Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FL:Local deputies get federal power to fight illegal immigra

COLLIER COUNTY: A new program merging local and federal powers is supposed to help fight illegal immigration in Collier County. Tuesday 27 deputies graduated from a special training course, which gives them the ability to enforce federal immigration laws.

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readartic ... 704&z=3&p=
    Video at this link also

Collier County is the first in the state of Florida to cross-train some its deputies as Immigrations and Customs Enforcement Agents.

Local officials say the new program will keep residents safer and save taxpayers money.

The special training course lasted five weeks.

"It's an awesome tool for us. This partnership allows us to identify and help remove criminally active illegal aliens in our county," said Collier County Sheriff's Office Captain Chris Freeman, who recently finished the training.

And officials say it will allow for quicker deportation of law breaking aliens.

"They will go into expulsion proceedings quicker," said Michael Rozos, who works for ICE.

In fact, the sheriff's office predicts it will get illegal immigrants out of the U.S. 50 percent faster.

"I kind of mark 60 days as the average case. Now it could be 30 days, it could be 2 or 3 days depending on their nationality," said Rozos.

Captain Freeman says that will keep Collier residents safer.

"Absolutely, if you remove the people that are predators or preying upon the innocent people of this county, yeah, it's going to have an effect," he said.

The sheriff's office says it currently spends $9 million a year to house illegal immigrants in the Naples Jail Center. Illegals make up about 25 percent of the total inmate population.

Officials say this program will reduce those numbers and save taxpayers money.

"If you could get rid of these people, I mean just the savings alone, financially, and the cost to the victims," said Captain Freeman.

Collier County may be the first county in Florida to utilize this program, but they may not be the last. Lee County is already talking with ICE about putting some of its deputies through similar training.

"We're not underway right now, but we're already been in talks and we have ongoing dialogue for months now with ICE - so in effect that part is up and running," said Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott.

To show the immediate need for the newly trained deputies, the Collier Sheriff's Office pointed out that three illegal immigrants were caught on Tuesday. They are now being processed and because of the new program could be deported in the coming weeks.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

Guess Sheriff Scott has finally had enough and none to soon ! This is great news for Lee Co. citizens.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Yeah! Now Broward and Miami-Dade need to follow suit since that's where the majority of illeglas reside.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

too little too late.... we are moving...

too little too late.... we are moving... we'll take our 170,000 a year and find a safer community

This has been hell instead of Paridise..... The Illegal Immigrant Community is here in Force
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: too little too late.... we are moving...

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    too little too late.... we are moving... we'll take our 170,000 a year and find a safer community

This has been hell instead of Paridise..... The Illegal Immigrant Community is here in Force
    I wish moving was an option for me. Too many family members to leave behind undefended and with the housing market like it is I’d loose my but on my house trying to sell it anyway.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!