Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Federal judge to hear arguments July 22 to stop SB 1070

Federal judge to hear arguments July 22 on whether to stop SB 1070
    StoryComments (3)
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:29 pm | Updated: 5:51 pm, Thu Jul 1, 2010.

Howard Fischer

A federal judge will hear arguments July 22 on whether to allow Arizona's tough new law aimed at illegal immigrants take effect.

U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton will consider a request by three civil rights groups to place the law on hold while the issue of its legality is litigated. They argue that the law unconstitutionally infringes on the exclusive right of the federal government to control immigration policy.

The statute, set to take effect July 29 unless blocked, requires police who have stopped someone for another reason to check their immigration status if they reasonably believe the person is in this country illegally.

Another section permits police to charge illegal immigrants with violating state trespassing laws. There also are provisions aimed at day laborers soliciting work on streets and individuals who knowingly "harbor" illegal immigrants.

Aside from questions of federal preemption, challengers say the law is likely to lead to racial profiling despite a provision in the legislation precluding police from using race, ethnicity or national origin when deciding who to question.

At the same time, Bolton also will consider arguments by Gov. Jan Brewer that the entire lawsuit should be thrown out.

"No part of SB 1070 addresses the admission, authorization or deportation of aliens from the United States," attorneys for the governor argued in their own legal papers. Instead, they argued the legislation simply allows state enforcement of federal immigration laws.

Anyway, the governor's lawyers said, the individuals who are being represented by the three groups - the American Civil Liberties Union, the National Immigration Law Center, and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund - have no right to sue because they cannot show personal harm from the law.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/arizon ... 03286.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is the judge who will probably block 1070 from being enacted on the 29th. and let it be tied up in court for many years.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    This is the judge who will probably block 1070 from being enacted on the 29th. and let it be tied up in court for many years.
    what is even worse is that she is letting Mexico file a brief in opposition to 1070

See here http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-204672.html

Impeach the District Court Judge

Although I don't live in AZ, I believe I would start a grass-roots campaign to impeach U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton for not upholding her sworn oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. She CAN be removed from her appointed position!

I live in CO and we're attempting to get an elected official to sponsor the identical law that AZ is enacting...

Re: Federal judge to hear arguments July 22 to stop SB 1070

U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton will consider a request by three civil rights groups to place the law on hold while the issue of its legality is litigated. They argue that the law unconstitutionally infringes on the exclusive right of the federal government to control immigration policy.
    There is nothing in the Constitution limiting immigration enforement to the Feds, other states are already enforcing immigration laws. If this is their argument and the judge is not a flaming liberal activist, the law will go into effect.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Impeach the District Court Judge

Quote Originally Posted by im_frank
    Although I don't live in AZ, I believe I would start a grass-roots campaign to impeach U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton for not upholding her sworn oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. She CAN be removed from her appointed position! . . .
    Since she can't be impeached between now and the 29th you might want to wait and see how she rules before you call for an impeachment. It would look bad to call for an impeachment and then find out that she ruled in our favor.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Impeach the District Court Judge

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    Quote Originally Posted by im_frank
    Although I don't live in AZ, I believe I would start a grass-roots campaign to impeach U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton for not upholding her sworn oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. She CAN be removed from her appointed position! . . .
    Since she can't be impeached between now and the 29th you might want to wait and see how she rules before you call for an impeachment. It would look bad to call for an impeachment and then find out that she ruled in our favor.
    Her judgment in this issue notwithstanding, she has extended to a foreign government access to our courts that is/has been historically reserved for the populace, in a case that clearly pits the interests of that foreign government against the affairs of a sovereign State. The Mexican government has no standing to sue, since the Mexican "government" is not harmed by the law. For that alone she should be impeached...

Everyone should chill , so far so good. People have been blowing their hot air at us but that's about it. I want to wait and see how
    She rules before freaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by marquis
    Everyone should chill , so far so good. People have been blowing their hot air at us but that's about it. I want to wait and see how
    She rules before freaking out.
    Your reply seems to demonstrate a short-sightedness that is rampant throughout the US today. She has already displayed a contempt for the Constitution and you want to wait and see how she decides a case that she shouldn't have allowed into the court in the first place? This isn't blowing hot air or freaking out - it's common sense. You don't wait and see what happens after the fox enters the hen house - you take the appropriate measures to prevent the fox from entering in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by marquis
    Everyone should chill , so far so good. People have been blowing their hot air at us but that's about it.

I want to wait and see how She rules before freaking out.
    You got that right.
    NO AMNESTY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast