Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GA-Protesters across state blast immigration bill

Protesters across state blast immigration bill

By KATE BRUMBACK - Associated Press

Fifteen-year-old Liliana Ascencio, of Athens, center, yells as a group protests Georgia’s Arizona-style immigration reform bill at the entrance to the University of Georgia on Friday.

Published Monday, May 02, 2011
    comments42ATLANTA - Jose-David and Lourdes Resendiz have lived in Georgia for 14 years, but with the governor likely to sign a bill passed by the legislature that aims to crack down on illegal immigration, they're packing up their things and preparing to leave.

http://images.morris.com/images/athens/ ... 078826.jpg David Manning || Fifteen-year-old Liliana Ascencio, of Athens, center, yells as a group protests Georgia’s Arizona-style immigration reform bill at the entrance to the University of Georgia on Friday.
    David ManningFifteen-year-old Liliana Ascencio, of Athens, center, yells as a group protests Georgia’s Arizona-style immigration reform bill at the entrance to the University of Georgia on Friday.

They were among a crowd at a May Day rally Sunday at the Georgia Capitol that police estimated at about 1,000. Chanting in Spanish and English, waving signs and cheering heartily for each speaker, they urged Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal to veto the bill that contains some provisions similar to a tough law enacted last year in Arizona.

Speakers encouraged illegal immigrant workers not to leave the state but instead to dig in, organize and mobilize.

"In the labor movement we have a saying 'Don't Mourn - Organize!' We may want to mourn HB 87, but let us instead organize like never before," said Ben Speight, organizer director of the Teamsters Local 728.

The bill passed by state lawmakers last month would authorize law enforcement officers to check the immigration status of certain suspects and to detain them if they are in the country illegally. It would penalize people who knowingly transport or harbor illegal immigrants and makes it a felony to present false documents or information when applying for a job. It also requires many businesses to verify the immigration status of new hires using an online federal database.

Deal, who has long been a supporter of strict immigration measures, has said he plans to sign the legislation into law.

The bill has drawn criticism from civil liberties and immigrant rights groups, who say it will encourage racial profiling. Many in the business, agriculture, service and tourism and convention sectors also have expressed concern, saying it could drive away their workforce and make Georgia seem unwelcoming.

Supporters of the bill say it's necessary to curb illegal immigration, which they say drains the state's resources and contributes to high rates of unemployment.

"Gov. Deal and the legislature found a workable solution that enforces the rule of law and protects Georgia taxpayers while upholding individuals' constitutional rights," Deal spokesman Brian Robinson wrote in an email Friday. "Illegal immigration costs Georgia taxpayers hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars, each year at the city, county and state levels."

Irving Penso, a 64-year-old Atlanta native who teaches English as a second language, said he hopes the governor will "do the right thing" and veto the bill.

"The reputation of the state is at stake; this would be a huge step backward," he said. "When one group is oppressed, it reflects badly on all of us."

Angel Salome, a 17-year-old high school junior, was brought to the United States as a 2-month-old infant strapped to his mother's back as she swam across the Rio Grande.

He spoke at the rally and said he'd like his friends to speak out as well. His favorite subject in school is U.S. history, and he plans to go to college and law school with dreams of becoming an immigration lawyer.

"I'm going to get that college degree and hopefully be able to provide some financial stability for my mother so she never has to scrub another toilet or tub again," he said after addressing the crowd.

In a nod to May Day's roots as a workers' day, Charlie Flemming, of the Atlanta-North Georgia Labor Council, part of the AFL-CIO, told the protesters that organized labor stands behind them.

"These state immigration laws unjustly target a segment of our society. It's not only unconstitutional, it's just unfair," he said.

"I think it's important for us as a labor movement to embrace our immigrant community. We're really supportive of pushing real, national immigration reform."

Resendiz, 40, who works installing insulation, said his wife is packing things up, preparing to leave their home in Buford. He's thinking of heading to Utah.

His 42-year-old wife, who works in a Chinese restaurant, said she plans to return to Mexico until he has a chance to assess the situation in Utah, and then she might join him there.

"We're illegal, but we came to this country for a better life," Jose-David Resendiz said in Spanish. "We aren't crooks; we aren't violent. We pay taxes and we spend money here. We just want to work to have a better life."

