Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

For family of illegal immigrants, Dallas is home but not a h

http://www.dallasnews.com

For family of illegal immigrants, Dallas is home but not a haven

11:52 PM CDT on Saturday, May 13, 2006
    By ALFREDO CORCHADO / The Dallas Morning News

The man who answers the door of the North Dallas apartment wears a dark blue denim shirt, faded jeans and a nervous smile. He's a construction worker, with callused hands and a firm handshake. Dinner preparations are under way.

"We make it a point of dining together every night," Humberto says.

"You never know whether it's our last dinner together," adds his wife, Catalina.

Humberto, Catalina and their children are illegal immigrants, a group both vilified and hotly defended in the ongoing U.S. debate over immigration. While their illegal status makes their situation tenuous, they go about their lives much as their legal neighbors do – working, paying taxes, and going to school and soccer games.

They are typical in another way as well. Most illegal immigrants in the United States today are living as part of a family rather than singly, according to the Washington-based Pew Hispanic Center.

The family agreed to talk about their situation on the condition that their full names and the name of their hometown, in the northern Mexican state of Coahuila, not be revealed.

The demographic shift from single immigrants to families came as the illegal population in the U.S. grew from 5 million in 1996 to as many as 12 million today, many of them Mexicans who fled their country following the devastating 1994 peso devaluation. Today, more than 8 million are living in families, and about 3 million are single men or women, according to the Pew study.

"In the early 1990s ... enforcement along the border got ramped up, and some indications are that that made it harder, more expensive and more dangerous [to cross], and at that point those who decided to stay in the U.S. brought along their families," says Jeffrey Passel, a Pew demographer.

Father first, family later

That's true of Humberto, who arrived in Dallas alone in 1995 and was surrounded by single men. By 2001, he had enough. He arranged tourist visas for his wife and their youngest children for a "brief" visit to Dallas. Once they were in Dallas, he implored them to remain, saying, "Hundreds die annually crossing that line through the desert, or Rio Bravo, just to get here, and yet you're already here, safe. Stay."

And stay they did – Catalina, along with José Juan, now 19, and Cecilia, 17, two of their five children. Manuel, 23, came later, paying a coyote, or people smuggler, about $1,200 to get him across the border.

For all the talk of undocumented people existing in an underground world, this family lives openly – no more than a five-minute drive from million-dollar homes and upscale malls.

"We may be invisible, and we may be at the bottom, but we're also somebody's neighbor," says Humberto, 47.

In many ways they lead ordinary lives, but their lives are unusually stressful. They worry constantly about Border Patrol agents discovering them and separating them from one another. They listen each day to radio updates on the whereabouts of immigration agents, constantly using cellphones and text messaging to share that information with relatives.

Their world is one in which an immigrant who needs a driver's license may drive to a neighboring state, such as Arkansas, where rules are more lax. It is a world in which an immigrant might visit a supermarket, where men wearing baseball caps slip out of their cars and within minutes offer identification cards for $75, Social Security cards for $85, or driver's licenses for $80.

"The demand from employers is such that you can always find a job, with fake papers," says Manuel. "All you need to succeed in this country is a strong work ethic."

Beyond the debate

America's immigration debate – which President Bush will address in a speech Monday night – often is framed as an argument between people who believe illegal immigrants are a growing burden to the U.S. and a drain on public services and those who see them as a benefit to the economy, doing low-skilled, poorly paid jobs that Americans won't touch. The tale of Humberto and his family defies such simple formulas.

Each year, Humberto and Catalina file a joint income tax return. Although they use bogus Social Security cards, taxes are withheld. The government places that money in a "suspense fund," where billions of dollars end up because of invalid numbers or unverifiable names.

The family pays taxes and fees on the three vehicles they own, along with auto insurance. They pay sales taxes on more mundane items, such as school clothes and computers for José Juan and Cecilia.

Last year Catalina, 45, was rushed to Parkland Memorial Hospital when she felt a sharp pain in her stomach. The wait was six hours, and the pain eventually subsided. She left without seeing a doctor. A month later, she received a bill for $85 from the hospital, which she paid in cash – the way she pays all bills.

