Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Experts: 'Ridiculous' Lawsuit Won't Nix Ariz. Law on Illegal

Experts: 'Ridiculous' Lawsuit Won't Nix Arizona Law on Illegals
    Tuesday, 06 Jul 2010 08:05 PM
    By: David A. Patten

Top Republicans blasted the Obama administration's lawsuit against Arizona's controversial illegal immigration law Tuesday as "nothing short of ridiculous."

Immigration law experts tell Newsmax that the administration has little chance of prevailing against the Arizona statute, which empowers police to arrest illegal aliens once another violation has occurred.

After weeks of speculation, the Department of Justice filed a 22-page lawsuit in the U.S. District Court of Arizona on Tuesday.

President Obama alleges that the law could contribute to racial profiling.

"In the United States of America, no law-abiding person, be they an American citizen, a legal immigrant or a visitor or tourist from Mexico, should ever be subject to suspicion simply because of what they look like," Obama said when Mexican President Felipe Calderon visited the White House in May.

Apparently unable to substantiate the racial-profiling allegation — the Arizona law doesn't even take effect until July 29 — the administration instead focused its lawsuit narrowly on the Supremacy Clause in the U.S. Constitution.

That clause says federal laws take precedent over state laws. Article 6, Clause 2 of the U.S. Constitution states that laws made "under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding."

Supporters of the Arizona law, however, say it is merely intended to enforce federal laws already on the books.

“The Justice Department’s complaint that Arizona has somehow preempted federal law is nothing short of ridiculous,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It says the law interferes with federal priorities
    What's the matter Washington, afraid it will cut into your drug money?
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou