Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

HAZELTON mayor, Lou Barletta, wins 3rd term by landslide

Mayor who targeted illegal immigrants easily wins third term
    Last Update: 7:33 am

HAZLETON, Pa. (AP) - Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta easily won re-election Tuesday to a third term, and in his victory party he talked about fighting drugs and violence in the city.

He also talked about the issue of illegal immigrants.

He said, "We've seen what illegal immigration has done to our small town quality of life and we have said, 'No! We will not let this happen."' He said, "We will fight!"

Barletta, a Republican, gained national prominence by targeting illegal immigrants living in his Luzerne County city.

Yesterday, he defeated Libertarian candidate John Medashefski, a coffee shop owner who had argued that the city should drop its costly effort to push through a law targeting illegal immigrants.

Unofficial returns showed Barletta winning 90 percent of the vote to Medashefski's 10 percent.
    http://www.whptv.com/news/state/story.a ... 3c33f2d6d2
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hazleton mayor coasts to third term
    The Associated Press, 11/07/07 7:22 AM EST
    UPDATED: 11/07/07 7:29 AM EST

HAZLETON — Mayor Lou Barletta, a Republican who gained national prominence by targeting illegal immigrants living in this small city, easily won re-election Tuesday to a third term.

He defeated a Libertarian candidate, John Medashefski, a coffee shop owner who had argued the city should drop its costly effort to push through a law targeting illegal immigrants.

Unofficial returns showed Barletta winning with 3,530 votes, or 90 percent, to Medashefski’s 405 votes, or 10 percent.

In the primary, Barletta also won the Democratic nomination as a write-in candidate, easily defeating a comeback bid by a former mayor and leaving himself with no Democrat to face in the general election.

Last year, Barletta pushed through a law that targeted landlords who rented to illegal immigrants and businesses that employed them in this city of 30,000. The law, emulated by dozens of towns around the nation, was struck down by a federal judge as unconstitutional. The judge said states and municipalities cannot regulate immigration.

The city has since appealed.

At his victory party at an Elks Club, Barletta talked about fighting drugs and violence in the city and about the issue of illegal immigrants.

“We’ve seen what illegal immigration has done to our small town quality of life and we have said, ‘No! We will not let this happen,’â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"He defeated a Libertarian candidate, John Medashefski, a coffee shop owner "

Wonder how business is doing at the coffee shop...breakfast buritos?

Hazleton city council

GOP’s Graham, Yannuzzi sail to new terms
    Democrat challengers say fact that Illegal Immigration Relief Act originated with incumbents was difference-maker.
    By Steve Mocarsky smocarsky@timesleader.com
    Staff Writer

HAZLETON – The city will apparently continue its illegal immigration fight all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court with the apparent triumph Tuesday night of incumbent council members Joe Yannuzzi and Evelyn Graham.

The GOP team, who sailed to victory on a ticket with Republican Mayor Lou Barletta, have supported his stance on illegal immigration and appealing a federal judge’s decision to strike down the city’s illegal immigration ordinance as unconstitutional.

And that issue is what the challengers for the two council seats attribute to their loss by an approximate 2-1 margin, unofficial results show.

“Obviously, that was the main issue in the election. … Of course, we supported (the Illegal Immigration Relief Act ordinance), but it was their baby, their idea. We were just worried about paying back $2.4 million (in legal fees),â€

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz

Or maybe a large selection of humble pie?

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz

Or maybe a large selection of humble pie?
    Good for Mayor Barletta. Those who oppose the will of the people will fall mighty hard. If the didn't think so at the beginning of this year, I bet they are realizing now. Too bad for them that its too late to shift gears. Their pandering to illegals and their fans will be the death nail in their political coffins.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Saw him interviewed on Neal Cavuto today. He said he won mainly on the immigration stand. He thinks the federal races need to really look at it.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Woooooooooo hooooooooooo... I love this guy

Republican Mayor Lou Barletta, Known for His Tough Stance Against Illegals, Wins Reelection in a Landslide
    Thursday , November 08, 2007

This is a rush transcript from "Your World with Neil Cavuto," November 7, 2007. This copy may not be in its final form and may be updated.

