Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Harry Reid: 60 Votes on Immigration ‘Pretty Easy’

Please call Senator Heller and others ASAP.

Roll Call

Reid: 60 Votes on Immigration ‘Pretty Easy’

By Niels LesniewskiPosted at 6:34 p.m. today

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says he thinks there will be no trouble getting the all-important 60 votes for the immigration overhaul.

I think we have 60 votes. Remember, we start out at 55 Democrats. I think the most I’ll lose is two or three. Let’s say I wind up with 52 Democrats,” Reid told the Nevada TV program “To the Point.”

“I only need eight Republicans, and I already have four, so that should be pretty easy,” the Nevada Democrat said in reference to the four GOP senators in the “gang of eight” that drafted the bill. He may very well pick up the vote of his Republican junior colleague from his home state, Dean Heller, as well.

As reported by the Las Vegas Sun, Reid was asked about the vote-counting during the interview, after Democrat Robert Menendez of New Jersey told Univision last week that supporters didn’t yet have the 60 votes that will no doubt be needed to overcome an anticipated filibuster on the Senate floor.

“I talked about this to a number of my senators today, and what [Menendez] wanted to say is they haven’t done a whip count on this yet,” Reid told ”To the Point” as part of a lengthy interview that also included more talk about changing the filibuster rules.

Whenever Reid wants to move on immigration, the bill itself is officially ready to go. Final legislative text of the measure was posted Tuesday, building in the amendments adopted during the Judiciary Committee’s extensive markup.

Reid told reporters last week that the immigration overhaul is one of the first items in line after the farm bill that’s pending on the Senate floor. The farm policy measure is expected to be finished the week the Senate returns from the Memorial Day break.

The process undertaken by Chairman Patrick J. Leahy, D-Vt., won accolades from both sides of the aisle, even from some quarters opposing the underlying legislation drafted by the bipartisan “gang of eight” senators.

One Republican who doesn’t sit on the Judiciary panel who seems inclined to support the final legislation is Heller. In case you missed the Sunday edition of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Heller had an opinion piece that spoke favorably of the process so far.

“In order for immigration reform legislation to be successful, it must continue through Congress with an open process. These past several weeks, I have been able to work with Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and other senators involved in this important bill, and we are finding ways to make this legislation even better,” Heller wrote. “I am hopeful that this same pattern of transparency and openness will continue as Members debate the legislation on the Senate floor.”

http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/reid-...n-pretty-easy/

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    They will be Primaried one by one "Pretty Easy"
    Last edited by AirborneSapper7; 05-28-2013 at 09:04 PM.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Really? Reid by no means has all the Dems!

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Reid says GO8 Attack on Freedom an ‘Easy’ Pass

by THE BLOG on MAY 29, 2013

Senate Leader Harry Reid says that getting votes for the Gang of Eight’s immigration reform will be “easy.”

“I think we have 60 votes,” the Nevada Senator told the Las Vegas Sun. “Remember, we start out at 55 Democrats. I think the most I’ll lose is two or three. Let’s say I wind up with 52 Democrats. I only need eight Republicans, and I already have four, so that should be pretty easy.”

Video at the Page Link:
    http://www.conservativeactionalerts....-an-easy-pass/

What an attack on liberty.

Seeing that this bill is moving forward with ease — it is expected to reach the Senate floor as early as next week — we must demand that lawmakers make it “less bad” by erasing its dangerous language through amendment.

Despite the fact that S. 744 does little to actually ensure our borders are secure — the root of our illegal immigration problem — the bill does stand as a threat to the personal privacy of all Americans.

Included in the GO8 plan is language for a national photo database maintained by state governments but utilized by the Department of Homeland Security — this “photo tool” provision within the bill simply transfers more surveillance power to Big Brother Washington and must be removed from the legislation.

‘The Secretary shall develop and maintain a photo tool that enables employers to match the photo on a covered identity document provided to the employer to a photo maintained by a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services database,” says GO8 plan.

Social Security, as bad as it was when it was created, was never intended to be more than a number. If the immigration reform bill’s language is not changed, every individual’s social security number would be attached to their photo, name, age, and driver’s license creating a type of biometric database.

Once this is established, there is no telling where it may lead. Will we need to show papers to purchase a car? A plane ticket out of the country? Open a bank account?

The GO8 plan as it stands looks much more like a surveillance-grant to the federal government rather than a plan to actually fix our borders and remedy our immigration system.

Senators must remove all language that would or could establish greater government surveillance over private citizens and their personal activities. Simply, the federal government has no Constitutional authority to do what they are trying to do with S. 744.

Please add your name to the Conservative Action Alerts petition and message your lawmakers demanding that they erase provisions for a national I.D. in the GO8 immigration plan — sign the petition. For an even greater impact, fax several or all members of Congress on this issue — select here.

Tagged as: big brother, big government, E-verify, fourth amendment, gang of eight immigration dangers, gang of eight immigration reform, harry reid on gang of eight passage,immigration reform, national I.D. card, privacy, second amendment

http://www.conservativeactionalerts....-an-easy-pass/

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

working4change
    First article added to the Homepage
    http://www.alipac.us/content/harry-r...-easy%92-1863/