"They don't like leaving behind a paper trail," says José Juan, sitting next to his parents in their crowded $500-a-month apartment, where the living room is dominated by Manuel's bed. "They're obsessed about that."

Catalina says her stress is such that lately she has trouble sleeping. She misses her two older sons back in Coahuila, whom she hasn't seen in almost five years.

She says she agonizes over what each dawn will bring. In the last two months, her thoughts have focused on redadas – immigration raids, such as those carried out in 26 U.S. cities last month.

"The fear of being separated from my family keeps me up all night," says Catalina, tears welling in her eyes.

Her fears were nearly realized last month when Border Patrol vans swooped onto a construction site where Manuel works. During the lunchtime raid, some workers fled through rubble. Others were helped by their black and Anglo co-workers, who used hand and eye signals to direct them to hiding places beneath the buildings, in stairwells and on partly constructed roofs.

Manuel hid behind boxes for two hours. When he came out, he was shaken but filled with new appreciation for his fellow employees.

"I'll never forget the gesture from my colleagues," he says. "They proved that at work we're all a team, legal or illegal. I'm thankful to them."

Catalina credits Manuel's good fortune to the Virgin of Guadalupe. Two candles in jars painted with the Virgin's image sit next to an open Bible, a gift from her parents. They remain lighted day and night to help thwart the long reach of la migra – the Border Patrol.

'Living like half a person'

In Dallas, the family socializes little, but Sundays are an exception. Everyone goes to Mass and then to soccer tournaments, where they cheer on the two sons, who play alongside eight other young men from the same Coahuila hometown.

They have friends – illegal immigrants, too – who have been in Dallas long enough that they're buying homes. Humberto thinks of buying a home, too, but the future is too murky and his finances too shaky.

He earns $10.50 an hour, also working in construction. In 1995, he was a heavy-machine operator in Coahuila, but the peso devaluation pushed him to Texas, where he landed a roofing job in San Antonio. Two weeks later, he arrived in Dallas, drawn by construction jobs. Over 11 years in Texas, he's had five employers.

"Life is definitely better here, but living the life of a mojado [illegal] is living like half a person," he says.

Catalina, who never held a job before moving to the U.S., nods in agreement. In Coahuila, she was her town's social event coordinator, organizing the annual Christmas parties, or posadas. Now she assembles cardboard boxes in Garland, sometimes working seven days a week. She earns $220 each week, $240 with overtime. Humberto drives her to work at 4 a.m., and José Juan picks her up after school. She's in bed by 8 p.m.

"In the United States I lose track of the months," she says. "I know whether it's Monday or Friday, but not whether it's May or July. The months just go by."

The family would like green cards or other documentation that would allow them to cross the border legally and to spend time with their family members on both sides of the border. But to apply for legal status would take several years and require them to return to Mexico.

For now, the children's education is paramount for the family.

"Emotionally you're beaten down here," says Humberto. "You become a robot. We'd like to return to Mexico ... someday. We just wanted to pave the road for our children, the next generation, help them build a better future."

Cecilia is a junior and José Juan a senior in high school. They're fluent in English and made the honor roll. On Saturdays, José Juan and five friends – all illegal immigrants and high school seniors – perform community service to maintain their honor-roll status.

José Juan and his friends joke about not being able to go to concerts because their parents fear that immigration authorities would raid the hall. Sometimes they volunteer at malls, registering people to vote, even though they themselves are ineligible.

This Tuesday evening, José Juan, who wants to be an architect, and his girlfriend, Lizzet, also undocumented, prepare for finals.

Graduation is imminent, and José Juan has his sights set on a local community college because a four-year university would be too expensive. Illegal immigrants have access to in-state college tuition rates but do not qualify for federal student aid.

But the family members say they accept such drawbacks. For them, Dallas is home, notwithstanding the billboards that brand them invaders.

On April 9, Humberto, Catalina and the children all marched in support of immigrant rights.

"We're not criminals," says José Juan. "We're your neighbors."