NEIL CAVUTO, HOST: Get-tough-on-illegals Mayor Lou Barletta just winning reelection by a landslide in Hazleton, Pennsylvania, a sign cracking down on illegals won't hurt GOP presidential candidates in '08.

Well, let's ask him.

Mayor, welcome. Congratulations.

LOUIS BARLETTA, MAYOR OF HAZLETON, PENNSYLVANIA: Thank, Neil. We're glad to be here with you today.

CAVUTO: You were under enormous heat for your get-tough policies, some of whom were saying that you were circumventing Uncle Sam. You said, Uncle Sam was dropping the ball. And away you went. And away the voters went for you.

A signal, you think?

BARLETTA: I think it is. I think it is obvious that the country is looking for leaders who are not afraid to stand up for the American people, both in the primary, where I won with 85 percent of the vote on the Republican side, and also beat the Democrat, the former mayor of Hazleton, on a write-in campaign by a 2-1 margin, and, in this election, won by 90 percent, with 90 percent of the vote.

I think it is very clear what the American people want.

CAVUTO: You know, I have already heard people saying, run this guy for Senate. Have they been talking to you?

BARLETTA: Well, you know, I am very happy being the mayor of Hazleton right now. And I realize that we need to continue this fight all the way to the Supreme Court. It's that important.

And I think our action, our leadership in Hazleton has caused other mayors and — and elected officials around the country to take a step forward and not be afraid to stand up for what the will of the people are. And I think that is what we will see in the presidential election next year.

CAVUTO: All right.

Mayor, as you know, Senator Hillary Clinton ran into a buzz saw last week on this very issue, when she then grudgingly, later, said she agreed with the New York Governor Eliot Spitzer's plan to offer driver licenses to illegals.

Is this an issue that bites the Democrats?

BARLETTA: I think it does very much. And it will — I think it will be very transparent when the — when we get to the general election, with the difference between the Democrats and the Republicans. The American people want action. The federal government has failed us, which has caused cities like Hazleton to have to stand up and defend ourselves.

I truly believe that the country is looking for leaders who will do just that, stand up for the will of the American people. And illegal immigration is at the top of that list.

CAVUTO: Well, it was certainly a defining issue in your race, Mayor. But it was also a defining issue in the 2006 midterm campaign. And Republicans were — were shot down. And many said that, maybe nationally, this was not the big issue some thought, or — or a lot of key Republicans would have survived. And they did not.

What do you say?

BARLETTA: Well, I disagree. I believe it is at the top of the list. I believe the average American can now see how illegal immigration is affecting them, when a city like Hazleton — it's in northeastern Pennsylvania — has to stand up and defend itself, when it's is affecting our health care, our education system, our ability to provide municipal services, when it's causing a burden on — on the taxpayers.

Action needs to be taken. And, again, we need that to start in Washington. And — and that is what the American people are looking for. And I think my election — I think how the people are responding to that message is a clear indication of what the American people are expecting.

CAVUTO: I'm curious. And I don't know this, Mayor. Maybe you do. What was your percentage of the Hispanic vote?

BARLETTA: I am not certain. I am not certain.

But, you know, Neil, what is — what is amazing — and it does not get reported as much as it should — that a large portion of that Hispanic population actually supports what I am doing, those that are in the country legally, that want their tax dollars to be spent on them, that want their children to have the education that they should be getting, and not have some of the money and resources diverted to those who are — are in the classroom who would not be. They see the difference.

CAVUTO: Well, I agree. We have had them here, Mayor. And, apparently, you are right about that.

Mayor, again, congratulations. We will be following your career very, very closely.

BARLETTA: Thank you.

CAVUTO: Mayor Lou Barletta, who a lot of people are saying, go, baby, go, for even higher office. We shall see.

Mayor, again, thank you.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,309618,00.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast