and the impact of this on the middle class long before he began to talk about broken borders and illegal immigration. Therefore, I would say that he is every bit as angry with the illegal employers and the undue influence of corporate America on our politicians, which has been driving the illegal immigration problem. Ms. Schlessinger is just flat out wrong.