Utah's governor recently signed an immigration package that includes an enforcement law reminiscent of Arizona's and also would create a state guest worker program.

The Utah law isn't set to enter into effect until 2013 because state officials need time to seek a federal waiver - for which a process doesn't currently exist - to give the state the right to issue temporary work permits and other actions generally reserved for the federal government.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/050211/ ... 7256.shtml
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

wow, so wrapping yourself in the Mexican flag and being defiant about our American laws will endear you to Americans?

I don't think so!

Re: GA-Protesters across state blast immigration bill

Quote Originally Posted by N
    He's thinking of heading to Utah.

His 42-year-old wife, who works in a Chinese restaurant, said she plans to return to Mexico until he has a chance to assess the situation in Utah, and then she might join him there.
    It begins. They are starting to head for Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican

"The reputation of the state is at stake; this would be a huge step backward," he said. "When one group is oppressed, it reflects badly on all of us."
    Illegal aliens think THEY are the ones oppressed??????
    It's OUR government that is protecting you.
    It's OUR taxes that are aiding & abetting you.
    It's OUR jobs that you are stealing.
    It's OUR communities you are destroying.

And YOU are the ones oppressed?????

Give me a f$%&#! break.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Serves the Utah Governor right - can't wait till all the Utah mormons start getting killed by drunk driving illegal aliens and their neighborhoods vandalized and graffitti'd "to the heavens".... you wanted 'em, you got em!!!!

Glorious San Diego, and I intend on keeping it that way!!!

[quote="Newmexican"]Protesters across state blast immigration bill

All of their nonscence has only ONE agenda, to live for FREE in the US off the backs of the legal tax payers! They're waving their RAG in the wrong Country! Stunts like that are more the reason we don't want their third world trash in our Country! These people make me SICK
    <div>"Diversified"*does NOT*mean invading*our Country and forcing their culture and language,**stealing jobs,*using fake ID',s, living on government benefits, and flying their flag over ours! </div>

"In the labor movement we have a saying 'Don't Mourn - Organize!' We may want to mourn HB 87, but let us instead organize like never before," said Ben Speight, organizer director of the Teamsters Local 728.
    General Secretary-Treasurer C. Thomas Keegel
    International Brotherhood of Teamsters
    Office of the General Secretary-Treasurer
    25 Louisiana Avenue, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20001

(202) 624-6800

I was curious if this is the policy of the teamsters so I called and spoke to a nice gentleman, however he could not tell me if the teamsters are now supporting illegal immigration.
    He took my # and said someone will call me.

Maybe someone else can give them a call and find out if Mr speight was acting as Mr speight citizen or Mr speight.......representive of Teamsters?
    Illegal, or unlawful, is used to describe something that is prohibited or not authorized by law

Quote Originally Posted by alamb
    wow, so wrapping yourself in the Mexican flag and being defiant about our American laws will endear you to Americans?

I don't think so!
    THIS JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW VERY MUCH THEY WANT TO BE GRANTED CITIZENSHIP THESE PEOPLE ONLY WANT WHAT THIS COUNTRY CAN GIVE THEM AND THATS IT. I DON'T KNOW WHY OUR DUMBED DOWN GOVERNMENT CAN'T SEE/REFUSE TO SEE THIS. IT MAKES ME QUITE ILL TO SEE SCENES LIKE THIS.[/i]

Quote Originally Posted by sugarhighwolf
    Quote Originally Posted by N
    He's thinking of heading to Utah.

It begins. They are starting to head for Utah.
    IN LIGHT OF BIN LADEN BEING KILLED BY THE U.S., THAT BORDER IS STILL LIKE A REVOLVING DOOR WHERE THESE PEOPLE ARE STILL COMING AND GOING AT WILL. SHE MIGHT JOIN HIM THERE WHEN SHE SNEAKS BACK IN THE COUNTRY. THIS IS UTTER BS AND, IT NEEDS TO STOP YOU GO GEORGIA AND DON'T LET THESE ILLEGAL MEXICAN FLAG WEARING PEASANTS STOP YOU FROM PROTECTING YOUR CITIZENS.