Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Has Bush Given Up on Immigration?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00717.html

Has Bush Given Up on Immigration?

By Dan Froomkin
    Special to washingtonpost.com
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007; 1:20 PM

The much-anticipated immigration compromise cobbled together last week by the White House and a bipartisan group of senators isn't going anywhere without a lot of aggressive campaigning by the president.

But where is President Bush? Not exactly out on the hustings.

"Supporters had expected opposition from both ends of the political spectrum. But they conceded they were taken aback by the furious response over the weekend, especially from conservatives, who declared that the legislation is nothing short of amnesty for lawbreakers."

Carolyn Lochhead writes in the San Francisco Chronicle: "The powerful interest groups whose backing is critical to an overhaul of U.S. immigration policy are fracturing over the new bipartisan 'grand bargain' in the Senate, setting up a brawl over changes that could tear the fragile deal apart...

"Add to that the withering fire from conservatives, a tepid welcome from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's faint praise of the bill as a 'starting point,' and what has been billed as a 'grand bargain' on immigration appears to be unraveling before the debate even begins."

Robert Pear and Michael Luo write in the New York Times: "From the moment debate started, the crosscurrents buffeting the bill were evident. The intense lobbying since the bill emerged last week from three months of bipartisan negotiations is likely to be just a sample of what lawmakers will hear as they return home to their districts for the Memorial Day recess."

Re: Has Bush Given Up on Immigration?

The intense lobbying since the bill emerged last week from three months of bipartisan negotiations is likely to be just a sample of what lawmakers will hear as they return home to their districts for the Memorial Day recess."

Oh, you can COUNT on that!

I hope he has given up. He has tried in vain to break our will by frustrating us in the things that he says and the things that he doesn't say and sometimes with pure silence, when we would have expected and hoped that he would and should say something regarding illegal immigration.

Essentially the way I see it, is that he's pushed us into a corner, attempting to frustrate us to the point that we might reach our breaking point and give in. I think he might be surprised that we haven't and that we are doing quite well, in fact.

Personally, I would not be surprised if he might be really, really angry about this and maybe at us.

(gulp)

Oh well.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope he has given up. He has tried in vain to break our will by frustrating us in the things that he says and the things that he doesn't say and sometimes with pure silence, when we would have expected and hoped that he would and should say something regarding illegal immigration.
    He's too stupid to give up, he'll take himself down and the country with him.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Banned
    The much-anticipated immigration compromise cobbled together last week by the White House and a bipartisan group of senators isn't going anywhere without a lot of aggressive campaigning by the president.
    The last place they want Bush is out pushing for the bill with the hatred he has generated across the country--look at his non-existent approval rating--below 28%. Sure way to kill any bill...

Quote Originally Posted by olivermyboy
    The last place they want Bush is out pushing for the bill with the hatred he has generated across the country--look at his non-existent approval rating--below 28%. Sure way to kill any bill...
    OLIVER did you get your PM. sorry it took so long I was out pulling weeds and then watched Senate hearing. They just pissed me off!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Re: Has Bush Given Up on Immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by ProudAmericanFamily
    The intense lobbying since the bill emerged last week from three months of bipartisan negotiations is likely to be just a sample of what lawmakers will hear as they return home to their districts for the Memorial Day recess."

Oh, you can COUNT on that!
    We have only just begun, HUH, save the best of the fireworks for the celebration whens its all over
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Do not "misunderestimate" the chimp in charge.

The thought that popped into my head tonight while watching Lou Dobbs talk about the utterly fantastical, outrageous things in this bill (Americans paying for invaders' attorneys!) was "no one can be this crazy".

What I'm afraid of is that those outrageous parts were put in because they knew we would be screaming.

Watch the CORE of the bill - including amnesty. They'll be willing to drop the outrageous demands of the bill in order to get what they're really after. And then how can we complain after they've dropped so many of the provisions already? Won't we seem "unreasonable"?

We have to watch these b*sturds CLOSELY.

Quote Originally Posted by American

Quote Originally Posted by American

The thought that popped into my head tonight while watching Lou Dobbs talk about the utterly fantastical, outrageous things in this bill (Americans paying for invaders' attorneys!) was "no one can be this crazy".

What I'm afraid of is that those outrageous parts were put in because they knew we would be screaming.

Watch the CORE of the bill - including amnesty. They'll be willing to drop the outrageous demands of the bill in order to get what they're really after. And then how can we complain after they've dropped so many of the provisions already? Won't we seem "unreasonable"?

We have to watch these b*sturds CLOSELY.

Wow... never thought of that... but it sounds like it DEAD ON!!
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast