Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gwinnett police nab human smuggling ring on I-85

Gwinnett police nab human smuggling ring on I-85

By ANDRIA SIMMONS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/18/08

For the second time in a month, a routine police traffic stop on I-85 has led police to the discovery of human smuggling.

On Monday, Gwinnett police officers stopped a 2001 Chevrolet van with Texas license plates traveling north on I-85 at Buford Drive because its windows were tinted darker than the legal limit.

RELATED LINKS:
    • More Gwinnett news
    • More state and local news

The driver allegedly had a suspended license, but that was the least of his problems.

When officers began searching the van, they discovered 19 people crammed inside. They were lying underneath each other on the floor and between the seats of the van, said Cpl. Illana Spellman, spokeswoman for the Gwinnett County Police Department.

Further investigation revealed that the driver, 23-year-old Lazaro Ayala, was transporting his human cargo of undocumented immigrants to New York from Dallas, Texas, Spellman said. The passengers —men, five women and three children— reportedly had no possessions except the clothes on their backs.

They occupants ranged in age from 6 to 47 and told police that they had been in the country for less than three weeks.

All 20 occupants, including Ayala, were taken into custody by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for further investigation and possible deportation. Ayala may also face federal prosecution, Spellman said.

On Feb. 18, Gwinnett police found six people hiding in the bed of a 2001 Dodge pickup truck covered with blankets and four more, including the driver, in the cab when they stopped the truck for a window tint violations on I-85.
    http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... _0319.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The passengers —men, five women and three children— reportedly had no possessions except the clothes on their backs.
    Why would they need "possessions"?

They're in the land of milk and honey now. Taxpayers will pick up their tabs.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Not suprising, Gwinnett's full of them.
    Just your ordinary, average, everyday, American mom!