Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Farmers, business owners concerned about finding workers

Farmers, business owners concerned about finding workers

By Sharon Dunn

In east Greeley, Kevin LaFleur turns away a good 50 percent of the people who want to cut meat at his light industrial business, Colorado Premium Foods, because they don’t have adequate identification.

Dewey Zabka sees fewer people wanting to work his Weld County onion and potato fields each year, and the ones who are hired don’t stay as long.

Bob Sakata feels lucky. His workers were laid off from the construction and landscaping industries, and they were able to help in the fields of his farms in Adams and Weld counties.

Although their stories are different, the men share one trait: They are on a constant vigil for available workers. There’s a pool of laborers for them in this sometimes back-breaking work, but it’s a pool that is rapidly shrinking in the wake of immigration raids and arrests in an already ailing economy. The recent large-scale identity theft investigation in Weld may compound the problem.

“With the tightening on immigration, less people are showing up,â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Farmers, business owners concerned about finding workers

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    There’s a pool of laborers for them in this sometimes back-breaking work, but it’s a pool that is rapidly shrinking
    I guess the recent rising unemployment news and the news about the economy tanking escaped the notice of this writer.

Yeah, let's make sure we don't use everify and we make sure we employ all those illegals over our own unemployed citizens!!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Re: Farmers, business owners concerned about finding workers

Quote Originally Posted by patbrunz
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    There’s a pool of laborers for them in this sometimes back-breaking work, but it’s a pool that is rapidly shrinking
    I guess the recent rising unemployment news and the news about the economy tanking escaped the notice of this writer.

Yeah, let's make sure we don't use everify and we make sure we employ all those illegals over our own unemployed citizens!!
    There's are LOTS of unemployed workers! These industries just don't want to pay human wages. They want to continue the slave wages. People won't go for it so they complain there's no workers. Get Real!

They should all be forced to get workers from unemployment.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Not one word in the entire article about the H2A agriculture worker visa. Should be enlighten the writer about it?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"We don't have a local labor force willing to work," Zabka said. "WAGES DON'T SEEM TO BE THE PROBLEM AS FAR AS LOCALS. They either want to work or they don't."

"Other farms have tried to mechnanize or automate to replace labor; in many cases, they reduce the amount they farm."

These facts do not, however, excuse the fact that no mention is made of the availablity of the H-2A Visas Temporary Workers in Agriculture program to import unlimited legal foreign workers annually.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas2step
    "We don't have a local labor force willing to work," Zabka said. "WAGES DON'T SEEM TO BE THE PROBLEM AS FAR AS LOCALS. They either want to work or they don't."
    Supply and demand. Pay enough and you'll get workers.
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

I believe his point, Pat, was that, in the case of the heavy physical agricultural work required here, his experience shows that most local people really will not do it, regardless of the wages offered. I had read that statement before by a female fruit grower in California, who stated that she could not find local people willing to work for her no matter how many places she advertised or what wages she offered (and she was speaking of wages of from $16 to $19 per hour).

I believe that, after WWII (during which Mex. "bracheros" were brought in to do heavy agricultural work), many Americans who previously had done this work moved on to the better paying jobs available after the war. In this regard, I read we also have become "victims of our own success": US. financial aid programs aimed at providing educational opportunities to more and more Americans have resulted in fewer and fewer Americans being limited to doing physical labor all their lives, which was the goal of the programs.

However, that does not negate the availability of the legal H-2A Visas Program to bring in foreign workers to do this work now. This program, when properly enforced, also aims to insure that the wages and health of these imported foreign laborers are protected while they are true "guest workers" in our country. Unfortunately, the latter evidently has not always been the case either.

I believe his point, Pat, was that, in the case of the heavy physical agricultural work required here, his experience shows that most local people really will not do it, regardless of the wages offered. I had read that statement before by a female fruit grower in California, who stated that she could not find local people willing to work for her no matter how many places she advertised or what wages she offered (and she was speaking of wages of from $16 to $19 per hour).
    No offense, but with all due respect, I just don't buy it. Americans are not effete wussies who won't do hard physical work. If they can't find workers at $16 to $19 per hour, then $16 to $19 per hour is not enough for the type of work they want the workers to do.

Also, why just focus on local people? We can import people from another country with H2A visas, but we can't get people from other parts of our own country who are unemployed to do the work? It would seem to me, that another problem would be that the jobs need to be better advertised in other parts of our own country where people are out of work. Again, no offense to you intended, but I think you may be falling for OBL propaganda. If you offer Americans a fair wage, there is no job Americans won't do.

I believe his point, Pat, was that, in the case of the heavy physical agricultural work required here,
    Agriculture work is not as heavy as other jobs like pouring concrete or concrete tile roofing. It is physical but the loads are not as heavy. I know because I have done all of them.

$16-$19 an hour? Where do I sign up? I may need a few lessons digging potatoes, and a few more coffee breaks, the fresh air and losing body fat may be wonderful!
    It has gotten to the point where American workers will do anything just to put food on the table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast