Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Federal response to AZ immigration draws scrutiny

Federal response to AZ immigration draws scrutiny
    The Associated Press
    Posted: 05/21/2010 05:35:57 PM PDT

PHOENIX—The federal government reiterated Friday that immigration agents will continue to focus on deporting only the most violent and dangerous criminals even under Arizona's new law cracking down on illegal immigrants.

The government's stance on the issue has come under greater scrutiny this week since the top official with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency told the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune that his department will not necessarily process all illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona officials. John Morton said a comprehensive federal approach, not a patchwork of state laws, is the best way to reduce illegal immigration.

"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the editorial board in comments that echoed those made by Obama and other members of his Cabinet.

Morton's comments are not a departure from the government's existing focus as it prioritizes how to respond to the tens of thousands of illegal immigration cases each year. A statement from the Department of Homeland Security on Friday said the Obama administration's policy directive that its agents "focus first on criminal aliens who pose a threat to our communities" will stand.

Morton's comments drew a sharp reaction from former Rep. J.D. Hayworth, who is challenging Arizona Sen. John McCain in the Republican primary.

"If you're not enforcing the law, you are encouraging lawlessness," Hayworth said.

He called for Morton to step down.

The ICE statement said it uses it "lawful discretion" to focus on the worst criminals.

That policy is not new: With an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the country, the agency has been focused on so-called "criminal aliens" for years.

The government has been expanding a program begun under the Bush administration in 2008 called "Secure Communities" in which it funnels money to local law enforcement to identify illegal immigrants who commit crimes and target them for deportation.

Already in Arizona, nearly every person booked into major county jails is screened for their immigration status and thousands are turned over to ICE for processing. ICE has teams that respond to calls from law enforcement agencies who encounter groups of suspected illegal immigrants. And U.S. Border Patrol agents capture hundreds of thousands of migrants crossing the state's deserts every year.

But the Justice Department, at Obama's direction, is reviewing the civil rights implications of the Arizona law. The results of that review will help the administration develop a policy on how to deal with those who might be arrested under the Arizona law, which goes into effect on July 29.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_1513 ... ck_check=1
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wish I could be prez for a month. I would increase Ice agents I would tell all illegals that they should leave the country as we will hunt them down and deport them I would stop ALL immigration for a while. I would find someone with some brains to come up with a way to track people coming into this country, not that they can't do that now. Eveyone who holds a work visa will be tracked. I do not believe that American citizens should have to have a REAL ID card. I would get rid of homeland security because it is useless and a waste of taxpayer money. I would get us out of the UN. I would get rid or regulate the federal reserve. There is more I'm sure, but I am tired, thinking how busy I would be.

We have already begun a major letter writing and phone call campaign to a lot of state senators' offices and directly to John Morton's office demanding his resignation. We encourage all of you to do the same.

This Means

"The federal government reiterated Friday that immigration agents will continue to focus on deporting only the most violent and dangerous criminals even under Arizona's new law cracking down on illegal immigrants"

This means they will wait until a crime has been committed against someone (most likely an American citizen) before they will do anything to protect you. Geee, I feel so safe with people like this in office.

If they are not enforcing the laws and let things keep getting out of hand, and Hispanics get even roudier and riot in the streets, I would say they (federal government) will be guilty of "inciting a riot".
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

No, they are DELINQUENT in their promise to American citizens to "provide for the common defense"

they are bordering on traitorous actions

MW
    John Morton said a comprehensive federal approach, not a patchwork of state laws, is the best way to reduce illegal immigration.
    Mr. Morton, your job is to enforce our immigration laws, not make them! If we want your opinion, we'll just ask Obama for it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: This Means

Quote Originally Posted by Tbow009
    This means they will wait until a crime has been committed against someone (most likely an American citizen) before they will do anything to protect you. Geee, I feel so safe with people like this in office.
    I believe this is why the AZ law has a section permitting law enforcement to be sued if they are found to have ignored anyone's immigration status.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast