http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=49785

Eva Longoria: Don't deport illegals
'Mexicans contribute an enormous amount to our society'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 18, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Actress and model Eva Longoria on cover of USA Weekend last week

"Desperate Housewives" vixen Eva Longoria is stepping out of the house with her political views on immigration, saying it's "unfortunate" some American lawmakers are looking to deport illegal aliens and build a barrier on the U.S.-Mexico border.

"Mexicans contribute an enormous amount to our society, economically and socially," the Texas-born Mexican-American actress told Reuters. "I don't think this administration can afford to have things end badly."

In an interview published in Ireland Online, the actress who worked with the John Kerry presidential campaign in 2004, accepted the fact she has become a role model for the Latin community, and is looking to effect change in the lives of foreigners living below the poverty line in the U.S.

"I work a lot with the National Council of La Raza, which is the largest Latino civil rights organization in the country and I work a lot with the United Farm Workers," Longoria, 31, said. "I've been in the fields with these people and I've tried to experience a day in the life of these people. I'm producing a documentary on the labor workers."

She added: "We're in this big debate about the future of our immigration laws which is colored by the often negative media portrayals of Latinos in television and film. In the 1940s, after the Great Depression, they did a huge deportation of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans who were American citizens ... .

"Everyone has a right to be treated as a human being. There are slavery lawsuits in Florida right now against some orange growers. ... The fact that the year is 2006 and slavery's still happening is insane."