Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Does the I-9 process require employers to be enforcers?

In search of fraudulent documents – Does the I-9 process really require employers to be enforcers?

November 28, 2011
    [Editor’s Note: today’s blog is courtesy of Sharon Mehlman and Kimberley Best Robidoux of Larrabee

Identity theft and the use of fraudulent documents is a national problem and in some instances it is a serious national security concern. This issue affects everyone and every business, and protective measures should be taken to secure individuals’ information. However, when these issues arise in the I-9 context, what is a reasonable employer legally required to do and is there agreement on that reasonableness standard?

As immigration attorneys, we have advised our corporate clients that they are not expected to be “document expertsâ€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

R.I.P. Form I-9 CNMI. Long live Form I-9.

Posted by bfancher in Form I-9

Effective today, November 28, 2011, employers hiring individuals for employment in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) must use the standard Form I-9 for all new hires and reverifications in the CNMI.

In 2009, U.S. immigration law began extending to the CNMI as a result of Title VII of the Consolidated Natural Resources Act of 2008 (CNRA), and required CNMI employers to use Form I-9 CNMI to verify the work eligibility of all new hires, regardless of citizenship.

Form I-9 CNMI contained additional List A documents issued by the CNMI government that are not acceptable on the standard Form I-9. These additional documents were only acceptable until Nov. 27, 2011.

By Nov. 28, 2011, all workers who previously held CNMI-issued employment authorization must have another basis of work authorization under U.S. law, or have a petition pending for CNMI-only transitional worker status as described below, to continue working in the CNMI.

Disclaimer: The content of this post does not constitute direct legal advice and is designed for informational purposes only. Information provided through this website should never replace the need for involving informed counsel on your employment and immigration issues.

http://everifyandi9news.com/2011/11/r-i ... oo%21+Mail
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn