Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dobbs Reaches Out to Latinos, With Politics in Mind

ALIPAC NOTE: Weds morning we will be sending an emergency communique to Lou Dobbs demanding an immediate clarification from Lou Dobbs on the authenticity of this report. We do not trust Telemundo and we do not trust the Wall Street Journal which stands solidly behind amnesty and open borders. We hope that Mr. Dobbs has not changed his stance to favor a path to citizenship for illegals, but we will seek clarification and inform everyone of the results as soon as possible.

---
    Dobbs reverses position on illegals?

Dobbs Reaches Out to Latinos, With Politics in Mind

By PETER WALLSTEN
    Wall Street Journal

Former CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, pondering a future in politics, is trying to wipe away his image as an enemy of Latino immigrants by positioning himself as a champion of that fast-growing ethnic bloc.

Mr. Dobbs, who left the network last week, has said in recent days that he is considering a third-party run for a New Jersey Senate seat in 2012, or possibly for president. Polls show voters unhappy with both parties, and strategists believe Mr. Dobbs could tap populist anger over economy issues just as Ross Perot did in the 1990s.

First, though, Mr. Dobbs is working to repair what a spokesman conceded is a glaring flaw: His reputation for antipathy toward Latino immigrants. In a little-noticed interview Friday, Mr. Dobbs told Spanish-language network Telemundo he now supports a plan to legalize millions of undocumented workers, a stance he long lambasted as an unfair "amnesty."

"Whatever you have thought of me in the past, I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends and I mean for us to work together," he said in a live interview with Telemundo's Maria Celeste. "I hope that will begin with Maria and me and Telemundo and other media organizations and others in this national debate that we should turn into a solution rather than a continuing debate and factional contest."

Mr. Dobbs twice mentioned a possible legalization plan for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., saying at one point that "we need the ability to legalize illegal immigrants under certain conditions."

Mr. Dobbs couldn't be reached Tuesday. Spokesman Bob Dilenschneider said Mr. Dobbs draws a distinction between illegal immigrants who have committed crimes since arriving in the U.S. and those who are "living upright, positive and constructive lives" who should be "integrated" into society. He said Mr. Dobbs recognizes the political importance of Latinos and is "smoothing the water and clearing the air."
    More

* WashWire: Dobbs's Outreach to Latinos: What's Going On?

After a career as a broadcaster and Internet entrepreneur, Mr. Dobbs turned himself into a populist firebrand, campaigning against labor outsourcing, free trade and immigration.

Mr. Dobbs left CNN saying he wanted to become an advocate. Immigration advocates, including Ms. Celeste, had long called for his ouster; critics in particular cite a 2007 report on his show that cited erroneous data suggesting illegal immigrants were tied to a spike in leprosy cases in the U.S. Mr. Dobbs told Ms. Celeste the report was a mistake, and blamed a reporter ad-libbing on the air.

Frank Sharry, who heads America's Voice, a group that advocates for legalizing undocumented immigrants, said Mr. Dobbs's conversion isn't credible, given his history of opposing efforts to liberalize immigration policies.

Jim Gilchrist, founder of the Minuteman Project, which seeks strict border enforcement and opposes legalization, said he admired Mr. Dobbs and will "watch him for several months before drawing a conclusion."

Political strategists, however, aren't dismissing the potential power of a Dobbs run. Ed Rollins, a Republican consultant who advised Mr. Perot, said Mr. Dobbs has two big factors in his favor: name recognition and a turbulent economic time that can help a populist, third-party figure.

During his Telemundo appearance, Mr. Dobbs was both defensive and conciliatory as Ms. Celeste ticked off what she said were the Latino community's grievances about Mr. Dobbs. "Many Hispanics consider you to be the No. 1 enemy of Latinos," she told him. "Do you think that the community is somehow misjudging you?"

"Oh, not somehow. Definitively, absolutely," Mr. Dobbs responded. "By the way, I don't believe for a moment that the Latino, Hispanic community in the United States believes that of me at all. It has been the efforts of the far left to characterize me in their propaganda as such."

Mr. Dobbs's relationship with Latinos will be crucial if he chooses to run against Sen. Robert Menendez (D., N.J.), the Senate's lone Hispanic. In response to the possibility, Menendez spokesman Afshin Mohamadi said: "I'm sure that he would relish eventually having an opponent from so far out of the mainstream who has never delivered a thing to the hard-working people of New Jersey."
    —T. W. Farnam and Nomaan Merchant contributed to this article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125910998942663259.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Thanks William. We will look forward to clarification.

One of the first things that makes me suspicious about this is that if Lou Dobbs actually said these things like the WSJ is claiming then there should already be shock waves rippling through the Spanish media.

If this is true, our opposition should be jumping in our faces already screaming victory chants at us.

Perhaps they don't know about this yet, but I find it surprising that a Telemundo interview of this potential would come to us first instead of the opposition groups.

That makes me very suspicious.

I found this video clip which is from three days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQxbzQpEWRg

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This article makes no mention of Lou Dobbs claiming to support a path to citizenship.

Lou Dobbs: That Was Then, This Is Now

* November 24, 2009, 8:00 PM ET

By Nomaan Merchant
    Wall Street Journal Blogs

Lou Dobbs, the former CNN anchor who is considering a new career in politics, has quickly been distancing himself from earlier on-camera fuming about illegal immigrants.

Just this past Friday, he sat down for an interview with Telemundo’s Maria Celeste: “Whatever you have thought of me in the past I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends and I mean for us to work together.â€

We need the entire Lou Dobbs interview on Telemundo as soon as we can get it.

W

Re: Dobbs Reaches Out to Latinos, With Politics in Mind

Mr. Dobbs twice mentioned a possible legalization plan for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., saying at one point that "we need the ability to legalize illegal immigrants under certain conditions."
    I don't think this is a change in his position, I think he said the same thing in the past about about legalization under certain limited conditions on a case by case basis, rather than a general amnesty like the LaRazi's support.

Chris Simcox says basically the same thing, they must have the same political advisor! You know how politicians like to talk out of both sides of their mouth.

I guess the big question is whether he thinks illegals with US born "anchor babies" should be allowed to stay since that in itself would end up creating a general amnesty.

We need the ability to have our immigration laws enforced, period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D8H7GeT ... re=related

Here is a video of Dobbs and Celeste where Dobbs mentions that there should be a "middle" ground reached on immigration. The video has Spanish translated but you can lightly hear the English conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by LawEnforcer
    Here is a video of Dobbs and Celeste where Dobbs mentions that there should be a "middle" ground reached on immigration. The video has Spanish translated but you can lightly hear the English conversation.
    That won't ever fly, like Mark Krikorian noted, there is no middle ground with groups with LaRaza, if you do not agree to unrestricted Latino immigration and benefits for them they believe you are a hateful, violent racist.

After all they are "The Race" and this is their Continent, that is how they think, what they believe.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast