Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Elias misses the boat

http://www.freelancenews.com/opinion/co ... p?c=162838

Elias misses the boat

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Editor,

Elias misses the boat

I believe columnist Tom Elias has missed the boat as it relates to the proposed “California Border Police.�

It seems to me that either Mr. Elias hasn’t done his homework to find out what this new agency would actually do, or he is purposely attempting to misinform the public.

Mr. Elias says that he doubts that the CBP could cut the flow of illegal aliens from Mexico into California. He suggests that illegal aliens would simply travel to California after entering the USA through another portal, such as Arizona, if the California-Mexico border becomes more secure.

He goes on to say that “a more constructive notion might be for the state to employ a corps of investigators to make unannounced calls on businesses of all types and check the immigration status of employees.� Shazaam! Bingo! This sounds like a workable, practical solution to me!

What Mr. Elias seems to have missed is that this is what the CBP would do. They would be authorized to patrol the border as well as enforce all federal immigration laws statewide. Their authority would include the ability to enforce laws against employers who knowingly hire illegal aliens.

The CBP would also carry out immigration sweeps throughout the interior of the state of California. Assistance at the actual border would only be one function of this new police force, not the only function.

The creation of the CBP would reduce the illegal alien population within the state of California. The reality of interior sweeps and employer sanctions would make California a much less attractive destination for legal aliens.

Gregory Routt, via e-mail
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

This was voted down today in committee, they reason was becuase it isnt the right of california and it is the federal government job to enforce the immigration laws. Yeah, what BS.

Prometheus