Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Former Cali. Candidate Tan Nguyen Sentenced After Sending Le

Former Cali. Candidate Tan Nguyen Sentenced After Sending Letter to Latinos saying Immigrants Unable to Vote
    Published February 14, 2011

Tan D. Nguyen was a Republican challenger to Democratic U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez. He was convicted of sending thousands flyers to Hispanics warning them they could go to jail or be deported if they voted in the race.

A former California candidate convicted of sending flyers to Latinos five years ago saying immigrants could not vote was sentenced to over a year in prison on Monday.

Tan Nguyen, a Republican who was running for Congress in Orange County, was sentenced to a year and a day behind bars on obstruction of justice charges. He will also serve six months in a residential re-entry program and three years of supervised release, federal prosecutor Greg Staples said.

He will start serving his term March 28.

Nguyen declined to comment on the hearing before U.S. District Court Judge David O. Carter except to say it didn't go well.

A jury convicted Nguyen in December of one count of obstruction of justice for lying to state investigators about his knowledge of a letter sent to 14,000 registered Democrats with Latino surnames during his bid to unseat Democratic Rep. Loretta Sánchez in 2006.

The letter, written in Spanish, said: "You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

Immigrants who have become naturalized U.S. citizens are eligible to vote.

During the trial, prosecutors accused Nguyen of being behind the mailer, while his defense attorney argued that Nguyen saw an initial English draft of the text but had nothing more to do with it.

The California attorney general's office, which investigated the letter, did not file criminal charges against Nguyen.

Defense attorney Dean Steward said that should have been the end of the probe. He questioned the federal government's interest in the case.

"Why is the FBI sticking their nose into it?" Steward said after sentencing. He said Nguyen will appeal his conviction.

The controversy about the letter erupted three weeks before the Nov. 2, 2006, election. Sánchez beat Nguyen by nearly 24 percentage points to earn her sixth term representing the central Orange County district, which is home to sizable Latino and Vietnamese-American communities.

Based on reporting by The Associated Press.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2 ... z1E27cQY4S
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm confused, exactly where is the lie in the flyer??? As far as I can see it was a public service annoucement. Probably bought a list of Sanchez supporters and had it sent out in Spanish. Big flippin deal!

Is Sanchez gonna get jail time for saying "The Vietnamese want to take OUR seat?"

This whole thing smells.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    I'm confused, exactly where is the lie in the flyer??? As far as I can see it was a public service annoucement. Probably bought a list of Sanchez supporters and had it sent out in Spanish. Big flippin deal!

Is Sanchez gonna get jail time for saying "The Vietnamese want to take OUR seat?"

This whole thing smells.
    I agree, a naturalized U.S. citizens should no longer be considered an immigrant in the laws eyes. The letter made no mention of naturalized citizen not being able to vote. To me, the word "immigrant" implies a person has not yet gained citizenship. In other words, if an individual has gained citizenship you would legally refer to the person as a citizen, not an immigrant. Too bad my opinion on the issue doesn't count.

The "lie" is that it is being said to be untrue because naturalized citizens were immigrants who are now citizens. I can see the issue and kind of agree legally with it but seriously it should have just called for a public correction as its more of a misunderstanding issue then actual law violation. I highly doubt there was intent to decieve. Also there is no crime related to the fact it went out to hispanic voters per say.

I'm curious what would have happened if it stated non naturalized immigrants are not allowed to vote in a federal election and thus is punishable by fines and prison time.

Personally I hope its overturned and he runs again. Then demands a recount with the court doing a small percentage check of the voters eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by ReformUSA2012
    The "lie" is that it is being said to be untrue because naturalized citizens were immigrants who are now citizens. I can see the issue and kind of agree legally with it but seriously it should have just called for a public correction as its more of a misunderstanding issue then actual law violation. I highly doubt there was intent to decieve. Also there is no crime related to the fact it went out to hispanic voters per say.

I'm curious what would have happened if it stated non naturalized immigrants are not allowed to vote in a federal election and thus is punishable by fines and prison time.

Personally I hope its overturned and he runs again. Then demands a recount with the court doing a small percentage check of the voters eligibility.
    The letter, written in Spanish, said: "You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

Immigrants who have become naturalized U.S. citizens are eligible to vote.
    I thought this last line was in the flyer but not being in quotes it seems it wasn't.

Yup, that right there was the catcher. If he added that in it woulda been fine and they may have put racist type of heat on but nothing illegal.

Why is this fella getting such a stiff sentence? Illegal aliens get days, if that, for vehicular homicide while blowing 0.24! I just do not understand this "two-tiered" legal system. Has any attorney thought of using the precedent of this system to plead for their client? Anybody?