E-mail acorchado@dallasnews.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

one more

Another bleeding heart story about a criminal who continues to knowingly break the law, brings his family here because he doesn't have the balls to fix his own country.

I'm so sick of this romantic [mod edit]. I can't wait for the day when the stories about how the illegals suck our country, kill our children, sell them drugs, rape, etc outnumber these romantic Holy Grail stories.

Had enough, let's get tough.

These illegals really peeve me off. I'm a criminal and I'm going to disrespect your laws and squat until you have to keep me. Heck No!
    You've got to go!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yeah i agree with you but our problem right now is we need MOE suporters. I still come across so many US citizens who are blissfully unaware of the illegal invasion threat. I cant believe it.

so how can we recrtuit more to our cause? Obviously the media is not helping (except for Lou Dobbs)

Anyone have a violin handy?

yep, im tired of this romantic BS myself...it's despicable that they say we're not criminals..we're your neighbors...um last time i checked coming into this country ILLEGALLY....was a crime. Might wanna brush up on the constitution of the U.S. educate your selfs and your kids about it. By the way...tell the virgin of guadalupe i want a free ride in heaven and i want her to pay for everything. gimme a break.

Another failed romance novelist.

They worry constantly about Border Patrol agents discovering them and separating them from one another.
    Good I hope they worry every second of their lives, like many Americans worry everday about what our country is becoming.

The family pays taxes and fees on the three vehicles they own, along with auto insurance. They pay sales taxes on more mundane items, such as school clothes and computers for José Juan and Cecilia.
    They own 3 vehicles? How nice for them. And do let me congratulate them on paying for auto insurance and sales tax like the rest of us that is so big of them to do.

Catalina says her stress is such that lately she has trouble sleeping. She misses her two older sons back in Coahuila, whom she hasn't seen in almost five years.
    I have the percect solution for this, GO BACK WHERE YOU BELONG.

She says she agonizes over what each dawn will bring. In the last two months, her thoughts have focused on redadas – immigration raids, such as those carried out in 26 U.S. cities last month.

"The fear of being separated from my family keeps me up all night," says Catalina, tears welling in her eyes.
    Cry me a river. Thinking of what was once my beautiful country becoming a third world toilet bowl keeps me up at night and no one is writing sob stories about how I feel.

He earns $10.50 an hour, also working in construction.
    Does he ever think about the Americans that used to work construction making $20-$30 dollars an hour and how they are supporting their families? Of course not, all that matters is that the dear sweet illegals get their "better life"

Catalina, who never held a job before moving to the U.S., nods in agreement. In Coahuila, she was her town's social event coordinator,
    She was a social event coordinator?????? Yeah these were peasants, starving and they just HAD to come here to feed their children.

For now, the children's education is paramount for the family.
    Oh you mean the education for your children that you are getting for free at the expense of our own American children. The one's whose parents you've put out of a job and who are paying the taxes to support the schools?

Emotionally you're beaten down here," says Humberto. "You become a robot. We'd like to return to Mexico ... someday. We just wanted to pave the road for our children, the next generation, help them build a better future."
    Believe me we want you to return to Mexico, in fact I will volunteer to drive you across the border.

This is a perfect example of what the media is doing for these people. Perhaps the feds should pretend to be the media and when they go "interview" them then that's when they make the bust but wait till they get the story which is really just a confession. It's how they caught many graffiti "artists" out here in Phoenix. The cops pretended they were making a documentary. The kids were more than glad to show off their handiwork and once they did, they were busted.

Quote Originally Posted by arizona85032
    This is a perfect example of what the media is doing for these people. Perhaps the feds should pretend to be the media and when they go "interview" them then that's when they make the bust but wait till they get the story which is really just a confession. It's how they caught many graffiti "artists" out here in Phoenix. The cops pretended they were making a documentary. The kids were more than glad to show off their handiwork and once they did, they were busted.
    Just this week a story was posted about an illegal who told his story to the newspaper. He worked at McDonald's. His employer fired him after the story.

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-26580-mcdonalds.html