Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Guitierrez's speech to the CATO Institute

U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez
    Speech to the Cato Institute
    "Comprehensive Immigration Reform for a Growing Economy"
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006
    (Remarks As Prepared for Delivery)

http://www.cato.org/events/pf_immigrati ... errez.html

Thank you, Dan. I appreciate the opportunity to speak at the Cato Institute.

The Institute is known for supporting individual liberty and free markets, among other important principles. You also encourage intelligent debate on important issues of our day.

I appreciate that, and your efforts to promote a robust and competitive economy.

Before I begin, I just want to talk about Cuba since it has been on the news.

At a time of great uncertainty, we want to let the people of Cuba know that we affirm our commitment – when a transition government committed to democracy is in place – we will provide aid, in areas such as food and medicine, economic recovery, and free and fair elections.

The people of Cuba have a choice: economic and political freedom and opportunity, or more political repression and economic suffering under the current regime.

We pledge to help them attain political and economic liberty.

We pledge to extend a hand of friendship and support as they build a democratic government, a strong economy and a brighter tomorrow for their families and their country.

And we pledge to discourage third parties from obstructing the will of the Cuban people.

And let me be very clear: The United States and our citizens pose no threat to the security or the homes of the Cuban people.

President Bush recognizes that Cuba belongs to the Cuban people, and that the future of Cuba is in the hands of Cubans.

And we continue to be concerned about the importance of the Cuban people observing safe, orderly, and legal plans for migration.

Now, let's talk about immigration.

I believe immigration is the domestic social issue of our time -- and a key to our future economic health.

America has dealt with difficult immigration issues in the past. There have been large waves of immigrants from Asia, Western Europe, and Eastern Europe, throughout our history.

In fact, proportionately, we have fewer foreign-born people living in the United States today than we did in 1890. In 1890, 14.8 percent of our population was foreign-born. In 2004, 12 percent was foreign born.

So, the challenges of immigration are not new for America, and I believe they create tremendous opportunities.

We are competing in a global economy. Many countries, including Germany, China, and Japan, will face declining populations in the future.

All major industrial economies are experiencing substantial growth in their population aged 65 and over. By 2025, the median age of German citizens will increase from 39 to 50 years old. Japan will also see a 46 percent growth in this age group by 2020.

The U.S. will also see our median age growing from 34 to 43. And every 60 seconds, a baby boomer turns 60.

But what separates us from other nations is our ability to assimilate immigrants and incorporate them into our workforce.

From 2000 to 2004, the U.S. Census Bureau estimated that total U.S. population grew by more than 12 million. Forty four percent of the growth resulted from immigration.

We have an incredible advantage. We can stand out from the pack by using our well-honed skills from 230 years of assimilating immigrants.

But to address the challenges of illegal immigration, take advantage of the opportunities, and strengthen our country for the rest of the century, we must show leadership. We must face reality. We must deal with immigration as it is, not as we wish it were. We must thoughtfully work through the issues, and avoid letting emotion take over the debate.

I am encouraged that we are starting to reach some consensus: Recently, more than 500 of our nation's top economists, including five Nobel Laureates, sent a letter to President Bush and all members of Congress. These economists (with diverse political views) stated unequivocally that immigration has been a net gain for American citizens.

And two-thirds of American voters say they support bills that include a temporary worker program or path to citizenship, rather than one that focuses solely on border security.

President Bush's vision for comprehensive immigration reform: Protects our borders -- Our immigration system can't work if we can't control our borders. It recognizes the needs of a growing economy. Our economy is growing faster than any other large, industrialized nation.

The reality is that we have jobs that American citizens either aren't willing to or aren't available to do.

Our unemployment rate is below the average of the past four decades. I continually hear from industries that they are having difficulty finding workers. We need sources of labor from other countries to fill jobs that aren't getting filled.

The President's proposal upholds our values. We are both a nation of laws and a nation of immigrants.

Priority number one in the President's comprehensive proposal is securing our borders.

The President has proposed: Increasing the number of Border Patrol agents from 12,000 to 18,000; Increasing the amount of technology we have at the borders, so we can know who is coming through; And improving processes to become more efficient.

