Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FLA Senator Nelson Looks To Curb Gang Growth

http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGBBGO5QK9E.html

Nelson Looks To Curb Gang Growth
    By CURT ANDERSON Associated Press Writer
    Published: Jun 5, 2005

FORT LAUDERDALE - U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson last week announced legislation intended to curb the growth of violent street gangs such as MS-13, a gang with Central American origins that police said could be prevented from taking root in South Florida with focused action.
    ``A lot of these gang members come here for refuge,'' Nelson told reporters. ``We do not want them to get a toehold here.''

The legislation outlined Wednesday by Nelson would raise the maximum prison sentence from one year to 10 years for people who smuggle gang members across U.S. borders. It would also permit U.S. consular officials to deny entry visas for anyone suspected of gang ties.

Nelson met Wednesday with Broward County Sheriff Ken Jenne and a dozen other members of a South Florida antigang task force after spending three days in Honduras to discuss the MS-13 problem with Honduran President Ricardo Maduro and U.S. State Department officials.

The Justice Department estimates that nationwide there are about 10,000 members of MS-13 - short for Mara Salvatrucha - a gang that first surfaced in Los Angeles in the 1980s among migrants who fled wars in Central America, especially El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala.

According to the FBI, MS-13 has a presence in 31 states and is involved in drug trafficking as well as rape, murder, extortion, auto theft and robbery.

The gang has been associated with extreme violence and is blamed for a Dec. 23 bus attack in Honduras that killed 28 mostly women and children on a shopping trip. A note left at the scene said the attack was in retaliation for Honduran efforts to crack down on the gang.

``What they are obviously trying to do is intimidate and instill fear in a government to get them to back off,'' Nelson said.

There is also concern that MS-13 could form an alliance with al-Qaida and help terrorists gain illegal entry into the United States, Nelson said. The FBI has investigated rumors of such links but so far has found no evidence of such a partnership, according to recent congressional testimony.

Although MS-13 members have been blamed for crimes such as drug trafficking and home invasion robberies in South Florida, Jenne said the gang has not yet become entrenched in the area.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

HEY!!

That's a great idea isn't it?

Remove illegal gangs from American Society!!

I'm surprised we need new legislation for THAT, but, GO SENATOR NELSON, Whatever It Takes!!

Clean up Florida!!

You are a state we don't talk about much because of the BORDER issue in the Southwest, but we want our Coast Guard patrolling every inch of that huge water way around Florida to keep these people out!!

AND, I think we need to repeal our Asylum Act. I think the law has become more of an "Act" than a necessity of political refuge.

IMHO.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Great Senator Nelson, Florida is no longer the United States, and now you're finally lifting a finger? Just curious, what made you wake up? Tick tock tick tock tick tock goes the clock....election time draws near. (I don't think til 2008 for him).

Oh by the way, did Senator Martinez join with you on this.....OF COURSE NOT!! The illegals are his future, because he can't make it on his own merit with the American people. OPEN THE FLOOD GATES for Mr. Martinez of FLorida!!! (if he ever does anything regarding enforcing existing immigration laws...I will be totally shocked.) Watch him do nothing, oh, he will most likely support MCCain-Kennedy.

P.S. Maybe I was a little hard on Senator Nelson. Afterall, I don't want to punish him after he did the right thing. OK. THANK YOU SENATOR NELSON.
    If you take more action like that I will even vote for you!!!
    We can thank him at: http://billnelson.senate.gov/

I won't take back the punishment for Senator Martinez, though. That has to stay.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)