Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Escondido - City Gets Longer Response Time..

From all I've read the Escondido council members are firm in their decision. They need our total continued support. Remember, this is southern CA!!!

http://www.10news.com/news/10414747/detail.html

City Gets Longer Response Time For Illegal-Immigration Housing Lawsuit

POSTED: 10:23 am PST November 28, 2006
    UPDATED: 10:29 am PST November 28, 2006

ESCONDIDO, Calif. -- A federal judge has extended the city of Escondido's deadline to respond to a lawsuit challenging its illegal-immigrant housing ordinance, it was reported Tuesday.

U.S. District Court Judge John A. Houston late last week gave Escondido's legal defense team until Dec. 29 to respond to the suit, filed earlier this month by the American Civil Liberties Union, which claims the ordinance is unconstitutional and pre-empted by federal immigration law, the North County Times reported.

The law is designed to prevent landlords from renting to illegal immigrants by suspending their business licenses for each unit occupied by undocumented aliens.

The ordinance also provides for landlords to be fined up to $1,000 per day for each tenant who continues living at the property.

Originally, the city had been given until Dec. 15 to respond to the lawsuit, which was filed on behalf of two Escondido landlords and two illegal immigrants who live in the city and who say their families would be displaced if the measure is enforced, the newspaper reported.

Two weeks ago -- one day before the law was to take effect -- Houston issued a temporary restraining order prohibiting the city from enforcing the ordinance. A preliminary injunction hearing is scheduled for March 8.

If granted, a preliminary injunction would bar Escondido from enforcing the ordinance until the lawsuit has been fully litigated.

In response to Houston's restraining order, El Groupo, a coalition of local Hispanic and civil rights leaders, issued a letter to the Escondido City Council last week asking members to set aside the ordinance.

However, the council majority that approved the measure in October has said it will continue to defend the law against legal challenges, the Times reported.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

North County Times Version

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Money is the motivation here wrote on November 27, 2006 9:45 PM:"Sounds like the only winners in this battle are going to be the lawyers. "

Can the City of Escondido wrote on November 28, 2006 5:53 AM:"sue El Grupo and the ACLU? I am fairly sure that Escondido will win this suit."

Robert24 wrote on November 28, 2006 6:52 AM:"I know, I know, this is a stupid question, but I have to ask it: How can two illegals file a law suit in a Country they do not legally belong in? Does anybody have a brain anymore? They are ILLEGAL! Oops, hope I didn't step on any toes or offend anybody out there by speaking the truth. Maybe I'll try to sugar coat the next illegal activity I come up against that I feel the need to comment on (Murder: Life shortening assistance, Child Molester: Over Aggressive Adult, Stealing: In need individual, etc.). Gimme a break."

Jake wrote on November 28, 2006 7:07 AM:"Here we go again “El Grupo” without a name of a cause. I have not seen any civil rights leaders in the North County for over 40 years and the community they claim to serve except by the NCT does not recognize these “local Latinos leaders.” El Grupo can easily be traced to the status quo and the NCT is covering up because there is too much PUBLIC money at stake. It is not civil rights stupid it is the filtering of public funds they are trying to protect. "

Don't like the ACLU wrote on November 28, 2006 7:19 AM:"Looks like the ACLU has nothing to loose since the City would have to pay for their legal cost if the City looses. What if the ACLU looses, do they pay for the City's costs? If that were the case they might think twice about filing all these law suits."

ACLU needs to wrote on November 28, 2006 8:11 AM:"lit a fire under the Feds and make sure they are doing their immigration job correctly, all illegas need to be deported immediately. And if I was the City of Escondido, I would sue the Federal Goverment to recoup all legal fees, as we are being put in a position to enforce federal law. The law are politicans are blantly ignoring. The one person who runs on the illegal issue for President , Dem or Rep, will become our next President. "

Paying the Bills wrote on November 28, 2006 8:46 AM:"Notice to the City of Escondido: I have no children in your school system. Take the taxes I pay to educate illegal alien children and direct it to the legal defense fund for this ordinance!"

John Q wrote on November 28, 2006 9:08 AM:"Refer to the story below titled "Man suspected of attempted kidnapping in Escondido" .Maybe if the pro-illegals activits read the story (if they can read english) they would understand why the City (and the whole country) needs this type of ordinance..."

AResident wrote on November 28, 2006 10:14 AM:"One thing for sure is that the City of Escondido needs to find another way to find out who is legal and who is not. If the City refuses to have the documents of people checked to see if they are valid or using someone elses ID. We as the Citizens of this city should start shopping else where. Maybe if the CITY see's a reduction of sales tax revenue as well as businesses they will wake up. Let them rely on the Hispanic comunity to provide all the operating money. Not all Hispanics are illegal. Wanted to add that. If then. They choose to raise taxes to cover the loss. Stop using water and gas and elect. to a minimum. Continue to shop in RB, San Diego etc. Give your money to another comunity. Re-elect someone new. I'll run for mayor. Anyone else?"

Escondeeter wrote on November 28, 2006 12:16 PM:"If 'El Grupo' really cared about what the suit is costing Escondido, they could stop it any time they wanted by getting their buddies to file a motion to dismiss. Their crocodile tears about costs are as phony as their claims of being concerned about the community. "

Dave in Oceanside wrote on November 28, 2006 12:48 PM:"All you LEGAL immigrants, read this carefully. If we get rid of the Illegal Aliens then an oversupply of rental housing will materialize. That means less expensive housing. If we get rid of the Illegal Aliens then an oversupply of manufacturing jobs will be available which means employers will have to pay you more for your hourly wage. If we get rid of the Illegal Aliens then health care would be less expensive and would be readily available. If we get rid of the Illegal Aliens then snarled traffic would be a thing of the past. Let’s see cheaper housing more income easy access to health care, less traffic, what’s not to like. "

to- Escondeeter wrote on November 28, 2006 1:22 PM:"El Grupo is ONLY concerned about their BREAD and BUTTER!!! A whole lot of 501C3’s that live off of public funds and claim to be helping the poor are only helping themselves in pretence of helping the poor. If the illegal immigrants were to leave they would loose they DOUGH!!!! So El Grupo has a whole lot to protect $$$$$$$."

illegals is illegal wrote on November 28, 2006 1:40 PM:"its funny how it seems like illegal immigrants have more rights then americans now days. they say its in humane to deport 12 million illegals and its not because if you stayed in your country in the first place instead of breaking into ours none of this would be needed. 12 million criminals is what i see and they dont respect or even like usa or the american way of life, there here just for free handouts and thats the truth. i think escondido will win because they have the backing of a lot of californian reps and other political figures and the aclu will not win. there simply delaying the process until we finally get this ordinance passed in march and 50 thousand illegals can move to national city since they dont mind trouble. illegals cant affort a house here like normal single family americans so they put 15 illegals in a house so they can afford to pay for housing and im pretty sure thats coming to a halt come march when we can report all these houses to the state and clean up escondido. we dont need neighbors who blast music, drink in public, drive with no id. break just about every law you can think of. this conflict will never go away from now on and the aclu knows that there fighting a losing battle because when they sue and fail they cant do anymore about it and thats when we make illegals leave."

Attorney wrote on November 28, 2006 2:10 PM:"As an attorney I can tell you that any law student who stayed awake during Constitutional Law classes could tell you that this ordinance is clearly and without doubt unconstitutional. If this law were allowed to stand it would open the door to any city passing laws regulating air travel, radio transmissions or any other issue that is the responsibility of the Federal Goverment. The lawyers for the city are either incompetent or the council ignored the advice of the attorneys. Someone should be held responsible for the illegal activity of the Escondido City council. How about it all you law and order fanatics??????"

Also wrote on November 28, 2006 4:33 PM:"It is also unconstitutional... A. having 15 illigals living in a 1100 square foot house B. taking the rights away from US citiezens. Attorny tell me about my rights."

L.C. wrote on November 28, 2006 4:40 PM:"I say, "HANG ON." Escondido expected law suits. It is more expensive for American tax payers to keep supporting these freeloader illegals than the cost for lawyer fees. It is a matter of American pride to get our country back instead of loosing it to third world invaders."

Also wrote on November 28, 2006 4:51 PM:"It is also unconstitutional... A. Having 15 illegal living in an 1100 square foot house C. You have to park your car 5 min. away from your house because of 8 cars next door. B. Taking the rights away from US citizens. C. Our children can't walk on the streets without being threatened D. Don't get jobs if you don't speak Spanish E. Paying healths care premiums but don't get service for 8 hours F. Our children don’t get the proper education, because of classroom size I am serving on a board of an Escondido School, and all the funds the schools receive mostly is spent on kids who can’t speak English. Any other country you go believe me they won’t learn your language, oh no if you like to live there you better learn the language. The country I came from we got students from turkey didn’t spoke our language at first, but guess what after a year these students did. It is time to stop all this non-sense, I learned your language because I like to be here, and I love to be a US Citizen. If you don’t feel like this you don’t belong here. Do your paper work at the INS, learn the language, and then only then you can live the American dream. "Attorney tell me about my rights". I see in the points above that the American people being harassed and the constitution is not enforced. "

LOSS OF LOCAL CONTROL KILLING CITIES wrote on November 28, 2006 7:23 PM:""If there is one thing that Americans hold dear, it is a belief that local control is paramount to a representative democracy." http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/11 ... _25_06.txt"

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/11 ... _27_06.txt