In May, President Bush committed 6,000 National Guard troops to our Southwest border states. This week, we will have 6,000 National Guard members supporting Border Patrol agents along our borders as promised. The Guard's efforts are already making a positive difference. It is also helping that the Department of Homeland Security has stopped the practice of "catch and release," with every population except for one, and instead is using "catch and remove." Already the number of captured illegal immigrants has fallen by 45 percent since spring -- as fewer crossings are attempted during a normally high-volume season. And there's been a 7 percent drop in immigrant deaths in the desert, compared with last year. Clearly, the message is out that we have stepped up security at our border.

One of the best ways to secure our borders is to have immigration enforcement inside our country – in the interior.

2. We need effective interior enforcement. That may be the best way to secure our borders.

Our system needs to be fixed.

We have an underground industry built on producing false documentation for illegal workers.

Employers have a hard time helping enforce the law because they are not sure what documents they should require. A Government Accountability Office report last year found that document fraud and the large number of documents acceptable for proving work eligibility have caused significant confusion among employers.

The rules must be clear enough to hold businesses accountable for hiring people with the proper documentation. With comprehensive reform, we will ensure that businesses have the tools they need to do this, and that we can hold them accountable.

That's why we need a temporary worker's program. It would create a legal means for workers to enter the United States for a limited time.

And we need a biometric card identification system. We have the technology today to quickly and effectively use a person's unique characteristics, such as a fingerprint, to verify immigration status.

When we have a biometric system -- and we have a temporary worker's program -- dynamics will change.

Over time, it will become unlikely that people will risk their lives coming across the border illegally if it is well-known that unless you have the temporary worker's permit, you will not find a job.

This is one of the most consequential things we can do to make our borders more secure. And it demonstrates the wisdom of comprehensive immigration reform.

The other reality we must confront is that we have 12 million people who are in the country illegally. This issue will not be resolved by ignoring it, or waiting longer to confront it.

Think about the task of deporting 12 millions individuals. Is that something we are going to do as a country? The President has said it wouldn't be wise, practical, or humane.

It would require separating parents from their 3 million American-born children. Some say the children could decide if they go with their parents or stay. Can you imagine that?

Mass deportation is an extreme position, and it's not realistic.

The other extreme is amnesty. The dictionary defines amnesty as an "unconditional pardon – obliterating all memory of the offense." The President does not support amnesty, and it's not accurate or fair to call his solution amnesty.

We're talking about having a hard-earned path to legalization, which would require meeting conditions: People waiting their turn in line,
    Paying fines,
    Paying taxes,
    Learning English,
    Undergoing a criminal background check,
    And having a job.

Some argue that we are simply repeating the mistakes of the Immigration Reform and Control Act, which passed Congress in 1986. I want to make it perfectly clear that the President's proposal addresses the shortcomings of the 1986 law.

The 1986 law missed the importance of strengthening border security. The President has deployed the National Guard and is doubling the number of Border Patrol agents.

The 1986 law didn't address what draws illegal immigrants to cross our borders: that people are coming here to work. It didn't provide a Temporary Workers Program to allow those who want to work and return to do so. And it did not provide a legal means to address the needs of American businesses.

Today, we have technology that was not available in 1986. With biometric cards and the Basic Pilot system, we can hold employers accountable to verify their workers' status.

The 1986 law was not followed by any real enforcement. In contrast, the President is calling for more criminal sanctions, instead of just administrative fines.

And the 1986 law provided amnesty for 3 million illegal immigrants. As I said, the President opposes amnesty, and believes people must earn any legalization.

Earlier this month, 33 conservative leaders wrote, "The best way -- the only way -- to realize President Reagan's vision is through comprehensive immigration reform legislation."

The issues of illegal immigration are far too complex to presume they can be solved with one easy action.

What we need is leadership and reasonable compromise in the middle. We need to be talking about the right mix of immigration reform that addresses all the issues – and acknowledges that extremes aren't viable.

Just last week, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison and Representative Mike Pence offered an intriguing proposal. It provides for strong border security, while also recognizing our economy's need for temporary workers.

Their proposal acknowledges that we must secure our borders to secure our nation. The President has already taken bold steps in this direction.

Obviously, there are many details to be worked out. I met with Senator Hutchison and Congressman Pence, and they both believe their proposal is a starting point. We encourage the House and Senate to continue talking, and to continue this rational approach to finding solutions.

The other important point that President Bush makes is that we are a nation of immigrants.

And immigrants have helped make this country great. All of us here today – unless you are Native American – are immigrants or descendents of immigrants.

I'll give you my personal perspective: I came to this country in 1960 from Cuba. I was a six-year-old immigrant. On January 4, 1966, I formally became a U.S. citizen. To this day, my U.S. passport is my most valued material possession.

I'm extremely grateful that people encouraged -- even pushed me -- to learn the language and assimilate.

I'm also very thankful for the opportunities this country has given me. I believe that immigrants today just want an opportunity.

It is a false choice to think the immigration debate is a battle between America being a welcoming society and being a nation of laws.

We can be both because we are both. I ask you to commit yourself to comprehensive immigration reform. We all need to contribute to the solution.

Comprehensive immigration reform will make our country stronger, and I'm convinced that future generations will be proud of what we did. Thank you, and God bless you.

And now, I'll be glad to take your questions.

Contact Us | Jobs at Cato | Links of Interest

Support the Cato Institute
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

MW
    In fact, proportionately, we have fewer foreign-born people living in the United States today than we did in 1890. In 1890, 14.8 percent of our population was foreign-born. In 2004, 12 percent was foreign born.
    In 1890 we were a growing nation with only 62 million citizens. Now, with a population around 300 million, I'd say we're about maxed out. Our natural resources are limited and a decision must be made on the max number of people our country can adequatly support. IMHO, as the numbers grow - our quality of life decreases.

There are a lot of inconsistencies, falsehoods, and exaggerations in U.S. Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez's speech. Furthermore, he is obviously very biased on the issue of illegal immigration and it is well known he is a Bush appointee, which makes him a puppet.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

and a key to our future economic health
    We are competing in a global economy
    more than 500 of our nation's top economists
    It recognizes the needs of a growing economy
    I continually hear from industries that they are having difficulty finding workers
    We need sources of labor from other countries to fill jobs that aren't getting filled.

For the love of money
    People will steal from their mother
    For the love of money
    People will rob their own brother
    For the love of money
    People can't even walk the street
    Because they never know who in the world they're gonna beat
    For that lean, mean, mean green
    Almighty dollar, money

For the love of money
    People will lie, Lord, they will cheat
    For the love of money
    People don't care who they hurt or beat
    For the love of money
    A woman will sell her precious body
    For a small piece of paper it carries a lot of weight
    Call it lean, mean, mean green

Almighty dollar

I know the love of money is the root of all evil
    Do funny things to some people
    Give me a nickel, brother can you spare a dime
    Money can drive some people out of their minds

Got to have it, I really need it
    How many things have I heard you say
    Some people really need it
    Got to have it, I really need it
    Lay down, lay down, a woman will lay down
    For the love of money
    All for the love of money
    Don't let, don't let, don't let money rule you
    For the love of money
    Money can change people sometimes
    Don't let, don't let, don't let money fool you
    Money can fool people sometimes
    People! Don't let money, don't let money change you,
    it will keep on changing, changing up your mind.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

And two-thirds of American voters say they support bills that include a temporary worker program or path to citizenship, rather than one that focuses solely on border security.
    What a LIAR!!! If this were true, then there would be NO debate. It's the reverse, over 2/3 are against it.....AND THIS IDIOT KNOWS IT!

This was full of so much bs I'm not even going to quote anything he said. But I will add that if so many of we citizens are getting older and so we need more young people to come in it has gotten way way out of hand sir. 12-20 illegal people is a bit much don't you think? We cannot survive economically with that many allowed to stay. Don't need to take economics to realize that. Gosh I can't wait for the Bush administration to go away.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn