Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Fewer Mexicans Head Home for Holidays

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/news/local ... -Christmas
    Friday, December 23, 2005

Fewer Mexicans head home for holidays
    Those going south fear they may not be able to get back into the U.S. It's a three-year trend.

ARTHUR H. ROTSTEIN
    Associated Press Writer

For the third straight year, fewer illegal immigrants are returning to Mexico from Arizona for the holiday season, likely fearing tightened borders will make it too tough to re-enter the U.S., a Mexican consular spokesman said.

"It is happening," said Rodolfo Aguilar, a spokesman for the Mexican Consulate in Nogales, the busiest port of entry between Arizona and Sonora.

Mexican immigration figures show a decline in late-year southbound crossings through Nogales since 2003, as well as through all but one of the four other ports of entry between the two states, Aguilar said.

"Mexican authorities do not check everyone who comes into Mexico. But I think the trend is clear," he said.

Mexican immigration figures showed that 141,412 paisanos, or "countrymen" - a reference often used in Mexico to describe immigrants working in the United States - entered Mexico through the Nogales port from Nov. 24, 2003, to Jan. 11, 2004.

The number fell to 61,981 at Nogales from Nov. 18, 2004, to Jan. 9, 2005.

Figures from Nov. 1 of this year to Dec. 14 show 17,896 going through the Nogales port. Entries also fell at Agua Prieta, San Luis Rio Colorado and Naco, climbing just at Sonoyta - all of which have much fewer crossings than Nogales.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This sounds like a RAY OF HOPE, BBEAN!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Bootsie, actually this isn't all that good. I live in this area the author writes about and in the past they would head back to Mexico in droves to be with their families at Christmas. We just had 5 men turn themselves in to one of my Sheriff's Deputies the other day for that free ride home.

But the fact that fewer are going home means they are staying here. If they go home, they try to come back the same way they always did, illegally with a coyote. If they're choosing not to go home it means that it has become too costly, risky and difficult. They may feel there is a better chance at being caught when they try to re-enter.

This may mean the flow of new people has slowed down too, but the ones that stay, really make themselves at home.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Excellent point, mapwife! I guess I was just thinking along the lines of, well they've finally CRACKED DOWN on the border. But, I sure see your point. We are STUCK with the ones who are here. So, I guess there is something GOOD about it and something BAD about it! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton