Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MW
    Dixie wrote:

Good! I hope it is netting fake asylum seekers, and other residents that have applied for citizenship and are under conditions to not be returning or leaving the country. Also, it will place a 10 year restrictions on citizenship applications and create re-entry problems. Not to mention those out of status visa holders will be documented as leaving or being deported and re-entry will be at the least a criminal misdemeanor or felony (not sure which). I believe re-entry after deportation is a felony. Unlawful entry is a misdemeanor. Out of status visa is a civil but deportable offense but getting deported makes their return a felony and not just a misdemanor.

This waltzing back and forth has got to stop.

Dixie
    You make some excellent points, however, I have mixed feelings about stopping the very people we are attempting to get rid of.

Could this possibly be an attempt by our federal government (Bush and Chertoff) to stop illegals from self-deporting? Heck, I don't want to discourage illegal aliens that have decided to do exactly what we're trying to force them to do (self-deport).

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I like this:

Immigrant rights groups and other critics say the crackdown is a sad reflection of growing anti-immigrant sentiment in the country. Actually, its GROWING ILLEGAL ALIEN sentiment, but I'll give them that this time.

GROWING love the verb. You betchum red rider.

and this:

He said apprehended immigrants who returned home to Mexico would become "ambassadors of enforcement" and might help deter illegal immigration.

"Each one of these people will then report increased enforcement to family and friends when they do get home, and that will give them second thoughts about sneaking back into the U.S," he said.

OH YA BABY Great thinking.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I had the same suspicions that MW expressed ...I wonder if this could be a veiled attempt by Chertoff to keep them from self-deporting...I just have to stop being so skeptical...

Illegal Reentry into the U.S. After Removal: Crime and Punishment
    After an alien has been legally "removed" from the United States, federal criminal law makes it a felony for that alien to reenter (or be found in) the country without approval of the government.

What Constitutes "Illegal Reentry"?

Under the applicable federal criminal statute, the Immigration and Nationality Act, it is not merely illegal reentry after removal that constitutes the crime. Rather, the law applies to any alien who reenters the U.S. or is found within the country, without government approval, after having been:

Denied admission to the U.S.;
    Excluded from the U.S.;
    Deported from the U.S.;
    Removed from the U.S.; or
    Departed from the U.S. while an order of exclusion, deportation, or removal is outstanding.
    Penalties for Illegal Reentry

Under relevant federal statutes, an alien who commits illegal reentry as described above will be punished with:

A fine; or
    Imprisonment for not more than two years; or
    Both fine and imprisonment.
    Penalty Enhancements for Prior Criminal Convictions

If the alien reenters or is found in the U.S. without government approval, after a criminal felony conviction for a non-aggravated felony, or after three or more misdemeanor convictions for drug-related crimes or crimes against persons, he or she is subject punishment by:

A fine; or
    Imprisonment for not more than 10 years; or
    Both fine and imprisonment
    For aliens reentering or found in the U.S. without government approval, after a criminal conviction for an aggravated felony, the statutory maximum term of imprisonment is 20 years. Other criminal penalty increases may be imposed for aliens who have been removed after certain kinds of incarceration, and aliens deemed to be associated with terrorism.

http://immigration.findlaw.com/immigrat ... entry.html

MW,

I bet many of them are not self deporting, just going home for a visit. If it becomes difficult to go home and they end up in jail instead, I bet they wont come back. If they leave here knowing the next time they are caught, it's a felony jail sentence, they will less likely be coming back. It's a re-entry deterrent.

I'll play along. If they are self deporting, they are not planning on coming back so it doesn't matter if they waste a little time in US custody and they will still end up self deproting just with added US assistance. Also, some intentionally get caught to get a free ride home.

It's a good way to get those that didn't get caught when they came in.

The ICEman will get you, coming or going. The more difficult it becomes for illegal aliens, the better off America will be.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm not so sceptical. If their tactic is to find illegals as they leave that is one misdemeanor. With the fines, penalities for re-entry. It just starts stacking up so they already have info on the person and they work from there.

Yep, gonna get 'em coming and going! Hope Bush keeps it it. I just hope it doesn't discourage people from leaving...that's my fear.

"The policies of the Bush administration are designed to make life so difficult for immigrants in the U.S. illegally that they're forced to leave. . . . Now they're arresting people who they are actually driving out of the country. . . . Unbelievable," said Frank Sharry, executive director of America's Voice, a Washington-based immigration reform group.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12