Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ga. County Considers Fining Landlords

Published Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ga. County Considers Fining Landlords

The Associated Press

CANTON, Ga.
    Commissioners in a suburban Atlanta county are considering fining landlords who rent to illegal immigrants, saying the immigrants strain the schools and other local resources.

The proposal would require property owners to prove their tenants live in Cherokee County legally. Landlords who didn't comply could be fined or lose their business licenses.

Georgia earlier this year approved a wide-ranging crackdown on illegal immigrants, and cities in Texas, California and Pennsylvania have enacted laws to punish landlords who rent to illegal immigrants.

The Cherokee County ordinance would only cover unincorporated areas and would not apply to cities in the county just north of Atlanta.

"That is just stupid talk," said George Ledford, a landlord owns two mobile homes in the county.

Tenants say the proposal is unfair, and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund in Atlanta said it would fight it.

County Commissioner Karen Mahurin, who introduced the ordinance last week, said illegal immigrants strain resources such as schools and emergency services.

"It is the local level that pays the bills, and (illegal immigration) has the effect of lowering the quality of life locally," said Mahurin, who hopes the ordinance would discourage illegal immigrants from coming to the county.

The commissioners have not scheduled a vote, and it's unclear when the ordinance would go into effect if approved.

"For those who are illegal like me, taking away housing is like taking away our jobs," said Miguel Rodriguez, who came to Cherokee County illegally from Mexico.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /611151835

Banned
    "For those who are illegal like me, taking away housing is like taking away our jobs," said Miguel Rodriguez, who came to Cherokee County illegally from Mexico.
    We're coming for THAT, too, Miguel. Start packing now and you can beat the rush out of state!

Re: Ga. County Considers Fining Landlords

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    Looks like we need to draw Miguel here a picture. GO HOME MIGUEL!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope miguel gets on the same bus as Elvira!
    BTW, did anyone notify ICE about miguel?
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

You need to take that up with Vicente Fox upon your return to Mexihole.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hmmmm, we have relatives in Canton. They've been complaining for quite a few years.

Go Canton!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Canton is a hotbed for illegals. It has been for years.

Have to take a ride soon a take pictures to show ya'll... It used to be a small nice town, now it looks like little Mexico... The sad part is that it is spilling down to Woodstock and surrounding areas....
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Banned
    Hey GRITS!!! Welcome to ALIPAC!!!

Has Canton got it's own Buford Hwy. yet? I used to live in Doraville and Norcross, those areas are now COMPLETELY over-run.

I moved out here to Walton County to get away from the mess.

Good to see another Georgian on the boards, we've got several.

"That is just stupid talk," said George Ledford, a landlord owns two mobile homes in the county.
    The illegals are cash cows for these slumlord mobile home owners. They can rent a old run-down home to an illegal that no self-respecting person would ever rent. They make BIG money off these trashed-out mobile homes and that's why this guy thinks "it's stupid."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast