Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Fort Lewis soldiers sworn in as U.S. citizens

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/642 ... nship.html

Thursday, November 10, 2005 · Last updated 3:22 p.m. PT

Fort Lewis soldiers sworn in as U.S. citizens

By MELANTHIA MITCHELL
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

FORT LEWIS, Wash. -- A group of Stryker Brigade soldiers who recently returned from Iraq was sworn in Thursday as U.S. citizens, an award that for many, couldn't have come soon enough.

"I'm extremely happy. Finally, I'm a citizen," Spc. Efren Cazales, who came from Mexico in 1991 and grew up in New Jersey, said after the ceremony at the post's Family Readiness Center.

Cazales and 22 other soldiers with the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division represented 17 countries, including Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and North Korea. They were part of the brigade's 4,000 members who began returning from Iraq in September.

Grasping his citizenship certificate, Cazales, 22, could only smile broadly as he celebrated afterward with fellow soldiers. "It's a feeling I can't describe."

Others shared his elation, slapping each other on the back and hugging friends and family as they clutched small American flags they were given as part of the ceremony also held in honor of Veteran's Day.

"I was excited that I finally got it. It's been over a year waiting for it," said Spc. Francisco Tejada, 27, who moved to the United States from the Dominican Republic in 2000. He was joined Thursday by his wife, Lidia, and their 2-year-old daughter, Cristina.

As of Thursday, 76 soldiers with the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division have been naturalized as U.S. citizens in the past 15 months, including during a ceremony in Baghdad.

Given soldiers' sacrifices in Iraq, U.S. citizenship was the least they deserved from a country that, until now, was not their own, brigade spokesman Capt. Duane Limpert said before soldiers took their oath.

"They're serving their country and probably have done more for their country than most Americans," Limpert said.

To become U.S. citizens, soldiers' backgrounds were checked, they were fingerprinted and interviewed on their basic knowledge of U.S. history and government, as well as understanding the principles of the U.S. Constitution.

Much of the work had to be done before the brigade deployed to Iraq for a year in 2004.

"I know it's been a long process," said Command Sgt. Maj. Victor Martinez, who congratulated the group on their achievement.

Martinez told soldiers he understood the importance of citizenship, being the son of Mexican immigrants. But he also stressed the need to, as U.S. citizens, remember "where you come from ... in order to appreciate what we have as a nation."

As the new citizens stood, raising their right hand to take the Oath of Allegiance, a handful of their fellow soldiers and relatives came forward with cameras and cell phones to capture the moment.

As certificates were presented, Spc. Jean Zamora, a Nicaraguan immigrant, gave a thumbs up to his squad leader and platoon sergeant. Several dozen fellow brigade members had packed the room to watch their buddies sworn in, and some stood on chairs to see while others spilled outside.

The last to be presented a certificate, Zamora grinned and held the paper above his head as he walked back to his chair.

It was a wonderful moment, Zamora said afterward. He emigrated from Central America to Los Angeles with his family in 1988. Coming to the country as a four-year-old, he said he has always considered it his home.

"It made me feel real proud. It's a great thing," he said.

In July 2002, President Bush signed an executive order allowing anyone on active duty after Sept. 11, 2001, to immediately apply for citizenship. Previously, legal permanent residents of the United States had been allowed to join the military and seek citizenship after three years of active service.

The average immigrant must wait five years after receiving a permanent residency green card to become eligible for U.S. citizenship - three years if they marry a U.S.-born citizen.

There were nearly 36,800 noncitizens in the U.S. military as of Sept. 1. Since Bush's executive order, more than 24,700 soldiers nationwide have received their citizenship.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Fort Lewis soldiers sworn in as U.S. citizens

There were nearly 36,800 noncitizens in the U.S. military as of Sept. 1. Since Bush's executive order, more than 24,700 soldiers nationwide have received their citizenship.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn