Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    Yeah, watermelon vines need a lot of space, they sprawl out, plus the melons get big. Cucumbers do also need some space which would mean if you had planters, you would have to have long rectangular shaped ones, and you'd have to manage your vines. They seem to take sandy soil, a lot like watermelons do (we grow them up here in Eastern Oregon, they sometimes do ok on my side of the mountains, but it is a bit wet for them over here).

With cucumbers, make sure there are not too many buds on one vine, which would result in underdeveloped cucumbers, so thin the buds out so you have bigger sized ones to eat fresh, otherwise you would having pickling cukes, they do not taste so good un-pickled.

You can even grow your own strawberries in pots too. Also look for dwarf versions of fruit trees which can be in big pots and will produce fruit. Lots of variety of apples will do this (not sure if they will grow down there very well?) and of course lemon and orange trees have varieties.

I was trying to think of what else could be grown in pots. I guess you just have to look at what the size is when it is mature (the plant) and judge it by that. I have not given it a lot of thought as up here we have a lot of room to spread out, even in the city.

This brings to mind a story I have told before about gardens here.

In 1988 I worked downtown and took the light rail in from where I live (same town). Each day, when light rail started passing through Sullivans Gulch, which is where I-84 passes through, I could look to my right and see all along the railroad tracks, where there was all of this sloping land, being gardened by these Vietnamese and Cambodian immigrant women. They had gardens everywhere, with all sorts of things growing.

I always admired them for doing that. Using spots of land no one else would have thought to, plus providing for their families so they were self-sufficient. It made me more aware of how much we have and how little we make use of it.

BTW, PAF, I'll send you some of our infamous blackberries to plant !!! I am being really sarcastic, as once these things get going, they are like English Ivy, you cannot get rid of them. They are called Himalayan blackberries, and they grow all over western Oregon, in huge thickets, sometimes as tall as a 2 story building. Sure the berries make great pies and jams, but geez, these things are noxious.

We think it is funny to watch the illegals here go nuts over them. They see them as some kind of miracle, and we see them as weeds. Maybe we should send some starter plants down to Mexico for them to plant!!!!

Another thing we have all over here is apple, pear and plum trees from old farms. They like those too.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Liz wrote:
    You can even grow your own strawberries in pots too. Also look for dwarf versions of fruit trees which can be in big pots and will produce fruit.
    Just don`t let Illegals get near the pots.
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanElizabeth
    BTW, PAF, I'll send you some of our infamous blackberries to plant !!! I am being really sarcastic, as once these things get going, they are like English Ivy, you cannot get rid of them. They are called Himalayan blackberries, and they grow all over western Oregon, in huge thickets, sometimes as tall as a 2 story building. Sure the berries make great pies and jams, but geez, these things are noxious.

My hubby mentioned planting some along our fence and I told him NO
    they are just ugly! Glad I have back up on that one! I do love to eat the buggers but I would hate to find my entire backyard consumed by the thicket. I have a potato plant that was here when we bought the house, it is a flowering bush (not the veggie kind) and we have been at war with this thing for four years. We poison it. We pull it out. We cut it down and there it is again, green and growing! Someday I know it will win.

Also look for dwarf versions of fruit trees which can be in big pots and will produce fruit. Lots of variety of apples will do this (not sure if they will grow down there very well?) and of course lemon and orange trees have varieties.
    We planted a dwarf peach two years ago and we got 32 peaches full sized last summer! (yeah, we counted!) lol
    We also planted a dwarf orange which produced one cracked open orange!

This summer we planted two apple, and one lime. We are hoping for the best. I cant wait to pick everything so that we can do the work that Americans won't do!

We are so overloaded with blackberries here, even the birds hardly eat them! They will take over a yard. I admit, I love the smell of the ripe berries in the sun, but am so tired of them. The jam from them is great, but they are a VERY seedy berry and you have to strain the seeds off.

Mk, exactly. Around where I live, I'd find some illegals kid in our back patio using the pot. We frequently see these kids using a wall or fence all over this complex. I just yell out the front door "go home and pee, you don't do that, we have toilets for that!". You have to watch the little wall climbers around here, it is is standing still they will pee on it.

PAF, I am going to be curious about your apple trees, how well they do in CA. Our best spot up here is Hood River, Oregon (famous for it's apples). This place is incredible in the fall when apples and pears are ready, it is like stepping back in time, big wooden crates full of unwaxed apples and pears, you can smell apples wherever you go, fresh pressed apple cider, bales of hay to sit on while you drink it, fresh corn to buy. I could go on.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

STUCKNSEA

WELCOME!!

StuckNSea, I presume, by your name, you are a Navy person? I am from a Seattle based family and a Navy one at that. I live on the outskirts of Portland, towards Mt. Hood (Gresham).

I always complain about Portland being liberal, but Seattle simply takes the cake, well right next to San Fran.

We lived in Bremerton for a little bit, but moved back down here, jobs were scarce over there, but it was a nice area to live in.

Stay with us, we can always use another hand.

Hey - thanks for the welcome you two

Well, not in the navy, but I sorta grew up over in bummertown, lol, but do come from a military background.

My handle is more how I feel right now - that I'm stuck in seattle - I would move, but can't afford to, but then again, staying and fighting for my city/state does have an odd appeal! LOL
    You aren't missing anything up here let me tell ya - unless you have a fetish for the smell of an outhouse wafting through downtown, but the "law" up here is more into going after smokers at the bus stop than they are for people creating a health hazard. There is even a toll free number to report smokers - nice use of tax money - like there aren't more important things. I was downtown today and it was just disgusting, having to dodge "mexican road apples" - but don't dare say anything or else get labeled rascist. I sent a friend the link from here w/ the poopy video - got an email back - "it could just be propaganda -that guy looked like a native." Guess he doesn't understand that the two are working together to "get back at whitey."

I do have a open/group question though -
    Why is it that everyone is out to "get whitey" and everything he stands for, yet they fall over each other to live like we do. I mean if white people are so bad, why are they literally killing each other to live our "lifestyle." why are people literally dying by the boat load to get here if we're so "bad."
    I always make it a point to judge the individual, not hold a race accountable, but you wouldn't believe the names I get called in passing just because I'm tall and blonde. It's getting hard to turn the other cheek, but I'm not gonna go to jail for these cowards and thieves.

I don't really expect a "solution" - just humour my ass for awhile - I could use it! LOL

thanks for the rant

I see, understand where the handle comes from. Bremerton has perked up these days, I liked that it was a better place to have kids in, not perfect, but better than other place, but we had no family and friends close by,all were down here, and jobs went downhill after 9/11, right when we moved there, our bad timing.

As for the "out to get whitey" thing, I can understand the feelings of disgust that all of the other groups are allowed to speak their minds freely in order to lay blame for their troubles on one ethnic group, which I feel is totally wrong, as do millions of Americans, of all races.

The difference is that all the Americans who see the wrong in that mentallity of not only being a perpetual victim due to race, but also the blatant racism itself in that. These people are true Americans and want whats right for ALL Americans, not just minorities.

In order to get beyond the ridiculous notion that some peoples troubles are attributed to race, rather than their own troubles and inability to take personal responsibility for themselves, we need to stop allowing them to have that at all. It is as simple as laughing their claims off and rolling ones eyes, as you would with a child yelling "your not my friend anymore"! Oh, please.

I have finally stopped allowing peoples claims that they are unhappy because of some perceived notion that someone within another race is holding them back. None of us are held back by anything but our own issues, and that applies to ALL people. Once you get to that point and are comfortable within yourself, to know you have done nothing to hurt anyone else, then you will have won that race argument, and their words of racism will have no power anymore.

I started out here feeling enraged and angry like yourself, feeling fed-up. After having been here so long and being involved, learning from ALIPAC and educating myself on what is really happening, I have channeled that into something really productive, and have also made myself at least twice as confident as in the past, and more outspoken. It is empowering (sorry to use such a PC keyword as that!).

About Seattle, Portland is getting there, but still not quite that bad, yet. The suburbs are much more tolerable, and a haven for good average people who cannot stand the utlra-PC crowd of downtown. Downside is the income tax, we paid less in sales tax in Bremerton than we do in income tax.

Stay with us, we can use more help and enjoy the company (besides, it is getting harder to get people out west here involved).

well bremerton has been going downhill ever since the mall went up in silverdale in the mid 80's - when JC Penny's moved, downtown simply died. I remember when you used to be able to go cruising downtown, now it's a ghost town.
    They tried putting in an "art district" but when there's nothing else to do around there....... it's not doing well I hear

I heard rumour awhile back that PSNS was talking about buying the block across the street from the old Penny's for more office space. They finally re-did the road leading out of town towards port orchard, now you don't have to go around that corner anymore, you can just go straight on out of town now.

Had a big drug bust at bremerton high not long ago, so I think you can guess how things are going there! lol

I guess I can agree with it being not the best place to grow up, but FAR from the alternative!!! Sad to see it go down the tubes the way it did.

Darn it! I just noticed that Part 1 of the racist George Lopez's video has been removed by Youtube.

Ill go looking for a new replacement copy.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

StuckNSea Wrote:
    Why is it that everyone is out to "get whitey" and everything he stands for, yet they fall over each other to live like we do. I mean if white people are so bad, why are they literally killing each other to live our "lifestyle." why are people literally dying by the boat load to get here if we're so "bad."
    they want to live our lifestyle? Are you kidding. If that was so, we would`nt have as many prblems with them as we do. >lack of hygien, 6 families to a 1 bedroom house, run down communities, using this land for a city dump and convenient sewer, ect.
    They drag mexico up here with them.
    ------------------------

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast