Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Family, Friends, Authorities Respond to Zapata's Slaying

Family, friends respond to Brownsville man's slaying
    February 16, 2011 11:44 PM
    By JACQUELINE ARMENDARIZ, Brownsville Herald
    The Brownsville Herald

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement special agents assigned to attaché offices have various responsibilities that include:

* Coordinating investigations with foreign law enforcement counterparts;
    * Providing domestic and international ICE offices with investigative case support and information related to cross-border criminal activities involving people, goods and technology;
    * Providing training and capacity building to foreign law enforcement counterparts;
    * Assisting in removal operations by facilitating ICE efforts to repatriate removable aliens; and
    * Referring requests from host country agencies to ICE domestic investigative offices.

Source: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Jaime Jorge Zapata was the kind of guy everyone wanted to be around.

A pleasant, energetic young man, the 32-year-old Brownsville native was, very simply, “genuine.â€

Authorities outraged by Zapata killing
    February 16, 2011 9:47 PM
    By LAURA B. MARTINEZ and EMMA PEREZ-TREVINO The Brownsville Herald

Local and federal officials on Wednesday expressed sorrow and outrage over the death of ICE Special Agent Jaime Jorge Zapata, 32, who was gunned down Tuesday afternoon in an attack by suspected Zeta gunmen in Mexico.

Most believe the U.S. federal government needs to do more to assist Mexico with ongoing drug violence.

“Members of Congress need to realize that we’ve got to do more to help Mexico. ... Some of my colleagues still believe that all you have to do is put up a fence and that is going to solve all the problems,â€

Condolences for family of slain ICE agent
    February 16, 2011 1:20 PM
    THE BROWNSVILLE HERALD

Local and federal officials today are expressing their condolences to the family of ICE Agent Jaime Jorge Zapata, who was killed Tuesday in what is believed to be an attack by the Zetas drug cartel.

The Brownsville native had been working temporarily in Mexico City, officials said.

Zapata, 32, graduated from the University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College in 2005, where he received an associate degree in Applied Science and a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice.

He also attended Hanna High School.

Zapata, on assignment to the ICE attache office in Mexico City from his post in Laredo, died Tuesday when gunmen attacked the agents' blue Suburban vehicle as they drove through the northern state of San Luis Potosi.

The second agent is Victor Avila, according to U.S. officials who weren't authorized to speak on the case. He was shot twice in the leg and transported back to the United States, where he is in stable condition, according to an ICE statement Wednesday.

The agents were driving a four-lane, federal highway from Mexico City to Monterrey when they were stopped at what may have appeared to be a military checkpoint, according to one Mexican official, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the case. Mexican military officers said they had no checkpoints in the area.

After they stopped, someone opened fire on them, an official said.

Mayor Speaks Out

According to Mayor Pat M. Ahumada Jr., Zapata's body will be arriving in the U.S. tomorrow.

“My sincere condolences to the entire family of Jaime Zapata,â€

Rest in peace Agent Zapata. My deepest condolence goes out to the family. May God be with and give each of you strength to overcome your grief and sadness...Amen
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

CUELLAR STATEMENT ON SHOOTING OF ICE SPECIAL AGENTS IN MEXICO

Washington, Feb 15 - Congressman Henry Cuellar (TX- 28 ) released the following statement upon learning that two U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement special agents of Homeland Security Investigations were shot outside Mexico City this afternoon.

“I was deeply saddened to learn that two brave special agents had been shot in the line of duty in Mexico today. One of these agents is seriously injured and one has succumbed to his injuries. My thoughts and prayers remain with them, and with their families.

“While all the facts are not yet clear, any attack on American law enforcement in the line of duty is an outrage and unconscionable. ICE agents and everyone who serves in our law enforcement community- stateside and abroad- deserve nothing but the utmost respect for their service and dedication to our national security. We maintain our safety as a nation based on their hard work and sacrifices. We must persecute those responsible to the full extent of the law, while continuing to support institutions that combat criminal elements.

“Today, I served as Ranking Member in a hearing called ‘Securing Our Borders – Operational Control’ in the Subcommittee on Border and Maritime Security, for the Homeland Security Committee. I am hopeful that today’s discussion will lead to an improved path forward regarding effective border policies and practices, especially ensuring that the ‘bad guys’ don’t even make it to our borders. We in Congress must provide the Department of Homeland Security all the tools and resources it needs.

“My deepest sympathies go out to the agents, their families and the law enforcement community at large and along the border.â€

U.S. Representative Blake Farenthold Condemns the Violent Attacks on ICE Agents
    Feb 16, 2011 Issues: Defense and National Security

Washington, D.C. – On Tuesday afternoon, two Immigration and Custom Enforcement (ICE) Officers were shot while working in Mexico. One special agent was shot twice in the leg and is currently receiving medical treatment. Special Agent Jaime Zapata was fatally wounded during the attack.

Special Agent Zapata joined ICE in 2006. He joined one of ICE’s offices in Laredo, Texas, where he served on the Human Smuggling and Trafficking Unit, as well as the Border Enforcement Security Task Force. He was most recently detailed to ICE’s Attaché office in Mexico City. He began his federal law enforcement career with the Department of Homeland Security as a member of the U.S. Border Patrol in Yuma, Arizona. A native of Brownsville, Texas, Special Agent Zapata graduated from the University of Texas at Brownsville in 2005 with a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice.

Rep. Farenthold has condemned the attack as a brutal act of violence against law enforcement officers and the people of South Texas. “I spoke with the Zapata family earlier today to extend my deepest condolences and offer my support. Special Agent Zapata died in service to his country, and community,â€

Congressman John Culberson’s Statement on the Death of ICE Agent

February 16, 2011

Posted by Megan Mitchell in In The News

Congressman John Culberson (R-TX) issued the following statement on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent killed yesterday in Mexico:

“I was saddened to hear of the death of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent who was shot yesterday in Mexico, and the agent who was wounded. My thoughts and prayers are with these agents and their families. Sadly, these men are the most recent victims of an increasingly violent situation plaguing Texas and our neighbor to the south.

“I recently returned from a trip to our southern border and know that ICE agents are serving on the front lines. In my trip earlier this month, I met with many local officials from Arizona to Texas. They all stressed the need for greater resources and adjudication capacity. Unfortunately President Obama and his Administration have failed in this effort, and it is now time for Congress to act.

“I have been successful in pushing a zero tolerance program that is dramatically reducing crime and illegal immigration along our southern border. Under this strict enforcement policy, everyone caught crossing the border illegally is arrested, prosecuted, and jailed for up to six months. We have had great success in the Del Rio sector, and as Vice Chairman of the Homeland Security Subcommittee on Appropriations, I am working to expand it from Brownsville to San Diego.

I would encourage President Obama to visit our southern border and join me in expanding the zero tolerance program. Too many lives have been lost for the federal government to stand idly by. It is time to put an end to this horrific violence.â€

Statement by Congressman Michael McCaul (R-TX), Chairman of the Homeland Security Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee, on the murder of a US federal agent in Mexico. Rep. McCaul was briefed on the incident by ICE.

02/16/11

"This was an intentional ambush against two United States federal agents, which I view as an attack against the United States. Special Agent Jaime Zapata, who was killed, and a fellow agent who survived, were pursued by numerous cartel members and run off the road while driving a US government vehicle with diplomat license plates. When the agents identified themselves as American diplomats, the cartel members responded by opening fire on the officers. US law enforcement has operated in Mexico for more than two decades without threat of violence from drug cartels. This tragic event is a game changer. The United States will not tolerate acts of violence against its citizens or law enforcement and I believe we must respond forcefully. This should be a long overdue wakeup call for the Obama administration that there is a war on our nation's doorstep."

http://mccaul.house.gov/index.cfm?secti ... temid=1142

Banned
    " I believe we must respond forcefully. This should be a long overdue wakeup call for the Obama administration that there is a war on our nation's doorstep."
    Damn right!

“My deepest sympathies go out to the agents, their families and the law enforcement community at large and along the border.â€

[quote="airdale"]" I believe we must respond forcefully. This should be a long overdue wakeup call for the Obama administration that there is a war on our nation's doorstep."
    Damn right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast